Random Thought of the Day

May 26th, 2021 at 8:11:17 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Mission146
I'm not really a fan. My son likes it and wanted to watch it. I think F1 is pretty cool and would watch it again, but I probably wouldn't go too far out of my way to do it. Much better than cars driving in circles making all lefts.

I always say that I should just go to the laundromat and use one of the dryers with a transparent front, cheer for the blue shirt, as watch Nascar.

I guess Formula One goes to Austin, damn are tickets expensive! Not to mention the costs of having to travel to Austin. Hmmm....maybe next year.

It looks like they are having a new race in Miami next year, so the travel costs should be pretty low for that. I guess the downside is having to go to Miami, but that's okay. I might try to take him to that one---it'll be quite an experience for him.

I am very happy that NASCAR is starting to change a little bit. They are now adding dirt tracks and more road courses. Its a small change but at least it is a start.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
May 26th, 2021 at 9:02:10 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: DRich
I am very happy that NASCAR is starting to change a little bit. They are now adding dirt tracks and more road courses. Its a small change but at least it is a start.

Put them all in the same exact car and lets see who the best driver is
I have no interest in the best team
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 26th, 2021 at 9:05:15 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: terapined

Only if they are all 1992 Ford Tempos.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 26th, 2021 at 9:47:23 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
My interest in NASCAR waned when they introduced "the car of tomorrow," which requires all teams use essentially the same racing car platform as opposed to cars they themselves designed and built.

I loved it when Ford raced actual Fords, Chevy raced Chevy's, etc.

I especially enjoyed going to the local stock car track where locals actually raced and passed each other frequently; if I wanted to watch a train I'd go to a frat house and watch the boys have their way with a drunken co-ed at 2:00 AM Saturday night.

"Win on Sunday, buy on Monday."
May 26th, 2021 at 11:19:09 AM permalink
DRich
Quote: Mission146
Only if they are all 1992 Ford Tempos.

I think we would all rather see them in AMC Pacer's.
May 26th, 2021 at 12:01:23 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: petroglyph
As a kid I went to the drags.

In the late sixties there was a commercial dragstrip about 20 miles from here. Everybody took their muscle cars and raced each other. The big block Ford Fairlanes and Galaxies and Mustangs won a lot. That stuff is huge fun when you're 19 and 20 and 21. Not so much after that.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 26th, 2021 at 3:10:19 PM permalink
DRich
Quote: terapined

They used to do that with the IROC series but it wasn't popular.
May 26th, 2021 at 3:35:23 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: DRich
I think we would all rather see them in AMC Pacer's.

I forget how the joke went about the Ford Pinto and the Audi 5000.

The Pinto had the risk of a fire from a ruptured gas tank in a rear collusion, and Audi had an issue with unintended acceleration.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 26th, 2021 at 5:02:55 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Say what you will about AMC cars, but my ex and I owned an AMC Concord station wagon that was rear-ended at high speed by a drunk and we basically walked away without injury.
May 27th, 2021 at 4:40:26 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
I do not remember the last day I didn’t go golfing! (If I tried I could figure it out). Played at nicest course in Buffalo yesterday. Friend had to work a few hours in the morning and wasn’t sure when the cases would be done. Called at 10:15, asked if I could play at 11:00. (He is a member; I’d be his guest). Arrived 10:55. On first tee at 11:00. Of course by 2:00. For those who do not golf a 3 hour round is spectacular. We only caught one foursome and they politely let us play through.

I am a tad jealous, but I like playing different courses more than the ‘luxury’ of having one course to belong to. Glen Oak this morning.....