Random Thought of the Day

October 16th, 2016 at 11:46:35 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
How come if we dislike someone on the basis of their skin colour, religion, sexual orientation or heritage. It is often against the law to openly express such dislike and considered a prejudiced thing to do.

However it is fine to hate someone for their political and personal beliefs, ridicule them and openly express such hatred?
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
October 16th, 2016 at 11:54:15 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: kenarman
However it is fine to hate someone for their political and personal beliefs, ridicule them and openly express such hatred?

Religion got a special exemption early on, but the other things are considered unchosen.

Nobody should have to put up with discrimination based on who they are born as.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 16th, 2016 at 11:56:20 AM permalink
rxwine
Anyway, I think you can still dislike everyone if you want to. The law says you can't openly not hire, or not provide housing though and similar things.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 16th, 2016 at 5:53:31 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: rxwine
Religion got a special exemption early on, but the other things are considered unchosen.

Nobody should have to put up with discrimination based on who they are born as.

But some religions have more seem to have more exemptions than others. The Christian religious right is expected to give up their beliefs in regards to abortion and sexuality but we don't ask other religions to give up any of their beliefs.

The "born this way" argument which may be true for many/most of the LGBT community but their are many self proclaimed bisexuals that don't really care who they have sex with.

What about a hillbilly that was raised in relative isolation is he not discriminated against because of who he was born as. He is probably more a different nationality than many of the closely related countries that exist in Europe.

I don't have a an answer or do I have a lot of preconceived ideas about the question I have raised. I do think that for many of all political and religious stripes that they feel the answer is self evident and those who disagree with them are wrong.

The poor white feel they are disenfranchised and that Trump is a solution. The poor blacks feel disenfranchised and that Hillary is the solution.

Whatever the solution is it will only be found when we collectively get back to honouring others opinions and being able to have an honest discussion. It seems that skill is no longer valued or used. As the title of James Hoggan's book says "I'm right and your an idiot" is the current norm.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
October 17th, 2016 at 4:08:45 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Random observation of mine that may be subject to sampling error:

I don't seem to see too many black dudes with long hair these days* - from what I can tell, though, of those that exist, nearly all of them may be running backs in the NFL.

*this is where the sampling error might be. Is it the case that if you are around a lot of young Af/Am males these days, you see a lot of long hair?
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
October 17th, 2016 at 9:52:07 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: odiousgambit
Random observation of mine that may be subject to sampling error:

I don't seem to see too many black dudes with long hair these days* - from what I can tell, though, of those that exist, nearly all of them may be running backs in the NFL.

*this is where the sampling error might be. Is it the case that if you are around a lot of young Af/Am males these days, you see a lot of long hair?

I don't see a lot of dudes with long hair, period. The popular styles are high and tight, or shaved to hide the balding.... unless you're in a hipster neighborhood.

Long hair is a pain to maintain.
October 17th, 2016 at 11:36:09 AM permalink
rxwine
We have come a little ways since the 60's. Long hair on men has been more of a no issue. Some people had some pretty rude commentary if you wore your hair long. I was kind of surprised when shaving the head became so popular among young men. You didn't see that much either.

The Beatles upset the status quo in the US with their mop tops.
October 17th, 2016 at 4:31:16 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Does anyone else go ballistic when the company's tech support tells you "it's fixed," and they left everything as it was exactly?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 17th, 2016 at 5:00:30 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Nareed
Does anyone else go ballistic when the company's tech support tells you "it's fixed," and they left everything as it was exactly?

I think that is a technique used in high profile political prisoner camps where they want to break down the prisoner's mental state. They act like really bad customer service. It's very effective at driving people crazy.

; )
October 18th, 2016 at 6:56:23 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Someone tell Senator McCain of Arizona to put down the Kool-Aid, even if he thinks he made it himself.

Or maybe tell him to drink it. I don't know.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER