Israeli conflict

December 1st, 2023 at 4:35:28 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
NYtimes reported Israel had a complete blueprint of Hamas attack a year before. I don't know who the persons or persons will be the highest up that didn't take it seriously enough, but I would probably be thinking of extraditing myself to a completely new country real soon.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 1st, 2023 at 4:59:40 PM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
Quote: rxwine
NYtimes reported Israel had a complete blueprint of Hamas attack a year before. I don't know who the persons or persons will be the highest up that didn't take it seriously enough, but I would probably be thinking of extraditing myself to a completely new country real soon.

Reporting also stated Israel ignored the warnings, as being too ambitious for Hamas to pull off. Yet, the IDF observed Hamas practicing the exact same operation a few months beforehand.
December 1st, 2023 at 5:00:18 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27

I have mixed feelings about this (assuming it is true, I have not read the article, and do not know what was leaked/implied.) Hamas has been planning massive attacks on Israel for the last three decades. So I am sure the Israeli Army gets endless binders of "massive planned attacks for next year...." probably several times a month.

This is like the people who got upset at Bush because Bin Laden's plans were known to the government. Yes, but he also had constant plans for massive attacks on the U.S.

It is one of those things that such people are constantly planning (which generally means just roleplaying personal fantasies) about this epic attack, 99% of the time it is nonsense that never happens. However, the one time they succeed by a fluke, this gets cited as evidence of not taking them seriously.

Another good equivalence is people calling to warn that the President is going to get assassinated (or attempted), the Secret Service / FBI gets dozens of calls a day warning of wacky conspiracies about how there is an imminent threat. However, when the President actually gets shot suddenly, "oh well there were x number of calls to the government warning of violence that day, why were additional measures not taken...."
December 3rd, 2023 at 4:39:45 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
I wonder how we've war gamed the scenario for when we go to war with Iran?

It's inevitable, and needs to happen.

*hears the sound of the drums of war beating*
December 3rd, 2023 at 4:59:47 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: missedhervee
I wonder how we've war gamed the scenario for when we go to war with Iran?

It's inevitable, and needs to happen.

*hears the sound of the drums of war beating*

We have war gamed what to do if Canada invades.

No, it doesn't need to happen. Could cause the collapse of the USD and with it the USA. Geographically Iran is uninvadanble. It gets worse from there.
The President is a fink.
December 3rd, 2023 at 5:57:47 PM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
Quote: AZDuffman
We have war gamed what to do if Canada invades.

No, it doesn't need to happen. Could cause the collapse of the USD and with it the USA. Geographically Iran is uninvadanble. It gets worse from there.

The ancient Greeks, the Mongols and Timur might have something to say about Iran being uninvadable. That being said, war with Iran in the list of the absolutely last things the US needs now or in the near future.
December 3rd, 2023 at 9:50:44 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
All I'm saying is that it will happen someday, so why not strike sooner rather than later?

They will do somethng really stupid and provocative to warrant us unleashing our initmitable lethal whoop-ass upon them and blasting them back to the stone age.

They just attacked a US destroyer via their Houthi proxies and are attacking shipping in the Red Sea: it won't be long.

*hears beat of war drums*
December 4th, 2023 at 2:46:53 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: GenoDRPh
The ancient Greeks, the Mongols and Timur might have something to say about Iran being uninvadable. That being said, war with Iran in the list of the absolutely last things the US needs now or in the near future.

There is no nation we could stage an invasion of Iran from. That alone makes it impossible. But it gets worse. The place is full of mountains which will make transportation of an army next to impossible. Finally, Iran is one of those countries that is way bigger than it looks. You might occupy Tehran and some ports, but you are not going to control the countryside.

The better thing to do is encourage Iran to invade Afghanistan. Let them do the fighting for our side.
The President is a fink.
December 4th, 2023 at 2:01:51 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Does anyone think there is a possibility Putin funneled money to Hamas and gave them the "go" signal? I know it was already being planned by Hamas, but Putin may have seen an opportunity to throw a wrench in the U.S. focus on Ukraine by getting a major Allie attacked.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 4th, 2023 at 3:39:21 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Does anyone think there is a possibility Putin funneled money to Hamas and gave them the "go" signal? I know it was already being planned by Hamas, but Putin may have seen an opportunity to throw a wrench in the U.S. focus on Ukraine by getting a major Allie attacked.

I doubt that is the case but you never know. More likely he placed a call to Iran and mentioned this would be a good time because NATO is distracted.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.