What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

December 26th, 2014 at 3:07:37 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Ayecarumba
The lack of GPS and satellite communication would impact the effectiveness of modern weapon systems. I'm not sure mid-air refueling would be possible without it.

We have one thing though: poetic license. (Or whatever you call it for movie making)

It's the thing that makes some people upset though if you go too far. (as some of us do complain about creative license vs reality here in our movies)

Of course, we are talking an entire battleship or carrier going back in time somehow. heh.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 26th, 2014 at 3:10:31 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
...also, a good story requires difficulty. So, can't just smash the Nazis, at least until the last minute possible.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 26th, 2014 at 3:28:08 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Ayecarumba
The lack of GPS and satellite communication would impact the effectiveness of modern weapon systems.

That's why we'd take an 80s carrier group. More autonomous and less dependent on externals (and battleships!)

Quote:
I'm not sure mid-air refueling would be possible without it.

There's been mid-air refueling longer than there's been GPS. Even if it's used now, I'm sure pilots regularly practice doing without it.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 27th, 2014 at 6:17:32 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Pacomartin
It was the USS Nimitz, two decades younger than the USS Ranger.

There was a funny scene in the movie, they pick up a congressman on a stranded boat. The congressman is totally offended the Navy would name their secret weapon ship with the name of a sitting admiral. Very enjoyable movie. Spotted by a Japanese plane, they have to shoot it down and bring the pilot aboard. I love time travel movies.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 27th, 2014 at 6:29:39 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Saw Snowpiercer
Liked it a lot.
Plot is a bit out there.
Due to global warming, scientists try to cool planet and instead freeze it by mistake.
last survivors live on a real long train on a huge yearly loop. luxury front, poverty rear.
Those in the back fight to get to the front of the train.
Really enjoyed the movie.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 27th, 2014 at 7:49:13 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: terapined
Saw Snowpiercer

Due to global warming, scientists try to cool planet and instead freeze it by mistake.

The graphic novel that this movie was based on is over thirty years old. At the time, the concept of global warming was not well known. However, the idea of a new ice age coming back is very old in fiction.

A little violent for me.

While a complete apocalypse is unlikely, the possibility of a cooling period that could bump off hundreds of millions remains a possibility.

The Little Ice Age (LIA) was a term introduced into the scientific literature by François E. Matthes in 1939.It has been conventionally defined as a period from about 1350 to about 1850, but NASA defines the term as a cold period between AD 1550 and 1850 and notes three particularly cold intervals: one beginning about 1650, another about 1770, and the last in 1850.

The year without a summer was in 1816 caused by a succession of major volcanic eruptions capped by the 1815 eruption of Mount Tambora, in the Dutch East Indies (Indonesia), the largest known eruption in over 1,300 years. An estimated 100,000 people starved in Ireland alone.
December 27th, 2014 at 9:32:15 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Evenbob
They over paid.

You're crazy. Imagine showing up to the scrapper with that sucker!

Of course, I'm the guy who fantasizes about the old coach down at the local train station. Man, I want to cut that up and cash in...

I wonder the legality of sinking ships. I've for years thought about doing it. Erie is a barren basin, free of just about any structure. Getting a hold of a 30' wreck for very cheap is no problem. If I could just sink it off the mouth of the Catt, I'd have a hell of a fishing spot. I know you can't sink "trash" and I wouldn't want to polute, but stripping a boat is cake. If I just sank a sanitized shell, which is well within my abilities to do confidently and surreptitiously, what's to stop me? How would anyone know?
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 20th, 2015 at 1:20:04 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Selma and American Sniper were released on the
same day 3.5 weeks ago. Selma has made 30 mil
in the US, AS 110 mil US. Selma is bombing big
time. It will make nothing overseas, if it's even
released there. AS will clean up overseas.

Hollywood is livid over this, yet they love movies
that glorify gratuitous violence. It's movies about
real violence they deplore. D'Janjo and Reservoir
Dogs was fine with them, but AS is not. Hypocrites.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 20th, 2015 at 2:10:37 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
Selma is bombing big time. It will make nothing overseas, if it's even released there.

That is not the correct term. Selma is a small budget film that will earn close to 3X it's production budget domestically. It will earn some money overseas, and it will sell very well on DVD. Most importantly it is winning awards.
January 20th, 2015 at 2:29:14 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
Most importantly it is winning awards.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3248344/posts

It got nominated for best pic and they say
it has zero chance of winning an Oscar. None of
the actors were nominated and it's being
criticized by everybody for portraying LBJ
and Coretta King totally wrong.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/01/19/the-biggest-problem-with-selma-has-nothing-to-do-with-lbj-or-the-oscars/

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2015/01/05/selma-under-fire-for-dishonest-trashing-of-lyndon-johnson/
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.