What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

May 19th, 2022 at 10:06:19 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: rxwine
Normally, I would expect a film about American fighter jets to have a stronger American market than overseas as our military operations aren't without controversy. Perhaps Cruise cleverly edited in something related to current Ukraine situation which resonated with the Cannes audience.

Every movie that premieres at Cannes gets a standing ovation. It’s meaningless. 6 minutes is actually on the shorter side.

https://qz.com/quartzy/1625450/once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-and-the-longest-standing-ovations-in-cannes-film-festival-history/amp/
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
May 19th, 2022 at 7:13:17 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Men

I have no effing idea what I just watched.

Mainstream audiences are absolutely going to DESPISE this movie.

I almost want to recommend it just for the WTF final act. But no, I wouldn’t.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
May 29th, 2022 at 12:41:18 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Haven't checked yet, but am betting Tom Cruise girlfriend in the new Top Gun is same age or younger than in the first one.

If not, where's the dang perks.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 29th, 2022 at 1:14:15 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Haven't checked yet, but am betting Tom Cruise girlfriend in the new Top Gun is same age or younger than in the first one.

If not, where's the dang perks.

I have not seen it yet, but I read a review that praised it for having his love interest be his age. (I forget the actress's name).
May 29th, 2022 at 1:45:33 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Gandler
I have not seen it yet, but I read a review that praised it for having his love interest be his age. (I forget the actress's name).

Lost that bet pretty quickly. He may very well get leading men parts well into his 60s, unless he finally kills himself doing all those stunts.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 29th, 2022 at 2:10:25 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Lost that bet pretty quickly. He may very well get leading men parts well into his 60s, unless he finally kills himself doing all those stunts.

He has aged remarkably well. And, yes I know on film there is makeup and special effects that help, but I saw three of his movies over the last several weeks Rain Man (mid 80s) A Few Good Men (early 90s), and The Last Samuri (mid 2000s), and he looks pretty similar even til today.

He has one of those faces where since his late 20s he always looks healthy middle aged (not sure if that is a great way to describe it), but almost like his 30s-(almost) 60s he looks the same.
May 29th, 2022 at 3:03:52 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Top Gun is it going to break a Memorial Day weekend record box office. The reason? It's absolutely totally 100% not woke. Audiences are sick to death of that crap.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 29th, 2022 at 7:36:38 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I just saw Top Gun Maverick yesterday. I thought it was on par with the original. This was not a lazy sequel. For a summer action movie, it is much better than average -- High-budget and action packed from beginning to end.

Personally, I liked it, but didn't love it. I could say the same thing for the original.

Here are a few questions and comments:

1. The movie shows Maverick flying a jet at a speed over mach-10. According to this article, the world speed record in a jet is only mach-3.3. I have no problem with this storyline, but at least make it a realistic speed.

2. Where was this canyon they kept doing practice runs through? I heard someone say the Air Force or Navy actually does fly planes through it. I might like to go and watch, if it's on public property.

3. One gets the impression from the movie anyone can get in a jet and turn it on, without a key. Do ten-million dollar Navy jets require a key to fly?

4. Which was the country we attacked in the movie? EB mentioned something about the movie not being "woke," but I thought it's a wimpy move to not state which was the enemy nation. My best guess would be Iran, but how would they come into possession of an old F-14?

5. Did Jennifer Connoly's boobs get smaller?

Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 29th, 2022 at 8:10:57 PM permalink
rxwine
Even when they have a key, it's likely already in the ignition. On a secure base, which is pretty much all areas where a fighter would be sitting you sure don't want the pilot showing up in an emergency scramble without the key.
May 29th, 2022 at 8:51:23 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
I just saw Top Gun Maverick yesterday. I thought it was on par with the original. This was not a lazy sequel.

Experts are saying this has Tom Cruise fingerprints all over it. He is a literally the hardest working man in the movies. He has almost total control of his movies and he gets involved in every aspect of it. I don't think I've ever seen a bad Tom Cruise movie. Talk about somebody that found his calling.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.