What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

May 29th, 2022 at 9:14:07 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
Experts are saying this has Tom Cruise fingerprints all over it. He is a literally the hardest working man in the movies. He has almost total control of his movies and he gets involved in every aspect of it. I don't think I've ever seen a bad Tom Cruise movie. Talk about somebody that found his calling.

I won a $1 bet with my brother, who claimed Tom Cruise did all his own stunts. I don't deny he does most of them, but the rock-climbing scene in one of the Mission Impossible movies he had a professional double and I proved it.

I have nothing against Tom Cruise, but he tends to pick big-budget action movies, which don't entertain me as much as the next guy. My favorite Cruise movie is, by far, Risky Business.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 30th, 2022 at 6:53:07 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: rxwine
Haven't checked yet, but am betting Tom Cruise girlfriend in the new Top Gun is same age or younger than in the first one.

Tom Cruise is actually much better than most A-list actors about appearing with age appropriate actresses. Jennifer Connaly is 8.5 years younger than he is. Now that does mean she would have been age 12 when Risky Business was released, so she would not have been permitted to see the R-rated film.

Kelly McGillis (the love interest in Top Gun when she was age 29) was born on July 9, 1957, so she is now age 64. She has come out as a lesbian at the age of 52.

This photo is dated May 18 2010, so it would have been the same year she came out as a lesbian.

Classic movies were much more cavalier about male/female age differences. Fred Astaire was 30 years older than Audrey Hepburn, and she was age 27 when Funny Face was released in 1957.

BTW the Wizard turned age 57 last week. Did he do some stunt on his unicycle?
May 31st, 2022 at 1:16:44 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Experts are saying this has Tom Cruise fingerprints all over it. He is a literally the hardest working man in the movies. He has almost total control of his movies and he gets involved in every aspect of it. I don't think I've ever seen a bad Tom Cruise movie. Talk about somebody that found his calling.

Rock of Ages was a stinker.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
June 1st, 2022 at 5:18:03 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: ams288
Rock of Ages was a stinker.

It is literally impossible for any actor to star in 50 movies over 40 years and have all of them get great reviews,

Tom Cruise (born July 3, 1962), and worst rotten tomatoes score for his career
7% 1988 Cocktail Brian Flanagan (Character) $77.3M
 16% 2017 The Mummy Nick Morton (Character) $80.1M
 18% 1982 Losin' It Woody (Character) -
 26% 1981 Endless Love Billy (Character) -
 27% 2007 Lions for Lambs Sen. Jasper Irving (Character) $15.0M
 38% 1990 Days of Thunder Cole Trickle (Character), Writer $80.6M
 38% 2016 Jack Reacher: Never Go Back Jack Reacher (Character), Producer $58.7M
 40% 1985 Legend Jack (Character) $12.3M
 42% 2001 Vanilla Sky David Aames (Character), Producer $100.6M
 43% 2012 Rock of Ages Stacee Jaxx (Character) $38.5M

Tom Cruise (born July 3, 1962), and rotten tomatoes score for his first films from teenager to mid 20's
 26% 1981 Endless Love
 68% 1981 Taps
 18% 1982 Losin' It
 63% 1983 All the Right Moves
 68% 1983 The Outsiders
 92% 1983 Risky Business
 40% 1985 Legend
 57% 1986 Top Gun ------- note that critics thought much more of Risky Business than they did of Top Gun
 89% 1986 The Color of Money
 7% 1988 Cocktail
 89% 1988 Rain Man
 86% 1989 Born on the Fourth of July
June 1st, 2022 at 2:32:54 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Because he’s still a bona fide movie star who makes movies normal people
want to see, Tom Cruise could earn a record $200 million for Top Gun: Maverick,
reports Celebrity Net Worth."

In it's first four days Top Gun Maverick brought in over three hundred million dollars worldwide. Absolutely incredible.

This is going to send a message to Hollywood that 'get woke go broke' is absolutely true. Maybe we're finally done with this nonsense. I miss the days when we made fun of weirdos and misfits and didn't kowtow to their every stupid whim.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 1st, 2022 at 5:25:45 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
This is going to send a message to Hollywood that 'get woke go broke' is absolutely true. Maybe we're finally done with this nonsense. I miss the days when we made fun of weirdos and misfits and didn't kowtow to their every stupid whim.

What in god’s name does wokeness have to do with Top Gun?

I’m starting to think EB just thinks any movie that features a black person is “woke.”
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
June 1st, 2022 at 6:48:27 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: ams288
What in god’s name does wokeness have to do with Top Gun?

I’m starting to think EB just thinks any movie that features a black person is “woke.”

I thought he was saying the exact opposite. I took his comment to mean that Top Gun: Maverick had no "woke themes" and makes a fortune that moviemakers will stop making films with "woke themes" and return to pure entertainment.

I think there are good films and bad films. There are good films that deal with the difficult part of public expectations, like Best Years of our Lives

May 8, 1945 V-E day
August 14, 1945 V-J Day
Best Years of our Lives Released
November 21, 1946 (New York City, premiere)
December 25, 1946 (Los Angeles)
By the standards of the propoganda films released during the war, " Best Years of our Lives" must have seemed pretty "woke" to many people.

I think we all have seen films that work so hard at meeting some social objective that they sacrifice good writing. But one mega blockbuster is not going to change that completely.
June 1st, 2022 at 7:24:25 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Pacomartin

I think we all have seen films that work so hard at meeting some social objective that they sacrifice good writing. But one mega blockbuster is not going to change that completely.

Few people like a message picture delivered like a blunt object to the head. If you can't deliver it in the form of proper art or entertainment, than you should be making a documentary.

But people don't get tired of something when it's well made to begin with. Though they may get fatigued from a genre for awhile, but that's not the same.

Fact is, Bob never liked a woke picture, so he can't get tired of it.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 1st, 2022 at 11:10:50 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
I thought he was saying the exact opposite. I took his comment to mean that Top Gun: Maverick had no "woke themes" and makes a fortune that moviemakers will stop making films with "woke themes" and return to pure entertainment.

Critic after critic is saying one of the things that makes Top Gun such a good movie is there is no wokeness in it whatsoever. Nobody is hitting you over the head with race or gender issues, the writer and the director have no cause they're trying to further. Get woke go broke is a very real thing, people are getting sick and tired of having 2% of the population dictate how we're supposed to act. Look at West Side Story as an example, an epic failure for Steven Spielberg because it was a steaming pile of woke garbage. It went almost immediately to streaming. You better believe he's looking at Top Gun and saying what was I thinking.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 2nd, 2022 at 7:15:04 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
My boss rented out multiple movie theaters so our employees could see a sneak peak of the new Top Gun (he is an aviation fanatic who has owned lots of jets and at one time had the "worlds largest private air force"). I was out of the country so I did not see the movie and probably won't as that is not the type of movies that I enjoy.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.