Random Thought of the Day

July 2nd, 2021 at 7:48:13 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: rxwine
That’s not the complaint though. They’re not notifying you that the server’s tip is also paying for a process fee, instead of the restaurant menu charge.

They are paying what they actually receive from the customer for the tip portion. If you want the want the restaurant to pass on $10.00 to the staff then make the tip $10.30 or pay $10.00 cash for the tip.

The practice that you should be upset about is the restaurants that rake 10 and 20% of all tips from the staff. In this instance the restaurant is passing on to the staff what they actually receive.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
July 2nd, 2021 at 8:23:07 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Well, I figure McDonalds or Burger King pay all the charges. But if you tipped there, they'd not only pay less than what they already do, but charge for credit card use to the server as well.

Also the reason for the customer to know what the breakdown is, so I know at which place they give this charge to servers and when they don't since it's not a universal practice. Else I think I'm giving the same tip to a server at each place when I'm not.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 3rd, 2021 at 9:03:02 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I guess you figure we can google these things.

My wife has always urged me to tip with cash, but she only indicated they get it faster and, potentially, not report it , tho the company will try to keep the latter from happening.

So the fee deducrtion is another reason to tip with cash.

I'm not too wound up about it. There are 2 other practices I hate more.

-sharing the tip. This sounds good at first blush, but really it just helps the company make payroll and hurts the wait staff [having the tip get shared too widely for sure sucks, management should not get a part]

-the automatic tip that gets added, often for 20% of everything including tax. The IRS has said the practice of handling such like tips needs to stop*, and maybe it has, but I see it done this way a lot and I have my doubts. For sure they call it a gratuity on the slip you sign, and for example the wait staff seems to regard it as tipping, thanking you sincerely!

Finally, is this article right? They make it sound like the restaurant takes the entire fee out of the tip, whereas it's likely that the fee is deducted from all of it generally. You can see why the wait staff is not excluded when you think about it.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/columnist/2021/07/02/how-tip-servers-cash-credit-card-fees/7800146002/

* The Internal Revenue Service reminds employers that so-called “automatic gratuities” and any amount imposed on the customer by the employer are service charges, not tips. Service charges are generally wages, and they are reported to the employee and the IRS in a manner similar to other wages. [from googling same]
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 3rd, 2021 at 9:16:47 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
The price of Jet fuel has doubled in the last year here in Las Vegas.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 5th, 2021 at 4:14:38 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Bumper sticker seen on a septic truck
Yesterday's meals on wheels
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 6th, 2021 at 6:48:24 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Julian Assange was born the day Jim Morrison died, July 3 1971.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 7th, 2021 at 5:07:21 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Went to local ‘Lloyd’s Tacos’ on Monday. Sit down restaurant that you order, then they will deliver the food to your table. No line. Restaurant appears around 2/3 full. We order 1 burrito. 1 taco. 2 soft drinks. The kid tells us ‘just to warn you, it will be around 45 minutes’!!!!! He said something about ‘new menu today’ but I stopped listening and left. My wife opined that they couldn’t figure out how to squeeze an order in that should take less than 90 seconds….

I am HATING the entire service industry!!!!
July 7th, 2021 at 5:29:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: SOOPOO

I avoid restaurants entirely, haven't been to one since my wife's birthday in 2019 and that was only because she insisted. Why should I pay for overpriced food that sucks. For dinner I had lettuce wraps made with paper thin sliced roast beef, red onion, paper thin sliced fresh mushrooms, provolone cheese, and a little homemade Russian dressing. Just something I threw together at the last minute and better than anything I can imagine getting in a restaurant.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 7th, 2021 at 5:38:49 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
You need to get out more if you think your concoction is better than anything available in any restaurant.

My, how you DO enjoy your hyperbole.
July 7th, 2021 at 5:44:24 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: SOOPOO
Went to local ‘Lloyd’s Tacos’ on Monday. Sit down restaurant that you order, then they will deliver the food to your table. No line. Restaurant appears around 2/3 full. We order 1 burrito. 1 taco. 2 soft drinks. The kid tells us ‘just to warn you, it will be around 45 minutes’!!!!! He said something about ‘new menu today’ but I stopped listening and left. My wife opined that they couldn’t figure out how to squeeze an order in that should take less than 90 seconds….

Never heard of it, but I see it has good ratings. Maybe that's pre-covid, before loss of regular staff perhaps.

I prefer my mexican food from Texas.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?