Random Thought of the Day

August 5th, 2019 at 2:23:14 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: kenarman
I don't believe that July set a record in the US as a whole. The west was cooler than normal. I can't find anything that says it was a record in the US. Glad to see anything you can find.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/July-2019-The-Hottest-Month-Ever-Recorded-on-Earth-Global-Warming-521110261.html%3famp=y
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
August 5th, 2019 at 2:50:53 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: beachbumbabs
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/July-2019-The-Hottest-Month-Ever-Recorded-on-Earth-Global-Warming-521110261.html%3famp=y

around 0.04 degrees Celsius (0.0072 degrees Fahrenheit) warmer ...

Oh my dear GOD! 72/1000th's of a degree
warmer. You have got to be kidding me.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 5th, 2019 at 3:02:53 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: beachbumbabs

That link does not say July was the warmest month in the US. It does say it was the warmest month in the world. That does not mean that every place in the world had the a record hot July. As per my OP the west coast of North America was cold and wet. All the California reservoirs are still well above normal for this time of year. A few short years ago when they were in a the middle of a water shortage this was hailed as proof of global warming.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
August 5th, 2019 at 3:26:58 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
That link does not say July was the warmest month in the US. It does say it was the warmest month in the world.

but to me, hottest July in USA would be meaningless because maybe offset by someplace else in the world
while
Warmest July ever on the planet is very telling
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 5th, 2019 at 3:28:42 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
That link does not say July was the warmest month in the US. It does say it was the warmest month in the world. That does not mean that every place in the world had the a record hot July. As per my OP the west coast of North America was cold and wet. .

On the 4th of July, major ski resorts
in CO and CA were still open. Hikers
are still seeing almost impassable
snow in parts of the Rockies and
the Sierra Nevada.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 6th, 2019 at 3:02:29 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Something that has been bugging me for a while is how basic conventions in math notation are being ignored. And I mean really, really basic, not talking about advanced math.

I'm seeing more and more gambling writers making the mistake [in my view] of noting odds of, say, 6 to 5 as 6/5 or 6-5 instead of the established convention of 6:5. The notation 6/5 should mean 6 divided by 5 , and 6-5 should mean 6 minus 5... ONLY, wow does that bother me! The confusion can be intense since x/y is needed notation convention for, say, the chances of rolling an 8 before a 7 in Craps, which is 5/11 ... paying fair odds of 6:5 ... both shown in correct notation!

Another one that really gets me is in currency charts to ignore what x/y should mean, which is x 'per' y. Currently on CNBC they keep showing a chart that is labeled Dollars/Yuan, due to the recent increase of 6 and a fraction to over 7. So over 7 dollars per yuan now, right? Wrong! Of course that would make no sense, the Chinese are devaluing their currency, and it's the number of yuans you can get for a dollar that keeps increasing. The chart is labeled wrong, the chart should be labeled yuan/dollars. See link if you have any doubts.

Man, that bothers me.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=convert+dollars+to+chinese+yuan
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
August 6th, 2019 at 5:52:35 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
6:5 is harder on my fingers than 6/5.
August 6th, 2019 at 7:06:41 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Fleastiff
6:5 is harder on my fingers than 6/5.
It's been YOU who have led the flock astray!!
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
August 15th, 2019 at 5:10:18 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
Although "Shark Tank" star Kevin O'Leary says he doesn't like to "peg a number" to certain financial milestones, he does believe there is a point in one's life where they should have at least six figures saved.

"By the time you hit 33 years old, you should have $100,000 saved somewhere. Make that your goal. Thirty-three [and] $100,000," O'Leary tells CNBC Make It.

Sounds about right.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 15th, 2019 at 5:43:11 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Who thinks our medical system needs to be reformed?

I had a back surgery yesterday and spent one night in the hospital, a total of 30 hours. I am home now with an estimated hospital bill of $262,814. I don;t even know if that includes the individual doctor fees.

Hopefully my insurance will cover most of that.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.