Random Thought of the Day

July 12th, 2021 at 6:01:56 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Not sure where to post this….. can’t possibly merit a new thread…. But I’ve been wailing about the destruction of the ‘service industry’ for a while now. Went for lunch at Tully’s, low end sports bar/restaurant chain. Walk in a tad before noon, looks maybe 1/2 full, no one in front of us…. hostess says it will be 5 minutes for the 3 of us…. She’s on her walkie talkie type thing….. a group of 4 walks in, she gets on walkie talkie and immediately takes them to a table. There are no tables there that will seat 3 and not 4, or Vice-versa. She comes back from seating them, and seats us in another minute or so. Clearly not enough wait staff for the number of patrons, so slow to take our drink order, slow to return with the drinks. We order our meals, friend orders meat loaf, gravy on the side, French fries extra well done. I order my meal and a ‘to go’ meal for my wife. Summary…. Friend’s meatloaf is slathered in gravy. His fries look nearly raw and are also swimming in the gravy. As we are nearly finished I flag down a different waitress walking by and ask her to send our waitress over…. When she comes I ask for check and my to go meal. It’s a few minutes for her to come back with the check, then another few minutes to process the credit cards, and she says my to go meal will be ready ‘in a minute’. I go stand by the hostess area…. No meal…. After 10 minutes I ask to see the manager…. She says she will investigate…. She comes back and says the order was only put in 9 minutes ago so it will be a few more minutes. When I point out I put the order in nearly an hour ago, she starts apologizing up the wazoo. I suggested had the waitress just been honest and said she forgot to put the order in that would have made the situation less annoying. The ‘it’ll be ready in a minute’ when it is a 100% lie is what pissed me off. She gave me two gift cards, with no $ denomination on them. Guesses range from $5 to $25 each. We shall see!

The entire time I was waiting (15-20) minutes there was a lady next to me waiting to pick up a ‘Doordash’ order. I felt bad for her wasting that time probably for maybe $5-$10 total. Probably can’t hire enough cooks….
July 12th, 2021 at 8:12:00 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: SOOPOO
Not sure where to post this….. can’t possibly merit a new thread…. But I’ve been wailing about the destruction of the ‘service industry’ for a while now. Went for lunch at Tully’s, low end sports bar/restaurant chain. Walk in a tad before noon, looks maybe 1/2 full, no one in front of us…. hostess says it will be 5 minutes for the 3 of us…. She’s on her walkie talkie type thing….. a group of 4 walks in, she gets on walkie talkie and immediately takes them to a table. There are no tables there that will seat 3 and not 4, or Vice-versa. She comes back from seating them, and seats us in another minute or so. Clearly not enough wait staff for the number of patrons, so slow to take our drink order, slow to return with the drinks. We order our meals, friend orders meat loaf, gravy on the side, French fries extra well done. I order my meal and a ‘to go’ meal for my wife. Summary…. Friend’s meatloaf is slathered in gravy. His fries look nearly raw and are also swimming in the gravy. As we are nearly finished I flag down a different waitress walking by and ask her to send our waitress over…. When she comes I ask for check and my to go meal. It’s a few minutes for her to come back with the check, then another few minutes to process the credit cards, and she says my to go meal will be ready ‘in a minute’. I go stand by the hostess area…. No meal…. After 10 minutes I ask to see the manager…. She says she will investigate…. She comes back and says the order was only put in 9 minutes ago so it will be a few more minutes. When I point out I put the order in nearly an hour ago, she starts apologizing up the wazoo. I suggested had the waitress just been honest and said she forgot to put the order in that would have made the situation less annoying. The ‘it’ll be ready in a minute’ when it is a 100% lie is what pissed me off. She gave me two gift cards, with no $ denomination on them. Guesses range from $5 to $25 each. We shall see!

The entire time I was waiting (15-20) minutes there was a lady next to me waiting to pick up a ‘Doordash’ order. I felt bad for her wasting that time probably for maybe $5-$10 total. Probably can’t hire enough cooks….

Service sucks these days
I'm hesitant to eat at a place with a help wanted sign
but
Everybody has a help wanted sign
I always tip for takeout when I never used to just to help out the staff in these trying times
I called a restaurant to order a pizza
I got there and waited a long time
I could tell they never started the order till I got there
Poor service everywhere due to lack of help
Time to open the borders. We need workers
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 16th, 2021 at 12:59:37 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Car & Driver.

“New car smell” is a product of design teams. But Chinese prefer no smell at all as it only reminds them of pollution. Special attention is given to high end models so they smell luxurious.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 18th, 2021 at 12:57:37 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I had to check this out to see if we'd get another use in print of "her penis"

Nope. So I spared you.

https://thepostmillennial.com/ontario-woman-charged-after-allegedly-sexually-assaulting-young-boy-in-park?utm_campaign=64470
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 20th, 2021 at 6:14:11 AM permalink
rxwine
Fencing is the hardest sport to enjoy. It’s over as quickly as it starts.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 20th, 2021 at 8:11:23 AM permalink
rxwine
A trick of psychics, is to have a row of 10 people in a audience stand up. Then point at the row and say something like, “I sense that someone has lost a brother or sister very recently.”

