Google: People Also Ask

April 6th, 2024 at 6:47:47 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
local history involves the Indian Wars ... one place where the Indians got their licks in [called a massacre of course] is close to me

>>>

what were the years of the french and indian war?

The French and Indian War was the North American conflict in a larger imperial war between Great Britain and France known as the Seven Years' War. The French and Indian War began in 1754 and ended with the Treaty of Paris in 1763.
__

was the 7 years war actually 9 years?

Officially, the conflict lasted just under seven years: from Britain declaring war on France on 17 May 1756, to the Treaty of Paris on 10 February 1763. But hostilities had begun two years earlier in North America, with the British and French engaging in skirmishes and ambushes along the border of their territories
__

Why were the Native Americans considered the real losers of the 7 Years war?

As a result of the Seven Years' War, Native Americans were no longer able to play the French off against the British and found it increasingly difficult to slow the advance of white settlers into the western parts of New York, Pennsylvania, North and South Carolina, and Virginia.
__

what indian wars preceded the french and indian war?

The title French and Indian War in the singular is used in the United States specifically for the warfare of 1754–63... The French and Indian Wars were preceded by the Beaver Wars.
_

when was Pontiac's war?

Pontiac's Rebellion (1763-1765) was an armed conflict between the British Empire and Algonquian, Iroquoian, Muskogean, and Siouan-speaking Native Americans following the Seven Years' War.
__

what was the massacre of Kerr's Creek?

The Massacre of Kerr's Creek took place near the Big Spring a few hundred yards from this spot. [I've seen the marker] Oct. 10, 1764 A band of Shawnee Indians coming over the mountains from the Ohio surprised the fort and killed from fifty to sixty persons. [I think this was part of Pontiac's War]
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
April 6th, 2024 at 11:07:32 AM permalink
odiousgambit

https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=107985
April 7th, 2024 at 4:56:01 AM permalink
odiousgambit
never heard of the Odawa tribe

___

Who was Pontiac and why was he important? [a question straight from a homework assignment!]

Overview. Pontiac was a leader of the Odawa tribe located in the area of modern-day Ontario, Canada, and the Great Lakes region. He led a rebellion against the British colonists after they expanded their military presence in the Great Lakes area during and after the French and Indian War.

__

Pontiac was assassinated on April 20, 1769, by a Peoria warrior whose name has not been preserved. [now Peoria I've heard of!]
April 8th, 2024 at 4:28:16 AM permalink
odiousgambit
I'm reading a couple of murder mystery authors, J Sydney Jones and Frank Tallis, who are really into Vienna and especially the era when Franz Joseph was emperor. They seldom mention him by name, but I would say they are trying to relate that he was the type of monarch that make a good name for monarchies, in the idea that kings and such are typically bad for a country, but when they are good, it can be the way to go.
__

What was Franz Josef known for?

Franz Joseph | Life, Hapsburg, Wife, & Significance | Britannica
Franz Joseph was the emperor of Austria (1848–1916) and king of Hungary (1867–1916). He divided his empire into the Dual Monarchy, in which Austria and Hungary coexisted as equal partners. In 1879 he formed an alliance with Prussian-led Germany. In 1914 his ultimatum to Serbia led Austria and Germany into World War I
__

Was Franz Joseph a good ruler?

Franz Joseph: The most beloved emperor of the Habsburg ...
Franz Joseph is known to have been a solid but hard-working, serious ruler. He was awarded numerous medals and honors during his lifetime. Habsburg bureaucracy is generally considered to be strict but honest and very well-organized.
__

[The people in 'people also ask' pile on about inbreeding. Franz Joseph is not mentioned in this connection]

Who were the most inbred nobles?

The Habsburg noble family were the kings and queens of much of Europe—and of inbreeding
April 9th, 2024 at 8:07:34 AM permalink
odiousgambit
I thought I heard once that Chinese people starved during the Korean War as resources were directed to that effort. Nothing comes up in a quick google response, I might try Wikipedia or not

this came up instead, it was during the Great Leap Forward

>>>

When was the Chinese starvation?

Forty years ago China was in the middle of the world's largest famine: between the spring of 1959 and the end of 1961 some 30 million Chinese starved to death and about the same number of births were lost or postponed.
April 10th, 2024 at 3:44:00 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: odiousgambit
....the world's largest famine...some 30 million Chinese starved to death
like Stalin said, a single death is a tragedy, but a million deaths are just a statistic
April 10th, 2024 at 3:49:46 AM permalink
odiousgambit
another one where I was searching for something else, winding up at wikipedia

>>>

"Halicephalobus mephisto is a species of nematode [worm]... recovered from deep rock fracture water in several gold mines in South Africa [up to 2.2 miles] under the surface of the Earth. Onstott said that "it scared the life out of me when I first saw them moving"
Halicephalobus mephisto is resistant to a temperature as high as 37 °C [98.6 F]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halicephalobus_mephisto
April 12th, 2024 at 4:26:23 AM permalink
odiousgambit
another gem from Louis Begley, this time 'Schmidt Delivered'

Do you know any female psychiatrists, have any interactions? You can call me biased or someone making conclusions on thin personal interactions, but I say what I'm going by isn't all that thin and they are a 'type' ... yep, a type I don't like... and I got a kick out of this

>>>

["Renata" is one such, and also the interfering mother-in-law of his daughter]

"...Renata... Why hadn't he strangled her, in plain sight of the afternoon crowd on Fifth Avenue, after their first and only lunch tete-a-tete? ... Voices have told me I had better waste that shrink before she wasted me. No American jury would have taken more than five minutes to acquit me: self-defense or in the worst case not guilty by reason of insanity." [he allows Schmidt to rant a lot in this one]
April 12th, 2024 at 4:38:08 AM permalink
odiousgambit
what are women psychiatrists like?

Women psychiatrists are able to create a comfortable and nonjudgmental atmosphere, which is essential for effective communication. Women psychiatrists understand the unique needs of their patients, and they are dedicated to providing personalized care that caters to their individual needs. [no comment]
April 16th, 2024 at 12:56:59 PM permalink
odiousgambit
I was wondering why my doctor never asks for urine samples

>>>

Currently, most diseases that we can detect with urinalysis can be diagnosed much earlier with blood tests. Since blood testing is more common in doctors' offices now and urinalysis adds little new information, many doctors do not do it routinely