What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

March 18th, 2016 at 10:31:51 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
I thought Titanic sucked, what age group was that aimed at.

Obviously it was largely aimed at women. The best weekend they had was weekend #13 (Valentine's Day). It is extremely rare for a movie today not to have it's best weekend the first one, with the obvious exception of posh movies that open to a limited number of screens as they are expecting to get good critical reviews.

Titanic actually had a screening in London 20 years later where people wore Victorian costumes and sat in lifeboats in a pool. I have no idea what tickets cost.
March 18th, 2016 at 11:24:06 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
What a yawner Titanic was, I thought the damn
thing would never sink. What cracked me up
was they made a huge point that the ship
was overloaded with passengers, yet there
was scene after scene where the young dipshit
couple seemingly had the entire ship to
themselves. Just dumb. And it was at least
an hour too long. The 1953 version with
Robert Wagner was much more watchable.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 19th, 2016 at 6:36:06 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
The latest live action/CGI reboot of "The Jungle Book" came out this week, and I got a free ticket to a 3-D IMAX showing. If you are familiar with the 1967 Walt Disney animated feature, this telling of the story is a much darker, less musical version of that classic (but some of the classic songs ("The Bare Necessities", "I Wanna Be Like You (The Monkey Song)" are revised). Jon Favreau, who directed the original Marvel Studios "Iron Man" helmed this beast of a CGI spectacle, and it is filled with complex action sequences, animal fights, and an ark full of animated creatures from the Zoo. For the most part, the mix of live action, puppets and CGI animation is pretty impressive. However, there were a few times when some of the characters appeared out of proportion or "flat", especially while speaking. I am not sure if that was due to the 3-D processing or just trouble rendering a mouth on a creature that doesn't have the anatomy to actually form words.

Speaking of 3-D, it has been some time since I have seen a 3-D film that I could recommend spending money on. However, this is one that I would. The use of the 3-D imagery has been carefully thought through, and there are only a few of chase scenes, where the shots are moving quickly in a dark environment, where it is more of an irritation than a benefit. If you do see the film in 3-D, be sure to sit through the credits, as a long sequence within the closing credits has been optimized for the effect. I guess it balances out a song sung by Scarlett Johansson during the credits... which was horrible. Like embarrassingly bad nooneisdrunkyetsoyoucan'tusethatasanexcuseyet karaoke. She has a voice-only role as Kaa the snake which is a real shame, as her voice is not her strongest asset...

Christopher Walken picks up the Louis Prima role from the animated film. He does a pretty good job on his version of the classic "I Wanna Be Like You"; but hey, he's Christopher Walken after all.

The action and violence is pretty intense (it's a jungle out there) and the characters are, for the most part, very realistically rendered, which should cause concern for younger children when the subject of death and dying is demonstrated or implied (as it is numerous times throughout this film). I would recommend it for ages 10+ only.

I give it 7 Red Flowers out of 10.
April 19th, 2016 at 10:31:06 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Ayecarumba
I give it 7 Red Flowers out of 10.

Only 12 bad reviews out of 198 as counted by rotten tomatoes. That's even higher than Cinderella which had 34 bad reviews out of 207.
I thought Cinderella was incredible.

Disney is planning live action remakes of Sword in the Stone, Dumbo, Pete's Dragon, Pinochio, Alice Through The Looking Glass,Maleficent 2,Cruella, Winnie The Pooh, Beauty And The Beast, Mulan, Tink, Prince Charming, Genies, and Night On Bald Mountain.
April 19th, 2016 at 11:43:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin

Disney is planning live action remakes of Sword in the Stone, Dumbo, Pete's Dragon, Pinochio, Alice Through The Looking Glass,Maleficent 2,Cruella, Winnie The Pooh, Beauty And The Beast, Mulan, Tink, Prince Charming, Genies, and Night On Bald Mountain.

Seriously? They announced this? Cinderella made
$450 mil more than it cost to make.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 20th, 2016 at 12:40:21 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Disney has made live action version of a Disney animated film in the past. Usually to huge profits with the exception of The Sorcerer's Apprentice.
101 Dalmatians (1996)
George of the Jungle (1997)
102 Dalmatians (2000)
Enchanted (2007) (a variation of Snow White)
The Sorcerer's Apprentice (2010) with Nicholas Cage
Alice in Wonderland (2010)
Maleficent (2014)
April 20th, 2016 at 12:23:55 PM permalink
Pacomartin

I want to see remakes of movies where the monster kid grows up to be hot.
April 20th, 2016 at 1:14:05 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
The ring
I thought the original Japanese version was much better then the US version
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 20th, 2016 at 7:48:21 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: terapined
I thought the original Japanese version was much better then the US version

It was practically a shot by shot reshoot of the original with the same director. The only difference was it was in English with SMG.
April 20th, 2016 at 8:04:48 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Pacomartin
It might be a flop.

But I think that studios look through the backlog and they can't stop thinking about past successes and wondering if they can be repeated.
I read movie makers think the cost of producing a movie that they have no idea whether or not it will be a flop, is much more risky than remaking a movie that made money in the past. For instance, there are many Dracula movies. And Batman's.

Later in the thread, sequels are mentioned. I can't believe there are so many Rocky movies.

I like "Men in Black 3", the best of the series.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW