Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
That video is 14 minutes too long

What, he's going to show all the things
wrong in WW in 2 min? Thor is 18min
long, I'm surprised it didn't take half an
hour for that turkey..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 10th, 2018 at 1:38:03 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Best opening line for a movie review

Film Review: Dwayne Johnson in ‘Skyscraper’

Quote:
Writer-director Rawson Marshall Thurber's super-tall building boasts 240 stories, and for some reason, this is the one he chose to tell.

The movie itself sounds hilariously over the top.

https://variety.com/2018/film/reviews/skyscraper-review-dwayne-johnson-1202869239/
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 10th, 2018 at 3:41:20 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: zippyboy
..,or Sarah Jessica Parker.

My god, has it been that long since Footloose?
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
July 10th, 2018 at 3:49:48 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: JimRockford
..,or Sarah Jessica Parker.
My god, has it been that long since Footloose?

I always knew she would turn out
nasty looking, way too thin. My
sister in law is like that. She was
a beauty at 100 pounds, then she
hit late 40's, and now in her 50's
she looks like the wicked witch..

Without makeup SJP would frighten
small children..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 10th, 2018 at 3:58:44 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I saw Marlon Brando on a list of people who didn't age well, but to me, he just looks fat. He doesn't look unusually bad in most photos. Of course he doesn't look too good now.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 10th, 2018 at 5:52:05 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
I'm kinda worried about Dwayne Johnson aging. Arnold Schwarzenegger had a similar physique, but all the muscle turns to fat unless you constantly work out, and even then, your body cannot maintain that kind of muscle mass.

This is why we all need to see him in "Skyscraper" now. The clock for "The Rock" is winding down. It seems clear that his knees are really giving him a hard time.
July 11th, 2018 at 4:59:57 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: terapined
Really disappointed in the final season and the ending

This has been discussed before, but what is your opinion on whether all the events really happened or did they all die in the original crash and the whole thing took place in the afterlife?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 11th, 2018 at 5:09:08 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Wizard

This has been discussed before, but what is your opinion on whether all the events really happened or did they all die in the original crash and the whole thing took place in the afterlife?

I think all the original events happened. I think the writers got lazy and just kind of winged it regarding the ending.
I don't think they had a clear idea of how it was going to end as the seasons progressed and they added more and more obscure but fascinating details about the island to make people want to watch more. There was so much on the island that did not make sense and in the end really never explained. Too too many loose ends.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 12th, 2018 at 2:45:09 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I won't violate your spoiler concerns, but the best theory as to the "Lost" ending is well enough out there not to worry about it maybe?

I often get ticked off by what is called the "Deus ex Machina" plot device [see wikipedia page]. This probably doesn't fit "Lost" perfectly, but I think the often felt disappointment is related. In the case of that show, similar to having a guy wake up from sleeping at the end and say "it was all a dream"? Boy do I hate that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 12th, 2018 at 8:44:27 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: terapined
I think all the original events happened. I think the writers got lazy and just kind of winged it regarding the ending.
I don't think they had a clear idea of how it was going to end as the seasons progressed and they added more and more obscure but fascinating details about the island to make people want to watch more. There was so much on the island that did not make sense and in the end really never explained. Too too many loose ends.

I agree the ending seemed poorly written. I still lean towards the theory that everyone died in the original plane crash and the show was a purgatory, for lack of a better term, before the key characters were ready to go onto the next place. Notice how there were so many survivors in the pilot who just seemed to vanish from the show? I think they went to the next place sooner because they had fewer sins to atone for. Just my crazy theory.

Quote: odiousgambit
I often get ticked off by what is called the "Deus ex Machina" plot device [see wikipedia page]. This probably doesn't fit "Lost" perfectly, but I think the often felt disappointment is related. In the case of that show, similar to having a guy wake up from sleeping at the end and say "it was all a dream"? Boy do I hate that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't like it either but what annoys me much more is cutting off a show right when you're expecting closure to the story. The Sopranos is a good example. So is the movie Limbo, one of my favorites, and I hope to meet someone else who has seen it before I die. There I go with another purgatory reference.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber