Google: People Also Ask

April 16th, 2024 at 1:12:44 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: odiousgambit
I was wondering why my doctor never asks for urine samples

>>>

Currently, most diseases that we can detect with urinalysis can be diagnosed much earlier with blood tests. Since blood testing is more common in doctors' offices now and urinalysis adds little new information, many doctors do not do it routinely

'Cause he already knows you'd fail a drug test.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 17th, 2024 at 2:04:58 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I was wondering how long ago it was when using stitches was a practice

>>>

The earliest reports of surgical suture date to 3000 BC in ancient Egypt, and the oldest known suture is in a mummy from 1100 BC.
__

What did humans do before stitches to treat wounds?

- Quora. Tourniquets, fire, mud or clay, saliva — yes, sticking a wound in your mouth takes advantage of immunoglobulins present in your saliva, etc. Nothing: Yes, many wounds heal surprisingly well without additional measures beyond natural clotting
__
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
April 17th, 2024 at 6:39:02 AM permalink
rxwine
You pour gunpowder on it, and set it on fire.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 18th, 2024 at 3:13:47 AM permalink
odiousgambit
I have been hearing about Bitcoin Halving, and guessed it meant something similar to a stock split. Nope.

>>>

The bitcoin halving is an event that happens roughly every four years where rewards to miners are cut in halve, effectively limiting supply of the token. The bitcoin halving is imminent. This technical event, written in bitcoin's code, happens every four years
April 18th, 2024 at 3:16:33 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Note the use above of 'halve' as a noun, "rewards to miners are cut in halve". Formally, the spelling 'halve' is only for the verb, as a noun it's 'half'. Yes that was bothering me.

It's possible that for the Bitcoin people, it may be common misuse, so like the word 'friend' something that was a noun or verb only, originally, can be transformed into both by misuse becoming so common. As for 'halve' I'm not looking into it any further in this aspect.
April 18th, 2024 at 4:30:31 AM permalink
rxwine
If I had remembered the word mutton, I wouldn't have looked this up.

Quote:
**Sheep meat** is typically referred to as **"lamb"** when it comes to culinary terminology, regardless of the animal's age. However, there are specific distinctions based on age:

1. **Lamb**: This term specifically denotes meat from a young sheep, usually under **one year old**. Lamb is known for its tender texture and mild flavor. It's commonly used in various dishes worldwide.

2. **Mutton**: Mutton refers to meat from an **adult sheep**, typically over **one year old**. Mutton has a stronger flavor and can be tougher compared to lamb. It's less commonly consumed in some Western countries but is popular in others.

So, while "lamb" is the common term, it's essential to recognize the difference between lamb (young sheep) and mutton (adult sheep) when discussing sheep meat. 🐑🍖

I never ordered mutton though. Never seen it on a menu, though it could have been in a foreign language.
April 18th, 2024 at 4:51:06 AM permalink
odiousgambit
It's hard to get mutton in any reasonable quantity. I suspect I would like it in a good cut, as a strong flavor in a meat usually is no problem for me. However, I don't want something tough or that has a bunch of gristle, and when I decided I had my doubts about mutton some 50 years ago that's what I remember about it. It was served in a school cafeteria.

Kentucky has a tradition of BBQd Mutton ... to get it today it seems you have to attend a festival or maybe there is a tiny few places that serve it once in a while
April 19th, 2024 at 1:50:25 AM permalink
odiousgambit
recent news about the electricity AI needs and how it is growing exponentially ... it's about to eat us alive

>>>

Why is AI so energy intensive?

One of the main contributors to AI energy consumption is the complexity of model architectures. Traditional AI models often require extensive computational power, leading to energy-intensive processes.
__

Does ChatGPT use a lot of energy?

ChatGPT is probably using up more than half a million kilowatt-hours of electricity to respond to some 200 million requests a day. ChatGPT uses more than half a million kilowatt-hours of electricity daily, The New Yorker reported. In comparison, the average US household uses just 29 kilowatt-hours.
__

Energy companies increasingly cite AI power consumption as a leading contributor to new demand. AES, a Virginia-based utility, recently told investors that data centers could comprise up to 7.5% of total U.S. electricity consumption by 2030, citing data from Boston Consulting Group.
April 19th, 2024 at 8:42:57 PM permalink
rxwine
Now that someone spelled it out, it really had a simple formula. But it worked real well for the show.

Quote:
Rod Serling and his producer Buck Houghton had some rules for The Twilight Zone in order to ensure that the indescribable feeling of the show was preserved through its run

The rules included focusing on ordinary characters in extraordinary settings, limiting each episode to one miracle or imaginative circumstance, and the premise must be established quickly for tight, engaging storytelling.

It did change more often when it went into the hour format though. Too much time to fill up I guess.
April 21st, 2024 at 2:08:53 AM permalink
odiousgambit
When I was growing up, the adults in the family used rubbing alcohol for chafing problems, with a warning the initial pain could be remarkable. It really works, though, and I still use it. I've noticed the medical profession has moved away from this usage, and I suspect it is because of inflicting pain. They give other reasons, the first is typical. Also I note there are warnings about pure isopropyl, which you cannot buy.

>>>

Alcohol is a drying agent and can be found in many products, including deodorants and antiperspirants. This can cause skin irritation, especially for people with sensitive skin. Alcohol also makes the skin more prone to chafing because it dries out the outermost layer of your skin.
__

Some people may find rubbing alcohol irritates their skin. People can wash the substance away with soap and water if this occurs. People should never use pure isopropyl alcohol on their skin because it can pass through the skin and cause toxicity.
__

is 70% isopropyl the same as rubbing alcohol?

Rubbing alcohol is a diluted form of isopropyl alcohol. Sometimes, it also contains other ingredients, such as wintergreen essential oil. While the concentration of isopropyl alcohol is 100%, the concentration of many brands of rubbing alcohol is 70%.