Israeli conflict

December 5th, 2023 at 2:27:56 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: GenoDRPh
The ancient Greeks, the Mongols and Timur might have something to say about Iran being uninvadable. That being said, war with Iran in the list of the absolutely last things the US needs now or in the near future.
finally we agree on something!
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 5th, 2023 at 5:53:37 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
It is only a matter of time before the US is forced into a war with China, Russia and Iran. It is inevitable.

The 1,500 sanctions that Trump imposed on Iranian indivuals and entities, reduced their annual oil revenues 67% to $21 billion in 2020 and forced the regime to cut their military budget by 24%. Since then, Biden lifted a number of the sanctions, including sanctions on two Iranian missile producers, and their oil revenues nearly doubled in 2021 and reached $57 billion in 2022. Their oil revenues reached a five year high in June 2023. All thanks to Biden.

'Biden lifts sanctions on two Iranian missile producers'

Those companies provide the missiles used by Hamas, Hezbollah and the Houthi's in Yemen and Syria.

'How does Hamas get its weapons?'

December 5th, 2023 at 5:59:59 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Tanko
It is only a matter of time before the US is forced into a war with China, Russia and Iran. It is inevitable.

Good to know it is inevitable. Less reason to re-elect Trumpie.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 5th, 2023 at 8:01:36 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Tanko

Not totally. We have been at cold war with all three for at least a generation. The key is keeping it from going hot.

China and Russia are demographic implosions happening right before our eyes. Both may break apart in a generation, though the USA may very well break up too so then it really would not matter. But if we keep waiting it out they will weaken.

Iran was a key USA ally until 1978. Its people are hardly happy. They had their own French Revolution in 1979, but the results gave them worse than what they had. Maybe another happens? Keep waiting it out.
The President is a fink.
December 5th, 2023 at 9:05:35 AM permalink
PotPie
Threads: 5
I've stated something similar before but I feel like stating it again
every time I look at a newspaper I read about some high level U.S. spokesperson lecturing the Israelis on the death of innocent civilians
who is the U.S. to lecture anybody on this subject___________?
the U.S. killed hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians in Vietnam and in Iraq and Afghanistan after 9/11
I was subject to the draft during the Vietnam war and avoided getting drafted due to a student deferment
I still feel guilty that I didn't have to serve - while my contemporaries served and many died or were maimed in that horrible war
the Vietnam war was a total waste - the U.S. caused its own soldiers to die for nothing - no gain at all - a disgrace
the U.S. does not have the right to lecture to anybody on this subject

the foolish sayings of a rich man pass for words of wisdom by the fools around him
December 5th, 2023 at 11:28:31 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I would expect Russia and China to be at war with each other before the US was involved with a war with them

I actually expect China and Russia to be at war within three years.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 5th, 2023 at 1:02:08 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: DRich
I would expect Russia and China to be at war with each other before the US was involved with a war with them

The best USA foreign policy in Asia is to keep China, Russia, India, and Pakistan all at each other's throats. Don't think this is not what we really try to do. When they are in such a state they have to build armies and shortchange their navies, which lets the USA keep control of the oceans.
The President is a fink.
December 5th, 2023 at 1:52:08 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: DRich

War is bad for both of them. Another coffee bet…. No war by end of 2026 between Russia and China? We on? I’ll bet real money if you want.
December 5th, 2023 at 2:07:39 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: SOOPOO
War is bad for both of them. Another coffee bet…. No war by end of 2026 between Russia and China? We on? I’ll bet real money if you want.

I will gladly bet a coffee even though I am not confident of the time frame. I just know that China is getting desperate and they would love to have that Southeast area of Russia where there is oil, gas, waterways, and good fishing. If the China economy was still strong I would have expected them to buy it from Russia.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 5th, 2023 at 4:01:21 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
In a rare punitive move against Israel, the State Department said Tuesday it will impose travel bans on extremist Jewish settlers implicated in a rash of recent attacks on Palestinians in the occupied West Bank.

Secretary of State Antony Blinken announced the step after warning Israel last week that President Joe Biden's administration would be taking action over the attacks. Blinken did not announce individual visa bans, but department spokesman Matthew Miller said the bans would be implemented starting Tuesday and would cover “dozens” of settlers and their families, with more to come if the settler violence continued. He wouldn’t give a number and refused to identify any of those targeted due to confidentiality reasons.

The decision comes at a sensitive moment in U.S.-Israeli relations. The Biden administration has firmly backed Israel since it was attacked by Hamas on Oct. 7, even as international criticism of Israel has mounted.

The Israeli Embassy in Washington declined to comment on the development.

In recent weeks, the administration has stepped up calls on Israel to do more to limit civilian casualties as the Israelis expand their offensive and target densely populated southern Gaza. The U.S. has refrained from outright criticism of that offensive. It has been increasingly outspoken, however, about settler violence in the West Bank and Israel’s failure to respond to U.S. calls to stop it.

“We have underscored to the Israeli government the need to do more to hold accountable extremist settlers who have committed violent attacks against Palestinians in the West Bank,” Blinken said in a statement. “As President Biden has repeatedly said, those attacks are unacceptable.”

The U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said Monday that since Oct. 7 at least eight Palestinians in the West Bank have been killed by settlers. The U.N. agency said it has recorded 314 attacks by settlers that have resulted in Palestinian casualties, damage to Palestinian-owned property or both. One-third of the attacks included threats with firearms, including shootings, and in nearly half of the attacks the settlers were accompanied or actively supported by Israeli forces.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?