What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

November 5th, 2022 at 2:49:37 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
For some reason I thought "Greenland" might be worth watching. Acting was decent. Script added nothing new to the "End of the World" genre. It's wasn't so bad that I quit before the movie ended but I wouldn't watch it again, unless I was really bored.

Also watched "American Gangster" At first I thought it was an older movie made in the 70s. But Denzel and Russell Crowe soon indicated otherwise.

I thought it was good, but there are some really good gangster movies, so it had a high mark to meet. Worth watching but not as good as several others.

The real interview with the real guy on youtube was pretty interesting which I looked up afterwards.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 6th, 2022 at 11:32:31 AM permalink
rxwine
Weird Al has a bio-pic coming out with Danial Radcliff playing Weird Al. Except it's mostly a parody of a Weird Al's life. He only met Madonna for 45 seconds and she's in the whole movie pursuing him apparently. She famously refused to let him parody any of her songs.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 6th, 2022 at 2:43:32 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: rxwine
Weird Al has a bio-pic coming out with Danial Radcliff playing Weird Al. Except it's mostly a parody of a Weird Al's life. He only met Madonna for 45 seconds and she's in the whole movie pursuing him apparently. She famously refused to let him parody any of her songs.

He did a parody of like a virgin called like a sturgeon.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
November 6th, 2022 at 3:23:08 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: DRich
He did a parody of like a virgin called like a sturgeon.

He wanted her consent, but didn’t need it.
November 7th, 2022 at 1:15:22 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: rxwine
Weird Al has a bio-pic coming out with Danial Radcliff playing Weird Al. Except it's mostly a parody of a Weird Al's life.

Weird: The Al Yankovic Story was filmed on a budget of around $8 million over eighteen days between February and March 2022. I hink $8 million is the snack bar budget for many films today.
December 15th, 2022 at 7:19:05 PM permalink
rxwine
Trivia