Just pointing in a general direction, can look like he is pointing right at you. And someone can interpret recently as anywhere from yesterday to a couple weeks or even a couple months.

So, odds are good someone in the row will identify themselves as the person he is sensing. But even if no one does, he can change the claim slightly, “maybe the person in the next row or behind, I know it’s in the general area.” Now he has at least 30 people.

If no one responds, he has an “out” prepared. “I understand. (Pause) The loss is still too personal and troubling to share.”

But if he get’s his mark on the first shot….”He pointed straight at me and knew Bobby died a week ago.”

And by the way, “Bobby wants you to know. Do not be troubled, as he is at peace in the afterlife.”
July 20th, 2021 at 8:28:08 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: odiousgambit
I had to check this out to see if we'd get another use in print of "her penis"

Nope. So I spared you.

https://thepostmillennial.com/ontario-woman-charged-after-allegedly-sexually-assaulting-young-boy-in-park?utm_campaign=64470

Not specific to this case…. But I’ve always heard that child molesters aren’t treated well by other prisoners in the general population. Doesn’t it make sense for your run of the mill male prisoner to claim to be female so he/she is placed in a female prison? I’m sure that there would be a cadre of the female inmates that might take a shine to the new ‘woman’ inmate? Plus probably less likely you are beat to a pulp?
July 20th, 2021 at 10:45:05 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
xxxxxxxxx
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 20th, 2021 at 11:37:09 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: Evenbob
I hate restaurants and only go there if I'm forced to because it's somebody's birthday or Play Down Chicken Charlie Brown you poor kids calling me four digits of your card number answer your four-digit your balance is $3,064.85 I can't believe Linda went with you knowing she was sick are you going to need a Foreign Tour Emily B how much video can I watch with 5gb of data cash 39 browse the internet for around 60 hours to stream 1000 songs are to watch 10 hours of standard definition video we are away from home.

Log it: the moment EB's Alzheimer's disease raised its ugly head.

Memo to EB: your future is filled with oatmeal and bibs.
July 21st, 2021 at 3:53:08 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Evenbob
No matter how much money I had I would still eat at home, I would just use more expensive ingredients. I hate restaurants and only go there if I'm forced to because it's somebody's birthday or Play Down Chicken Charlie Brown you poor kids calling me four digits of your card number answer your four-digit your balance is $3,064.85 I can't believe Linda went with you knowing she was sick are you going to need a Foreign Tour Emily B how much video can I watch with 5gb of data cash 39 browse the internet for around 60 hours to stream 1000 songs are to watch 10 hours of standard definition video we are away from home. The whole concept of restaurants is bizarre to me. You pay through the nose for subpar overcooked or undercooked food prepared by somebody you don't know and then you sit in a large room with a bunch of strangers and you eat it in front of each other. Why on earth what I want to do this when I can make something 10 times better at home. People do it because they are lazy. Most men don't know how to cook and most women hate cooking so they will sit there and eat overpriced subpar food with a bunch of other lazy strangers. The only exception I make is food at a Chinese buffet. I like Chinese food and it is a pain in the ass to cook at home. And you can't really screw it up so it's usually good. Never been with a woman who didn't love love love eating out because it means they don't have to do anything.

Will it be canned smoked mackerel or canned herring tonight, chef? That sunflower oil sure does make it extra slimy, doesn't it?

Be honest, is it because you can basically swallow canned fish without chewing?

Subpar cooked food? I've seen the plates that you have posted. "Master Windu, strong the Dunning-Kruger is in this one's posts."

I wouldn't have posted those plates if it had been one of my kids who prepared the meal out of fear of embarrassing them, and yet, it seems that the intent of the posts was to somehow.....sound like they were bragging? Why would you brag about something that I could have done better being awoken from a dead sleep and asked to cook a dinner without even turning the lights on in the kitchen?

Anyway, just because I'm a man who knows how to cook and my fiancee is a woman who knows how to cook doesn't mean we're in the mood to cook 100% of the time. Also, our Dunning-Kruger game isn't so strong when it comes to cooking, so we often like to go to restaurants that specialize in certain dishes that we know that we don't do very well. My fajitas, for instance, seem to be edible and are inoffensive...but if I really want fajitas, then I'm going to a Mexican restaurant.

Chinese food is a, "Pain in the ass to cook at home?" As if you could even if you had everything one would need. From what I have seen in your posts, there's nothing or almost nothing that you CAN cook well, so that you would denigrate people who cook for a living is beyond me. You could feed me anything pictured in any of the food posts of yours that I have seen and I'd spit it on the floor.

Sorry, even some of us lazy restaurant goers still have more than zero in the way of standards.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman