rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Evenbob
It's a borefest, you aren't missing anything. I
suppose it would be a shock to those not
familiar with the Holocaust, though.

97% fresh
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/schindlers_list/
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 21st, 2015 at 6:15:49 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Pacomartin
I watch a few minutes of the little girl in the red dress, ...

One of the few scenes with color.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 21st, 2015 at 7:54:47 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine

It's about the Holocaust, those movies always
get high praises from the critics. I think I fell
asleep. They even lampooned it on Seinfeld.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 21st, 2015 at 10:40:06 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
I saw the Stephen Hawking bio pic, "The Theory of Everything".

I wish it was subtitled. I could not understand half the dialogue, and was glad when he finally got the computer voice. The story was interesting in that the difficulties being the young, dedicated wife of a man with ALS were explored in some depth. It became clear why this was the case, when the end credits rolled and it was revealed that the screenplay was based on a book by his first wife.
January 22nd, 2015 at 8:40:41 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Ayecarumba
I wish it was subtitled.

Hawking (2004)?

Anymore watching British TV on PBS, which often I admire greatly*, I put the subtitles on, which bothers my wife who can't understand it any better though. You just miss a lot otherwise, and my hearing is mostly OK.

*example, we watched a Poirot not so long ago and admired a scene that had a steam locomotive come into the station while they stood there. I said to my wife, "you could watch American TV for a 100 years not see a scene like that". Nobody brandishing and pointing a pistol police-academy style for half the program content, for one thing.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 22nd, 2015 at 9:07:37 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Watched just a small bit of "Red Tails" about the Tuskegee Airmen. I am interested in the WW2 airwar, but I couldn't watch much of this. Simply put, the combat scenes were done comic book style. The ability to simulate an air war in movies were touted as much advanced, which I guess I could tell. Way to screw it up, George Lucas. He and Spielberg - talented as they are - have a way of ruining stuff for me.

I am OK - mostly OK - with the mythologization of the Tuskegee Airmen. What would you expect? The modern narrative is constructed to serve a purpose, and I think anybody can point to some other examples where it has been done before. In fact, I have trouble watching movies made during WW2 as there is so much effort put into making our guys "loveable" - it no longer can be suffered.

That these airmen were shooting down the German jets in dogfights ... I already had my doubts about that, since anybody reading up on it otherwise finds out they were near impossible to shoot down except when taking off or especially landing, when many of them were indeed taken out. I won't say I don't think they got any, but...

Surely you aren't surprised there are detractors? http://www.sammcgowan.com/332nd.html
January 22nd, 2015 at 1:14:53 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I tried to watch Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
on Netflix. I made it to 45min, I don't
know how. The cliche of watching paint
dry being more interesting applies here.
Go to IMDB and read the bad reviews
section, many others agreed this is one
of the worst movies ever made. Unless
you've read the book, what it's about
is a mystery. It's mostly middle aged
Brit men with no expression on their
faces glumly delivering lines. Gary Oldman
rarely speaks, he just stares off into the
distance.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 22nd, 2015 at 6:53:42 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Quote: odiousgambit
Watched just a small bit of "Red Tails" about the Tuskegee Airmen. I am interested in the WW2 airwar, but I couldn't watch much of this. Simply put, the combat scenes were done comic book style. The ability to simulate an air war in movies were touted as much advanced, which I guess I could tell. Way to screw it up, George Lucas. He and Spielberg - talented as they are - have a way of ruining stuff for me.

I am OK - mostly OK - with the mythologization of the Tuskegee Airmen. What would you expect? The modern narrative is constructed to serve a purpose, and I think anybody can point to some other examples where it has been done before. In fact, I have trouble watching movies made during WW2 as there is so much effort put into making our guys "loveable" - it no longer can be suffered.

That these airmen were shooting down the German jets in dogfights ... I already had my doubts about that, since anybody reading up on it otherwise finds out they were near impossible to shoot down except when taking off or especially landing, when many of them were indeed taken out. I won't say I don't think they got any, but...

Surely you aren't surprised there are detractors? http://www.sammcgowan.com/332nd.html

The best film for air combat is Battle of Britain, a bad movie with great aerial combat scenes; among the technical advisors were Adolph Galland and "Ginger" Lacey.
February 7th, 2015 at 2:54:32 AM permalink
odiousgambit
I saw the remake of the movie “Total Recall” the other day.

Science fiction is hardly my favorite genre, I generally can’t read the books at all; sometimes, though, I like the movies. The theme of implanted memories has managed to hold some interest for me. When seeing the original “Total Recall” it struck me that just maybe “way, way” into the future such things might be possible. Apparently this opinion was not shared by the producers of this first film version, as the movie went to total silliness before it was over; perhaps it was the director who trashed it.

Well, a book by the scientist Kaku has come out saying memory implanation is likely to become reality in the *near* future. Such predictions sometimes do not come to pass, and even if this does, perhaps there will be ethical concerns about using it. It’s possible today, for example, to create false memories using hypnotism, yet we don’t seem to hear about misuse any more.

In any case I had to wonder if the remake was inspired by the knowledge that this stuff is actually likely to be very possible.

