What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

June 5th, 2022 at 6:45:35 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Pacomartin

I wondered if it was him. There haven't been that many civilian orbital trips. Mostly they are sub-orbital.

For the first flight he offered all employees the opportunity to go to Cape Canaveral to attend a three day party before the launch or after the recovery. He paid for chartered airlines, hotels, and paid all employee salary's during the trip. He is a very generous man and his company is the most progressive company that I have worked for.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
June 5th, 2022 at 10:55:22 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Wizard
I just saw Top Gun Maverick yesterday. I thought it was on par with the original. This was not a lazy sequel. For a summer action movie, it is much better than average -- High-budget and action packed from beginning to end.

Personally, I liked it, but didn't love it. I could say the same thing for the original.
same here, just saw it

Quote:
Here are a few questions and comments:

1. The movie shows Maverick flying a jet at a speed over mach-10. According to this article, the world speed record in a jet is only mach-3.3. I have no problem with this storyline, but at least make it a realistic speed.
I guess they might say the whole movie is set in the future, being events that have not happened, so maybe this was a look at what fighter planes might strive for in the future. However, Mach 10 is ridiculously out of sight for anything in the near future, and in the future of what Cruise's character would ever see, for fighters or bombers. So I pretty much agree with you, this was too much. Mach 10 is probably considered impossible anyway; I recall that the SR-71 Blackbird spy plane was said to glow red doing sustained mach 3 flights at 85,000 feet.

Quote:
2&3
nothing to add

Quote:
4. Which was the country we attacked in the movie? EB mentioned something about the movie not being "woke," but I thought it's a wimpy move to not state which was the enemy nation. My best guess would be Iran, but how would they come into possession of an old F-14?
from when we were chummy with the Shah? My question is where did they get planes more advanced than the F/A-18s?

Quote:
5. Did Jennifer Connoly's boobs get smaller?
evidently!

I once saw a program on U-2s that said he Russians faced a fundamental problem trying to send fighters to shoot down U-2 planes, no matter how the fighter would be designed. The addition of armaments to the fighter meant it could not reach the same altitude. [1960 Powers shoot-down was by an improved SAM missile]
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 5th, 2022 at 11:26:22 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Cast is very diverse racially and ethnically. Not sure if different religions are represented somewhere. Fairly woke. Don't know if there are any characters outside of that?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 5th, 2022 at 5:39:45 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: rxwine
Cast is very diverse racially and ethnically. Not sure if different religions are represented somewhere. Fairly woke. Don't know if there are any characters outside of that?
all such are represented, including female pilots, wouldn't be realistic otherwise. I don't think 'woke' is the right word.
June 5th, 2022 at 6:36:53 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: odiousgambit
all such are represented, including female pilots, wouldn't be realistic otherwise. I don't think 'woke' is the right word.

I haven't seen the movie but what percentage of the pilots were female? 7% of pilots in the US Air Force are female. Less than that are jet pilots. If the movie showed a larger percentage than that the movie is woke and pushing an agenda.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 5th, 2022 at 6:45:02 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: kenarman
I haven't seen the movie but what percentage of the pilots were female? 7% of pilots in the US Air Force are female. Less than that are jet pilots. If the movie showed a larger percentage than that the movie is woke and pushing an agenda.

I have not seen the new one, but the first one was made up of Navy pilots (which I am sure is the same in the new movie), and they have a much higher rate of female pilots (still a massive minority), but does it really matter? Is a movie "woke" if in any job there is not the precise number of insert demographic?

Remeber, when the first one came out females were still not allowed to be combat/fighter pilots (in America). So it's still a 100% increase from the 80s.... It will take time for the numbers to balance out in such roles....
June 5th, 2022 at 7:11:26 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Gandler
I have not seen the new one, but the first one was made up of Navy pilots (which I am sure is the same in the new movie), and they have a much higher rate of female pilots (still a massive minority), but does it really matter? Is a movie "woke" if in any job there is not the precise number of insert demographic?

Remeber, when the first one came out females were still not allowed to be combat/fighter pilots (in America). So it's still a 100% increase from the 80s.... It will take time for the numbers to balance out in such roles....

If the movies don't show minorities in great enough numbers that is considered racist by the left. If they over represent a minority isn't that also open to criticism?
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 6th, 2022 at 3:18:01 AM permalink
odiousgambit
One female pilot out of maybe 10. She was one of 5 or so given more screen time. If you object to that, then it seems that what you are objecting to is the current trend in the military.

Women in combat roles in any way shape or form is an alien idea to me. What were the movie makers supposed to do, even if they feel the same way?
June 6th, 2022 at 5:23:07 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: odiousgambit
One female pilot out of maybe 10. She was one of 5 or so given more screen time. If you object to that, then it seems that what you are objecting to is the current trend in the military.

Women in combat roles in any way shape or form is an alien idea to me. What were the movie makers supposed to do, even if they feel the same way?

If something can be implemented the military implements it. In many ways it is on the leading edge. It's not like there is debate about a new policy once it is ordered from top. Desegregation either ends up working, or it doesn't (it did eventually). Women, same, change in gay policies, same. They put policies in effect that came down on smoking like a hammer. In a way, it is test bed for a lot of things. More woke, than you might think.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 7th, 2022 at 1:55:37 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I’m actually gonna go see Top Gun Maverick tonight even though I’ve never seen the first one. The stellar reviews and word of mouth have piqued my interest.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman