Random Thought of the Day

August 16th, 2017 at 1:44:48 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Long hours, tired workers, inadequate time off for any sort of social life, dark stores, merchandise locked away with only what a customer asks for shown. Monotonous jobs and dangerous conditions in factories. Intrusiveness into employee's lifestyle. Outright distrust of the employee (no personal timepieces allowed, just the factory clock, no taking company ink home in your fountain pen, etc. Even the man who brought loom technology to America had to go first to France ostensibly for a trip and immediately departed for America, since he would have been arrested had he tried to go directly to America with company secrets of how the looms worked.

Who knows. Then employees were expendable, now they are totally unnecessary.
August 18th, 2017 at 1:26:54 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Coup is not a dirty word.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 22nd, 2017 at 10:12:06 AM permalink
Nareed
Battery Breakthrough, or Too Good to Be True?

https://www.wired.com/story/bill-joy-finds-the-jesus-battery/

Essentially by using a solid electrolyte, in the form of a polymer, you can make cheaper batteries.

But this article and interview doesn't say much about charge cycles, capacity or time. Mostly it talks about cost and safety.

Here's a link to the company's website: http://ionicmaterials.com/

We'll see. Li-ion batteries took time to replace Ni-Cd and Ni-MH batteries.

At least everyone is waiting for a major battery breakthrough. Even if it's just cost, it would improve the current situation a lot as regards solar/wind power plants and electric vehicles.
August 22nd, 2017 at 1:49:36 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: kenarman
]When I was in high school all the girls I wanted to go out with had that hair style.

All the hot girls had hair like that in
the late 60's. Lots of rollers in their
hair all night long, they slept on
them. Are there hairstyles now, I
couldn't even tell if there were.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 22nd, 2017 at 7:44:35 PM permalink
Fleastiff
I think it was called bouffant. I recall one hairstyle that made women look as if they had hydrocephalous.

Now? I think women wear non-demanding styles. No time to futz around for an hour each night. No time for high maintanence lifestyles when the goal is to get your next job
August 23rd, 2017 at 9:47:45 AM permalink
Nareed
The Voyager probes are still operational, 40 years into their mission, and still reporting back data.

In order to save power, some instruments have been shut down. Among these the cameras, as "there is nothing to see."

This makes sense. They're in interstellar space now (though just barely), and even the Sun appears as merely a bright star.

But what if there is something to see and we're missing it?
August 23rd, 2017 at 11:43:19 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Its the exact same thing as puting ten dollars on the Pass Line. You payz your money and youz take your chance. Power down somethings and hope to extend life for the entire device as it progresses on and on and perhaps encounters the clockmaker or whatever you think it might encounter.
August 23rd, 2017 at 11:43:20 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Its like any police surveillance camera film... hours and hours of zilch of any interest followed by thirty seconds of vague figures firing off guns.
August 23rd, 2017 at 4:05:37 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I just got thrown out of traffic court. For what, you ask? Must've been a scene. Showed up clothed only in a Gadsden flag? Arrested and trespassed for contempt? Cobbled together an insurgence of irate motorists and currently blockaded within our captured town hall?

Nope.

I wore shorts.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
August 23rd, 2017 at 4:16:38 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Face
I just got thrown out of traffic court. For what, you ask? Must've been a scene. Showed up clothed only in a Gadsden flag? Arrested and trespassed for contempt? Cobbled together an insurgence of irate motorists and currently blockaded within our captured town hall?

Nope.

I wore shorts.

I would never wear shorts to court, and I live in FL where I wear shorts 98% of the time. (wear long pants to play poker. Chilly poker rooms)
You are being judged by a human
Sure they are supposed to be impartial
but
Its still a human judging you with all their flaws
I wear at the minimum business casual with long pants and might consider a suit and tie. I go in with an attitude of respect for the system and the judge.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"