Review:

The movie is a modern action/adventure type. The acting was OK, basically the actors didn’t have to do much of that. This action/adventure genre has minor appeal to me anymore, but for what it was supposed to be, succeeded to some degree. There are fantastic chases with good special effects aplenty. I had some problems with ‘suspension of disbelief’ with some of it but just settled in OK after a while. The scenes where enormous numbers of elevators and horizontal transporters interacted in a giant maze that allowed the main characters to escape by jumping from one to the other, up, down, horizontal, etc, just in the nick of time; fantastic and impossible as it all was, it was pretty cool too.

I dislike movies that go into excessive plot twists, and as I started watching I worried that this would happen (MINOR SPOILER THIS PARAGRAPH) . The main character goes in for memory implantation by a private firm, and it’s not clear if this was successfully aborted, or if the plot twist is going to be that 'it was all a dream'. Such plot twist is indeed threatened to evolve, at several spots. As it turns out, to my relief, not so, and the idea it might go that way was used well instead. I really reject any such ‘it was just a dream’ plot twists as unacceptable ‘deus ex machina’ bullshit that allows the writers to conveniently get out of the fixes they have written themselves into. It’s not as if it’s a new idea, and it really sucks now to use it.

Mars is mentioned, but is taken out of the movie. Earth is a dystopian landscape where war has left only Britain and Australia liveable. What? Idiotically, the center of the Earth is a more hospitable place to go than any other areas on the surface, so a tube is built to shuttle passengers between the two areas, right through the core somehow. This allows for zero gravity at the very middle, which gets into the action too. This part is done pretty well actually, not sure how they did it. But even if you accepted technology could do this, it’s crazy to think the two zones would be liveable but the other areas worse than the molten center of the Earth!

The female villain struck me as familiar but new. I actually wound up searching to see if she was considered a new type of ‘stock character’, see link below. I guess you could say ‘Battle-axe’ ,with Xena the warrior woman as example, fits. But the character now seems to be new and I’m thinking needs her own category. She is a martial-arts trained machine able to contend with and potentially defeat similarly trained men. I’ve seen exactly her only in these new movies and such, she did not exist before unless you want to count Xena and Wonder Woman; Battle-axe to describe her is not quite satisfactory for me. Often, like those two, she is portrayed as having large breasts, and I guess this new [to me] character did originate as ‘Battle-axe’ ... partly, I object because I just think the name doesnt fit. Am I right in thinking that the younger men are the ones who like this character - the breasts do it for them LOL? I dunno, the women in this movie are not all that well endowed. I’m also fairly sure that this stock character, whatever she should be called, is not really there for the female audience, whatever the film makers might think.

This whole 'stock character' business got interesting to me with the realization that the 'magical negro' as stock character was quite real.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stock_characters

Speaking of the two women, the movie does something that irritates the hell out of me: they look very much alike. See the image. This confuses things, and sure enough when the second woman comes on the viewer is bound to think it is the same character. This may be intentional but adds nothing. Boo.

Back during the American Civil War, it’s said the South thought their soldiers were going to be able to whip the Yankees at a 1:10 ratio; disabused of this notion by defeat, nonetheless some true believers in this concept are alive and well today, writing for action/adventure movies it seems. Our hero absolutely several times defeats such numbers, killing people and robotic cops at easily that ratio. On the other hand, the bad guys absolutely can empty magazines by the dozens and never hit a thing, our hero dodging an absolute hail of bullets. I don’t quite get why it has to be so unrealistic. Sure, the narrow escapes by amazing trapeze artist feats, I get why that’s included, but ....

Another thing I noticed was that Australia had become an Asian slum. The signs for the businesses were all Asian, and the poor people were all Asian, definitely an ethnic underclass. No Asian had a role as anything other. I wonder what that was all about.

I’m surprised myself that I had so much to write about.

Bottom line: the reason to see it is if you like escape into an action/adventure film. The movie *does* succeed in avoiding a lapse into complete silliness like the original. But the new plot changes do not improve the movie. And somehow they did not translate the whole memory implantation thing as well as the original movie, in the parts that it was good. The actors couldnt pull it off? Actually, I’m not sure why. I am fairly sure the remake wasn't inspired by new real developments in this that are in the news today.

BTW the short story that inspired the movies also has a quite different but also silly ending, which has me wondering if it’s just true that no one really believed memory implantation was possible a few years ago.
February 7th, 2015 at 6:45:36 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: odiousgambit
The movie *does* succeed in avoiding a lapse into complete silliness like the original. But the new plot changes do not improve the movie.

I thought the original was much better because it was played over the top. Playing it more realistic just exposes the plot's basic ridiculousness.

The writer, Phillip Dick, died young in 1982 just as the mining of his writings for movie story ideas had just begun.

Original story: "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale"= 15 pages

1982 Blade Runner (novel "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?")
1990 Total Recall (short story "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale" - as Phillip K. Dick, inspiration)
1992 Barjo (novel)
1995 Screamers (short story "Second Variety")
2001 Impostor (short story "The Impostor")
2002 Minority Report (short story)
2003 Paycheck (short story)
2006 A Scanner Darkly (novel "A Scanner Darkly")
2007 Next (novel story "The Golden Man" - as Phillip K. Dick)
2009 Screamers: The Hunting (Video) (inspired by the short story "Second Variety" by)
2010 Radio Free Albemuth (novel "Radio Free Albemuth")
2011 Beyond the Door (Short) (short story)
2011 The Adjustment Bureau (short story "Adjustment Team")
2013 The Pipers (Short)
2013 The Crystal Crypt (Short) (short story)
2015 The Man in the High Castle (TV Movie) (novel "The Man in The High Castle")