What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

December 24th, 2014 at 11:47:52 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: rxwine
Not sure if the same ship. Not much of a ship expert.

It was the USS Nimitz, two decades younger than the USS Ranger.
December 25th, 2014 at 12:00:31 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Sold for scrap at 1 penny.
]

They over paid. I once bought a piano
at an auction for a dollar. I was young
and stupid. I soon realized I got it so
cheap because it had no real value except
as scrap. And owning it and hauling it
around was more expensive than it's
value. They over paid for the boat.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 25th, 2014 at 1:06:09 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Pacomartin
It was the USS Nimitz, two decades younger than the USS Ranger.
Thanks to you both for the info.
December 25th, 2014 at 2:52:35 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
They over paid for the boat.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/jul/03/another-reef-ship-to-be-sunk-of-sd-coast/

Dozens of ships have been scuttled to make artificial reefs and diving attractions. You can see in this photo that all the doors have been made wide and all jagged metal has been removed so that it is easy to get out of for recreational scuba divers.

The Andrea Doria went down on 25 July 1956, while she was approaching the coast of Nantucket, Massachusetts, bound for New York City. The eastbound MS Stockholm of the Swedish American Line collided with it in what became one of history's most infamous maritime disasters taking 52 lives. Since 1980 at least 16 SCUBA divers have died trying to explore the wreck. Needless to say scuttling a ship has to be done in such a way that no recreational diver is trapped and is hurt. That means not too deep and with plenty of large holes to surface easily (and no jagged pieces of metal).

While it would be quite a job to work on an aircraft carrier to make it safe, how cool would that be? It could become a massive dive attraction.

One problem would be that it has a 37' draft so it would be difficult to sink so that it is safe for divers and still be entirely below the waterline so it is safe for ships passing above. You would have to sink it so that it is not a hazard to navigation.
December 26th, 2014 at 1:21:15 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Ayecarumba
There was a movie some time ago about an aircraft carrier that goes through a time warp and has a chance to stop the attack on Pearl Harbor...

I think it was more a teaser than a movie. The McGuffin whisks them all back before they can actually engage the enemy.

Ok, so it wasn't a fair fight. In fact, it was massively unfair. The people from the future would know exactly where the Japanese fleet was. Drop a few bombs on their carriers right before takeoff, when the deck is chock-full of fully fueled airplanes carrying tons of ordnance, and you don't just prevent the attack on Pearl harbor. You fairly knock Japan out as a fighting force in the Pacific for good.

I remember at the time of the movie some arguments about whether or not a single ship could win WWII.

The answer is: yes, single-handedly.

The US refuses to confirm or deny whether carriers have nukes on board. This means they do. So fly an A-6 to Tokyo. Then in a few days fly one to Berlin and, for good measure, one to Moscow as well (I wouldn't bother with Rome).
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 26th, 2014 at 2:33:57 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Nareed
I remember at the time of the movie some arguments about whether or not a single ship could win WWII.

The answer is: yes, single-handedly.

The US refuses to confirm or deny whether carriers have nukes on board. This means they do. So fly an A-6 to Tokyo. Then in a few days fly one to Berlin and, for good measure, one to Moscow as well (I wouldn't bother with Rome).

It would be a massive epic and expensive ( or maybe not with good CGI these days) to film an entire reimagined WW2 of a modern ship working secretly behind the scenes.

The surprise at D day, when the coastline is already smoking and no one is firing on troops as they land en masse.

I wouldn't go with the most logical approach to finishing the war -- just the most dramatic or cinematic.

A scene where Hitler personally observes a modern jet flying through his defenses and low over his head, perhaps doing a wing wave first before coming back and taking him out. Dramatic and somewhat amusing.

That sort of thing.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 26th, 2014 at 2:38:53 PM permalink
Nareed
A scene where Hitler personally observes a modern jet flying through his defenses and low over his head, perhaps doing a wing wave first before coming back and taking him out. Dramatic and somewhat amusing.

... right before the pilot releases a bomb with a hand-written chalk scroll that reads "Bye-bye, Adolph."
December 26th, 2014 at 2:42:24 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Shoot, we could even work, drones, the navy's new laser, DARPA's robotic cheetas, and whatever new other stuff is out there.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 26th, 2014 at 2:50:35 PM permalink
Nareed
It would be a massive epic and expensive ( or maybe not with good CGI these days) to film an entire reimagined WW2 of a modern ship working secretly behind the scenes.

I would send back a full aircraft carrier group. Depending on the era when the ships are from, these could include 2 full-size carriers, a Marine helicopter/Harrier troop carrier, 2 Aegis cruisers, 2-4 destroyers and/or frigates mostly for anti-submarine warfare, one 688-class sub and even one battleship (*)

It would be fun to have two iterations of the USS Iowa (**) firing in unison ;)

(*) As a reasonable movie carrier group.

(**) In a rare fit of Hollywood accuracy, the Iowa was commissioned in 1943. The 80s refit has radar and can fire guided shells.
December 26th, 2014 at 3:00:34 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
The lack of GPS and satellite communication would impact the effectiveness of modern weapon systems. I'm not sure mid-air refueling would be possible without it.