Random Thought of the Day

August 1st, 2017 at 8:13:05 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I'm wasting too much time on Facebook these days.

What would be better? 1) See posts from people/pages I know have something of interest to say, 2) Clean break, 3) Only browse it with the morning coffee, when I've nothing better to do anyway.

I've tried reducing the feed, and that doesn't work. You get more posts from whoever's left, and more "suggested" posts.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 1st, 2017 at 9:15:08 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
clean break
August 2nd, 2017 at 6:39:13 AM permalink
Nareed
The latest episode of Freakonomics Radio, which aired the last week of July, dealt with investment funds. The point was that managed funds, which try to outperform the market index, often yield less and charge very high fees. Whereas index funds have better yields and low fees.

The show often uses interviews of prominent people in academia and business. This time one of the people interviewed (and this interview took place months ago), was Anthony Scaramucci.

Isn't that special?

He didn't make much of a point, but partly it was because he repeated stuff covered earlier in the ep (such as the percentage of money invested in index funds). But he sounded like a perfectly reasonable business executive. Not the kind of person you'd think would leak profanity-laced ravings to the press.

It makes you think. other people interviewed in this and other shows also sound like reasonable people. Now I'll wonder what they're really like.

On the other hand, it also made me ask: did Scaramucci unload that way to the press because he was trying to fit in with the Golden Boy team? Overall his staff and cabinet tend to try to make Trump seem reasonable (which is hilarious in its own right). But a few try to out-Trump Golden Boy, as do more of his supporters (ample evidence exists in this very board).
August 2nd, 2017 at 9:39:36 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Nareed
....it also made me ask: did Scaramucci unload that way to the press because...
I'm not saying nothin, but if I was saying somethin, I would say he,"was hopped up on something". That was classic behavior for a coke monkey, or maybe a twofer. A mix of H and coke? But I'm not saying he, Scaramucci would do anything like that. Well connected, well dressed and manicured, nah. Addiction only affects people who live under bridges.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 3rd, 2017 at 7:20:45 AM permalink
Nareed
Years ago I wondered whether cell phones would end landlines. Today I'm wondering why they haven't.

I'm also wondering if there'd be any market for an app that routes incoming calls to your cell to a nearby landline. Say you're at the office, I call your cell number, and your office landline rings. Likewise if you're at home. if you're not near one of your landlines, then the cell rings.

Why? Because all too many people keep trying to find other people via landline, and that doesn't work a great deal of the time. Depending on how much you move about for work (travel, meetings, etc.), people may never find you. I don't understand why the cell number isn't the first option. after all, most people carry their cell at almost all times, and most people won't answer someone else's cell phone.
August 3rd, 2017 at 10:03:54 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: Nareed
Years ago I wondered whether cell phones would end landlines. Today I'm wondering why they haven't.

I'm also wondering if there'd be any market for an app that routes incoming calls to your cell to a nearby landline. Say you're at the office, I call your cell number, and your office landline rings. Likewise if you're at home. if you're not near one of your landlines, then the cell rings.

Why? Because all too many people keep trying to find other people via landline, and that doesn't work a great deal of the time. Depending on how much you move about for work (travel, meetings, etc.), people may never find you. I don't understand why the cell number isn't the first option. after all, most people carry their cell at almost all times, and most people won't answer someone else's cell phone.

Google voice does that. You get a google voice number, and when people call that GV will do a hunt through your connected numbers to find you.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
August 3rd, 2017 at 1:19:18 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Dalex64
Google voice does that. You get a google voice number, and when people call that GV will do a hunt through your connected numbers to find you.

I've heard of Google Voice, but have never run across it.

And the downside of Google, too, is that you never know when they'll discontinue a service.

Still, it would be wroth looking into. Thanks.
August 3rd, 2017 at 1:33:11 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I think it only works in the US and Canada.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
August 3rd, 2017 at 1:56:34 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Dalex64
I think it only works in the US and Canada.

If I had a dime for every time I've read "US and Canada only," I think I could buy enough land to set up an independent country ;)
August 3rd, 2017 at 2:47:20 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Libman Wonder Mop $9.99

Not to be confused with other Libman mops. Best mop design I've ever used. Thought I would end up replacing old mop with spin mop, but this is simple and better as far as I'm concerned. Brilliantly simple and effective wringer. Just don't try to wring it if it isn't wet first.

4 minute soak in hot water in bucket, and ready to go.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?