Random Thought of the Day

July 22nd, 2021 at 7:40:43 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Why did you bother to get married then in the first place?

What, you hadn't figured out life yet by time you were 18?
July 22nd, 2021 at 8:08:53 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: missedhervee
Yes, I do.

The weak link is the people, not the institution.

People get divorced too easily, and this wreaks havoc socially and financially.

Just power through the rough patches, get counselling, and try to make it stick.

Life isn't always easy, and kids will benefit when raised by their mother and father under the same roof.

Sad to see folks divorce and then shack up with someone they barely know: yeah, like that's really good for the kids.

As some comedian said on the gay marriage issue. "Let them get married and be miserable like everyone else."

To tell the truth, I'm no more interested in talking people out of conventional marriage either if that's what they want or into any other kind.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 22nd, 2021 at 8:15:15 PM permalink
rxwine
Actually, I'm not even sure what the definition of traditional marriage is. In some cultures parents pick your partner for you. Or rather force you into marrying a certain person. Is that traditional?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 22nd, 2021 at 8:18:44 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Yes, I do.

The weak link is the people, not the institution.

People get divorced too easily, and this wreaks havoc socially and financially.

Just power through the rough patches, get counselling, and try to make it stick.

Life isn't always easy, and kids will benefit when raised by their mother and father under the same roof.

Sad to see folks divorce and then shack up with someone they barely know: yeah, like that's really good for the kids.

Man, when you retire, you really retire.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
July 22nd, 2021 at 10:03:36 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Why did you bother to get married then in the first place?

So much hostility towards the growing trend of married people living separately and loving it. I'm sensing some major jealousy here. Just grin and bear it and get some professional help, you'll be fine.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 23rd, 2021 at 12:39:01 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
You mistake curiosity for hostility.

I've heard nothing of this alleged "growing trend of married people living separately and loving it," which is a bit surprising given my occupation over the years.

I think you sometimes invent or embellish things so as to be congruent with your warped world view, but then I've thought that about your posts for a long time.

Whatever, I'm sure she prefers it this way.
July 23rd, 2021 at 1:42:03 AM permalink
Evenbob
Y

I've heard nothing of this alleged "growing trend of married people living separately and loving it,

No doubt. Look it up, Google is your friend. My insurance agent told me 10 years ago it was popular, it has exploded since then.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 23rd, 2021 at 6:40:21 AM permalink
rxwine
If you concocted some tasty non-poisonous bait with metallic dust could you catch cockroaches or other pests with strategically placed neodymium magnets?
July 23rd, 2021 at 7:00:43 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
All I can say is that everyone has different experiences being married. I am happy for Bob that it is working for him. 95% of my marital experiences are positive and I wouldn't change it. Obviously that doesn't mean that I won't change my mind in the future.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 23rd, 2021 at 11:37:48 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: DRich
All I can say is that everyone has different experiences being married. I am happy for Bob that it is working for him. 95% of my marital experiences are positive and I wouldn't change it. Obviously that doesn't mean that I won't change my mind in the future.

It happened by accident for me. This house has been in my family for 60 years but it needed to be remodeled so it can be rented. So about 15 years ago I started spending two or three days here working on it. Sometimes I would spend the night because it's a regular house. Gradually I started spending more and more time here until I was spending most of my time here. I really liked it and my wife liked it so we just turned into a permanent thing. It's not like we were in our twenties, I was in my late fifties when this started. In the beginning it was kind of weird because people would say why don't you just get a divorce. And I would say we don't want to get a divorce we still really like each other we just don't want to live together anymore. And I'm finding out now this is a huge trend in the US and Europe and Australia. As many as 1 in 10 marriages live in separate residences. I am a trend starter and I didn't even know it.