he Three Musketeers, a 1903 French production about which very little is known
The Three Musketeers: Part 1 and Part 2, 1911 silent film shorts from Edison Studios starring Sydney Booth (a member of the Booth family) as D'Artagnan
Les trois mousquetaires, 1913, French silent film serial directed by André Calmettes, which ran in two installments: La haine de Richelieu and Le triomphe de d’Artagnan
The Three Musketeers, a 1914 American film directed by Charles V. Henkel and starring Earl Talbot
The Three Musketeers (1916 film), a Hollywood feature directed by Charles Swickard, supervised by Thomas H. Ince and including in its cast Louise Glaum as Milady de Winter and Dorothy Dalton as Queen Anne
Les Trois Mousquetaires, a 1921 French film featuring Aimé Simon-Girard and Claude Mérelle. A blockbuster of its day, it spawned a number of sequels. (An adaptation of Twenty Years After was released the following year.)
The Three Musketeers (1921 film), starring Douglas Fairbanks
Les Trois Mousquetaires (1933 film), a French talkie remake of the 1921 French film, with the same director (Henri Diamant-Berger) and much of the same cast
The Three Musketeers (1933 serial), a Mascot Studios serial featuring John Wayne, updated and set in North Africa, with the Musketeers replaced by French Foreign Legionnaires
The Three Musketeers (1935 film), featuring Walter Abel
The Three Musketeers (1939 film), a comedic version starring Don Ameche and the Ritz Brothers
Los Tres Mosqueteros (1942), a Mexican movie directed by Miguel M. Delgado and starring Cantinflas as D'Artagnan
The Three Musketeers (1946 film), an Argentinian/Uruguayan film
The Three Musketeers (1948 film), an MGM production starring Gene Kelly, Van Heflin, Lana Turner, June Allyson, and Angela Lansbury
The Three Musketeers (1953 film), directed by André Hunebelle, featuring Georges Marchal and Bourvil
Los tres mosqueteros y medio (1957), a Mexican comedic version starring Tin-Tan
The Three Musketeers (1961 film), a double-feature adaptation directed by Bernard Borderie, with Gérard Barray, Mylène Demongeot, Guy Delorme and Jean Carmet
The Three Musketeers (1969 film), a television movie starring Kenneth Welsh and featuring Christopher Walken
The Three Musketeers (1973 film), and The Four Musketeers (1974 film), a two-film adaptation starring Michael York, Charlton Heston, Raquel Welch, Oliver Reed, Frank Finlay, Faye Dunaway, Richard Chamberlain, and Spike Milligan
D'Artagnan and Three Musketeers (1978), a popular Soviet musical featuring Mikhail Boyarsky
The Three Musketeers (1993 film), a Disney production starring Charlie Sheen, Kiefer Sutherland, Chris O'Donnell, Oliver Platt, Tim Curry, and Rebecca De Mornay
Three Musketeers (2004 musical), a musical film with Volodymyr Zelenskyy in which the three musketeers are women
D'Artagnan et les trois mousquetaires (2005), starring Vincent Elbaz
The Three Musketeers (2011 film), a 3D version directed by Paul W. S. Anderson and starring Logan Lerman and Ray Stevenson, Luke Evans, Christoph Waltz, Mads Mikkelsen, Orlando Bloom, Milla Jovovich, Gabriella Wilde and Matthew Macfadyen
3 Musketeers, a 2011 direct-to-video modern action adaptation produced by The Asylum
The Three Musketeers (2013 film), a Russian historical adventure film
The Three Musketeers: D'Artagnan and The Three Musketeers: Milady, a 2-part adaptation schedule for release in 2023.
Animated versions
Three Blind Mouseketeers, a 1936 Disney Silly Symphony cartoon starring the voices of Billy Bletcher, and Pinto Colvig
The Three Musketeers in Boots, a 1972 anime from Toei Animation featuring cats as the main characters
d'Artagnan l'intrépide, a 1974 animated feature film directed by John Halas
Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds (1981-82+), a cartoon serial faithfully adapting the story with anthropomorphic dogs.
The Three Musketeers (1986 film), an Australian made-for-television animated adventure film from Burbank Films Australia
The Three Musketeers (1992 film), a production using classical music
Mickey, Donald, Goofy: The Three Musketeers (2004), another Disney remake, this one is a made-for-video film. The plot makes it more like a sequel, actually featuring the Musketeers from the original story as separate characters.
Barbie and the Three Musketeers (2009), a direct-to-video Barbie movie in which the Musketeers are female.
The Three Mesquiteers, a series of 51 western B-movies released between 1936 and 1943
The Three Musketeers, a 1954 BBC adaptation in six 30-minute episodes, starring Laurence Payne, Roger Delgado, Paul Whitsun-Jones and Paul Hansard
The Three Musketeers, a 1966 BBC adaptation in ten 25-minute episodes, directed by Peter Hammond and starring Jeremy Brett, Jeremy Young, and Brian Blessed
The Three Musketeers (American TV series), a series of animated shorts produced by Hanna-Barbera in 1968 as part of The Banana Splits television show
The Three Musketeers, a 1973 Australian made-for-TV cartoon, one of a series of Famous Classic Tales adaptations
The Three Musketeers Anime (Anime Sanjūshi), a Japanese animated series produced by Gakken
Young Blades, a television series that aired on PAX
The Three Musketeers (2013 TV series), a Russian series directed by Sergey Zhigunov and Alexey Zlobin
The Musketeers, a 2014 BBC series by Adrian Hodges
December 16th, 2022 at 4:16:04 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Saw Avatar 2 last night in IMAX 3D.

Absolutely stunning. See it in 3D.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
December 16th, 2022 at 6:34:40 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: ams288

No IMAX theaters near enough. There is an RPX 3D. Not going this early in the screening though.

--------------------
Babylon keeps reminding me of the sci--fi TV series. But not that apparently.

Quote:
Margot’s co-star Brad Pitt, 58, has admitted he found the amount of nudity in the movie “shocking”.

Written and directed by Damien Chazelle, 37, and due for a cinema release in America on December 23, ‘Babylon’ is described as a “tale of outsized ambition and outrageous excess” which “traces the rise and fall of multiple characters during an era of unbridled decadence and depravity in early Hollywood”.

When did the depravity and decadence leave Hollywood?
December 17th, 2022 at 6:58:24 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: ams288

I am shocked that adults are interested in Science Fiction. I know I am in the minority but I just can't think of a single science fiction show or movie that I have ever enjoyed.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 17th, 2022 at 8:56:59 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: DRich
I am shocked that adults are interested in Science Fiction. I know I am in the minority but I just can't think of a single science fiction show or movie that I have ever enjoyed.

I love science fiction
im currently reading the Murderbot diaries
I'm on book 5 Network effect
Very entertaining
About a part human. part robot security unit thats extremely lethal that hacked its own governor module so its essentially now free which is unusual and rare in the books Universe
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"