Random Thought of the Day

May 11th, 2021 at 6:45:11 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: kenarman
Colour, race, sexual orientation, gender, religious affiliation. You believe that a business owner has the right to exclude anyone they want. Hmmm

It's really quite simple. You can exclude anyone for any reason, as long as it is not due to a legally protected class (race, national orgin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, vetetan status, disability, and geneticts).

But, when it comes to behavior, this is pretty simple, if somebody acts in a way that you do not like you can ban them.

For example, you cannot ban Trump for being disabled (bone spurs), but you can ban him for his behavior. This is not complicated. Nobody has a right to be on any social media platform, so as long as the ban is not based on a legally protected class it is fine.

I have massive issues with Facebook's buisness practices, so you know what I did, deleted my account. I never demanded that they change their policies. The idea that Facebook is some necessary utility is laughable..... And, I have never been on any other social media platform so I don't know how they compare (and don't really care to).... If Trump wants he can start his own social media platform and then he can ban whoever he wants (and nobody will care, mostly because nobody will use it)....
May 11th, 2021 at 7:19:34 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Gandler
It's really quite simple. You can exclude anyone for any reason, as long as it is not due to a legally protected class (race, national orgin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, vetetan status, disability, and geneticts).

But, when it comes to behavior, this is pretty simple, if somebody acts in a way that you do not like you can ban them.

For example, you cannot ban Trump for being disabled (bone spurs), but you can ban him for his behavior. This is not complicated. Nobody has a right to be on any social media platform, so as long as the ban is not based on a legally protected class it is fine.

I have massive issues with Facebook's buisness practices, so you know what I did, deleted my account. I never demanded that they change their policies. The idea that Facebook is some necessary utility is laughable..... And, I have never been on any other social media platform so I don't know how they compare (and don't really care to).... If Trump wants he can start his own social media platform and then he can ban whoever he wants (and nobody will care, mostly because nobody will use it)....

So your position is that a business can exclude anyone for any reason, as long as the government allows it or demands it? Sounds like the same type of freedom the population had in Germany when the Nazis were in power or the Chinese have now.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
May 11th, 2021 at 8:18:04 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
So your position is that a business can exclude anyone for any reason, as long as the government allows it or demands it? Sounds like the same type of freedom the population had in Germany when the Nazis were in power or the Chinese have now.

?????????
Regarding the freedom of FB to ban Trump
It has nothing to do with the govt
What the govt allows or demands has nothing to do with the FB decision to ban Trump
Anything allowed or demanded by the govt has to pass a constitutionally test which separates us from China or the Nazis
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 11th, 2021 at 9:46:15 AM permalink
Gandler

Should I be allowed entry into the upscale lounges in ripped up jeans and a stained T-shirt, or should they be allowed to block me entry until I change?

It's the exact same concept. I really don't understand why suddenly so many conservatives want governments to take over private industry..... Anyone who says social media is a utility is just wrong, it's an entertainment site that is not key to anyone.....
May 11th, 2021 at 11:28:12 AM permalink
kenarman
Should I be allowed entry into the upscale lounges in ripped up jeans and a stained T-shirt, or should they be allowed to block me entry until I change?

It's the exact same concept. I really don't understand why suddenly so many conservatives want governments to take over private industry..... Anyone who says social media is a utility is just wrong, it's an entertainment site that is not key to anyone.....

You obviously haven't been an upscale lounge lately. You would probably get kicked out if your jeans weren't ripped. They would of course have to be factory rips.
May 11th, 2021 at 11:43:09 AM permalink
Gandler
You obviously haven't been an upscale lounge lately. You would probably get kicked out if your jeans weren't ripped. They would of course have to be factory rips.

So by your above defintion a club that bans jeans is Fascist?
May 11th, 2021 at 12:05:11 PM permalink
kenarman
So by your above defintion a club that bans jeans is Fascist?

The setting of rules just gets confused anytime the government gets involved because goal posts are continually moving. A business is forced to continually change by the government. Not many years ago a bar would get in trouble if they allowed a male into a women's washroom, now if the male declares he thinks he's a women they will get in trouble if he is not allowed in. An business owner has few rights, now the government is continually creating new rules for him to follow and providing new "rights" for everyone but the business owner.
May 11th, 2021 at 12:14:51 PM permalink
Gandler
The setting of rules just gets confused anytime the government gets involved because goal posts are continually moving. A business is forced to continually change by the government. Not many years ago a bar would get in trouble if they allowed a male into a women's washroom, now if the male declares he thinks he's a women they will get in trouble if he is not allowed in. An business owner has few rights, now the government is continually creating new rules for him to follow and providing new "rights" for everyone but the business owner.

I am not following your train of thought.

Your above argument is that social media and buinsness that service the public should be treated as a utility (at least that is a fair paraphrasing based off your electric company parallels, and I am pretty sure in past threads you have flat out said they should be considered utilities).

But, now you are saying that the government should allow businesses to ban whoever they want (which I agree with, with the exception of discrimination). But, you can't have it both ways, when somebody incites violence and gets banned, you can't say that the government should force them to be allowed on or in.

Free speech does not apply in private buisneses, again same reason some places will kick you out for using vulgar words (like this site for example, even if enforced very inconsistently, but that is their right to enforce or not enforce whatever rules....)
May 11th, 2021 at 12:41:47 PM permalink
kenarman
I am not following your train of thought.

Your above argument is that social media and buinsness that service the public should be treated as a utility (at least that is a fair paraphrasing based off your electric company parallels, and I am pretty sure in past threads you have flat out said they should be considered utilities).

But, now you are saying that the government should allow businesses to ban whoever they want (which I agree with, with the exception of discrimination). But, you can't have it both ways, when somebody incites violence and gets banned, you can't say that the government should force them to be allowed on or in.

Free speech does not apply in private buisneses, again same reason some places will kick you out for using vulgar words (like this site for example, even if enforced very inconsistently, but that is their right to enforce or not enforce whatever rules....)

You forget why there is any censorship of FB at all. The government called Zukerberg and other social media giants in front of their committee and basically said censor your sites or we will take action. Zukerberg testified he didn't want to be a censor but was forced into it.
May 11th, 2021 at 1:43:12 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23

Both sides want the Government to have absolute control of everything, just in different ways and to accomplish different goals.

The Republicans of old would do well just to drop social issues from their list of concerns (they've already lost that fight---and rightly so) and just become Libertarians.

It won't happen, but a drastic shift to Libertarianism would be the last chance we have as a country of getting the Federal Government somewhat in check.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman