What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

April 20th, 2016 at 10:36:32 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Movie with most related sequels.

Godzilla (1953), Godzilla Raids Again (1955), King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962), Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964), Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster (1964), Invasion of Astro-Monster (1965), Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster (1966), Son of Godzilla (1967), Destroy All Monsters (1968), All Monsters Attack (1969), Godzilla vs. Hedorah (1971), Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972), Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973), Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974), Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975), The Return of Godzilla (1985), Godzilla vs. Biollante (1989), Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991), Godzilla and Mothra: The Battle for Earth (1992), Godzila vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993), Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla (1994), Godzilla vs. Destroyah (1995), Godzilla 2000: Millennium (1999), Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (2000), Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack (2001), Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (2002), Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S (2003), Godzilla: Final Wars (2004), Godzilla (2014). (Credit: Cinema Arts Centre, 1962)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 21st, 2016 at 5:47:34 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Pacomartin
It was practically a shot by shot reshoot of the original with the same director. The only difference was it was in English with SMG.

You're confusing The Ring with The Grudge.

I thought the English remake of The Ring (with Naomi Watts) was great. I remember seeing it in the theater and there was a group of four teenage girls in front of me. I think it scarred them for life. They were literally huddled on the floor holding each other by the end of the movie.

The English remake of The Grudge (with SMG) was meh.

Both The Ring 2 and The Grudge 2 were just plain awful.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
April 21st, 2016 at 7:16:43 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
It was practically a shot by shot reshoot of the original with the same director. The only difference was it was in English with SMG.

Ringu 1998 directed by Hideo Nakata
The Ring 2002 directed by Gore Verbinski

I remember a lot of differences
I stand by my comment that the Japanese version was better even though the US version had a 40 mil budget while Ringu was made for 1.2 mil
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 21st, 2016 at 8:25:32 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: terapined
I remember a lot of differences
I stand by my comment that the Japanese version was better even though the US version had a 40 mil budget while Ringu was made for 1.2 mil

Mea Culpa

You are right. I am getting confused with The Grudge, a 2004 Japanese-American supernatural horror film and a remake of the Japanese film Ju-On: The Grudge directed by Takashi Shimizu. I watched both films and they were almost identical except for language.

I never saw Ringu.
April 21st, 2016 at 3:57:56 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Only 12 bad reviews out of 198 as counted by rotten tomatoes. That's even higher than Cinderella which had 34 bad reviews out of 207.
I thought Cinderella was incredible.

Disney is planning live action remakes of Sword in the Stone, Dumbo, Pete's Dragon, Pinochio, Alice Through The Looking Glass,Maleficent 2,Cruella, Winnie The Pooh, Beauty And The Beast, Mulan, Tink, Prince Charming, Genies, and Night On Bald Mountain.

Pete's Dragon was a mix of live action and animation (like the dancing penguin sequence in Mary Poppins. I don't know when it crosses the line from "Live" to "Animated". In the recent Jungle Book there was only one real person, surrounded by computer generated animated animals for most of the movie.

Before the Jungle Book screening, they played a trailer for Alice Through the Looking Glass. I didn't see the other Tim Burton directed "Alice" remake, but this one looks similar (i.e., too psychedelic for kids to enjoy). Too be fair, I didn't enjoy Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, nor The Nightmare Before Christmas.
April 21st, 2016 at 5:00:41 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Ayecarumba
Pete's Dragon was a mix of live action and animation (like the dancing penguin sequence in Mary Poppins. I don't know when it crosses the line from "Live" to "Animated". In the recent Jungle Book there was only one real person, surrounded by computer generated animated animals for most of the movie.

I didn't realize that there was only one person. Disney could submit Jungle Book for best animated feature, if it wanted to compete against it's own films.

BTW, there were 40 million 4K Ultra High Definition TV's shipped in 2015 (worldwide). This film could probably sell 5-10 million of those TVs.
April 21st, 2016 at 5:41:57 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I can't watch animated movies, they bore
me to death. Hearing a celebrities voice
coming from a car, or a farm animal, is
just not entertaining to me. It's a lazy way
to make a lot of money, they even admit
that's why they do it. No makeup, no lines
to remember, just go in, read your part, and
get paid buckets full of money.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 21st, 2016 at 5:50:54 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Ayecarumba
Before the Jungle Book screening, they played a trailer for Alice Through the Looking Glass. I didn't see the other Tim Burton directed "Alice" remake, but this one looks similar (i.e., too psychedelic for kids to enjoy). Too be fair, I didn't enjoy Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, nor The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Tim Burton didn't actually direct the Alice sequel. He just produced it.

The first one was nearly unwatchable for me. I'll pass on this one.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
April 21st, 2016 at 7:53:05 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Evenbob
No makeup, no lines to remember, just go in, read your part, and get paid buckets full of money.

What the actors are paid for voice parts is a fairly tight secret. Of course to you or me it is buckets full of money, but to them it is not usually anywhere near their live action parts pay. While Toy Story 3 was an almost certain billion dollars in boxoffice, and untold billions in toy, clothing, book, and DVD sales, Tom Hanks was paid $15 million for his voice role. Angels and Demons made slightly under half a billion dollars, and a whole lot less in ancillary income but Hanks was paid $50m since The Da Vinci Code had earned $3/4 billion.

Tim Allen was paid the same as Tom Hanks for the Toy Story movies.
April 21st, 2016 at 11:55:47 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
The actors point is, being paid 5 or 10 or 15
mil for what is to them a walk in the park,
is totally worth it. It doesn't take months,
it doesn't involve any real work, and each
session is a couple hours. For millions of
dollars. Only in America.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.