Random Thought of the Day

November 12th, 2020 at 1:50:51 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: rxwine
Pretty major achievement I think, unless it's really costly, then it's less likely to be used.
Seems like a real game changer. One of the testing machines is about the size of a cell phone. Almost like the analizer that Dr. McCoy had on Star Trek.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 12th, 2020 at 2:31:58 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Pretty major achievement I think, unless it's really costly, then it's less likely to be used.

THESE MULTI-OMICS TESTS ARE NOT ALL THAT EXPESIVE AND OFTEN SAV A GREAT DEAL OF WASTEFUL EFFORTS, BUT TRY GETTING APPROVAL.
November 12th, 2020 at 4:34:48 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: petroglyph
https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/11/419011/rapid-test-can-id-unknown-causes-infections-throughout-body

A hand held gene sequencer. Star Trek and Dr. McCoy are almost here if this checks out.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
November 12th, 2020 at 4:47:47 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: kenarman
A hand held gene sequencer. Star Trek and Dr. McCoy are almost here if this checks out.

We have the cave man version of most star trek devices. That's the tricorder. The replicator is 3d printing. The holodeck is VR. I guess the taser could be the phaser, though no telling if the military has made some advance devices under wraps.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 16th, 2020 at 3:01:34 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I swear you never know. About 5 years ago a guy I respect told me I was wrong about where the big dipper was, but he was the one who was wrong, I just realized. I was really embarrassed about my 'mistake'.

He has my respect for two reasons, one being I lack confidence about what I know about the night sky, admittedly not much, whereas he is an amateur astronomer with a nice telescope he takes out on a set of tracks into his yard. He once showed me Saturn on it, first time I ever saw the rings for myself.

Anyway, I was just outside looking at the night sky, good night for it, and came back in and googled it. The big dipper is exactly where I thought it was. I still respect this guy, can't imagine how he got this all wrong back then.

I keep talking about this: everything was like this when I was coming up. You just sized up people and decided whether what they were saying was on the money or not, based on your respect. Being misled was part of your life, it was too hard to constantly check up on these things then. Even now ... this sort of thing might happen.

i.pinimg.com
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
November 17th, 2020 at 11:50:05 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Yosemite Park Ranger on why it's hard to design a bear-proof garbage can

"There is a considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists.".
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
November 17th, 2020 at 7:27:07 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: JimRockford
Yosemite Park Ranger on why it's hard to design a bear-proof garbage can

"There is a considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists.".

That is hilarious.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
November 20th, 2020 at 4:45:56 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
PSA

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 21st, 2020 at 8:09:43 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
PSA

I like it. I just Googled it and found one like it that coughs when you put a cigarette in it.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
November 28th, 2020 at 5:04:23 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
yep

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]