Fishing With Face

Thread Rating:

July 16th, 2019 at 11:53:11 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Face

Now... what do we all look for in new boats? I know y'all have been on them before. What do you like, what do you hate? What should a young man 'bout to make an impulse purchase and looking for 10+yrs of ownership be coveting?

My best advice when considering a boat is to get a slip at a marina. Towing a boat sucks and you will use it a lot less if you don't have a slip. If I ever own a boat again it will definitely be stored on the water.

At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 17th, 2019 at 9:50:20 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: DRich
My best advice when considering a boat is to get a slip at a marina. Towing a boat sucks and you will use it a lot less if you don't have a slip. If I ever own a boat again it will definitely be stored on the water.

I can't wrap my head around it. It's almost certainly a no-go because the lake is huge. My two main spots have a 40min drive between them, which is a 90min float on the best of days and a solid 2hrs+ on a typical one. And I don't fish just Erie. I don't have it figured out at all during the spawn and prefer to instead take advantage of a weedless springtime Chautauqua. Then there's desired trips up to the Adirondacks...

But even all that aside,... I don't even leave my s#$%box wheeler out in the rain. I couldn't imagine just leaving it there, dissolving my glues and warping my woods and oxidizing my metals. Seems...irresponsible. Especially so seeing as I don't lament towing. Save repeatedly bashing in my rear plate, there's no stress involved lol. Bet it don't even add 30min to the faff.

What's got me stuck atm is hulls. I DO NOT want something bigger than 19', but it needs to handle Erie. I would suppose that all these bass boat-esque things are a no-go cuz of the flat bottom, but I've no real idea.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
July 17th, 2019 at 10:21:09 AM permalink
DRich

What's got me stuck atm is hulls. I DO NOT want something bigger than 19', but it needs to handle Erie. I would suppose that all these bass boat-esque things are a no-go cuz of the flat bottom, but I've no real idea.

When I lived on Lake Erie, I had an 18 foot deep V bowrider. It was fine most of the time. I don't remember the brand but it really doesn't matter. It was a very generic fishing/leisure boat.

Edit: I do remember, it was a Chrysler.
July 17th, 2019 at 10:38:54 AM permalink
Face
When I lived on Lake Erie, I had an 18 foot deep V bowrider. It was fine most of the time. I don't remember the brand but it really doesn't matter. It was a very generic fishing/leisure boat.

Edit: I do remember, it was a Chrysler.

That's certainly where I'm leaning, just thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Just looked at a brand new 18' Lowe. 6.25% APR for TWELVE YEARS lol.

If ever there is a Rapture, banks will have catalyzed it.
July 17th, 2019 at 10:46:44 AM permalink
DRich
That's certainly where I'm leaning, just thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Just looked at a brand new 18' Lowe. 6.25% APR for TWELVE YEARS lol.

If ever there is a Rapture, banks will have catalyzed it.

That boat is probably pretty light. You wouldn't need a very big motor.
July 17th, 2019 at 11:45:07 AM permalink
Face
That boat is probably pretty light. You wouldn't need a very big motor.

Aye. 90-150hp, depending on your checkbook.

This site is cool as hell. Can go bit by bit and "install" stuff you want. Different seats, different power, different carpet and accoutrement. It's a lot of fun. Until you get to the end and it says how much it all costs lol.

I was about to go on a tirade about "who tf they think they're fooling with this 'starts at $XX,XXX' nonsense", but here I am reading their s#$% and contemplating a purchase anyway.

Lol. Goddamnit ;)

Lowe Fishing Machine 18 FT
July 17th, 2019 at 12:02:51 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
First, you have to figure out what you are going to do with it. No boat will do all things. It would take about 5 boats to cover all the things a mariner likes to do.

For me, there is no reason to have a glass boat. If I get another one, I would get it like the last 2, and that is to use the heck out of them. You guys are getting pretty boats. I drive mine right on the trailer or the beach. Good rubbing strakes on the bottom etc.

Depends on where it's going as far as electronics/radar etc.

Just had my first aerated fish hold, that was great. I'd never buy new unless I did hit the lotto, but many boats are "hangar queens". I don't care if I had to haul if over a thousand miles on initial pick up. I also have no problem renting a boat or going out with fishing guides. Great way to pick up lots of info quick on a new area. Anymore, I demand a motor, don't want to paddle, I need hydraulic seats that are padded well enough that the shock from the chop never hits my vertebrae with full force. I don't mind minor dings or scrapes, although I don't try to hit things, it happens in the course of how I use boats.

Like I said previously, my friends gillnetter was nicknamed the "rainbow warrior" because it had a smudge of everyone else's in the marina's boat color on it.

I had a neighbor who had a 4 inch mark on his glass boat, so he towed it to Phoenix to have the original pinstripe replaced on his 18 year old garage stored boat. He was so scared of having a mark on his 18 year old glass boat he would anchor out a hundred feet from shore and make his guests walk to shore and walk back. I got mine to use, I drive right on to a sandy beach and power back off. Different strokes.

Depends on what the owner is going to use the boat for. Are you getting it to show people you can afford a pretty toy, or are you getting it to play with? Knowing I will drive mine onto the beach precludes me shopping for a fiberglass hull. And because I am aware of how I use one, a tiny scratch doesn't steer me away from an otherwise "perfect" boat. I won't buy one that leaks, which you have to check on an aluminum boat, but after a couple years pounding the waves if I take on a couple gallons in a day doesn't freak me out. That is also something you have to be aware of if you're going to leave it in the slip. Make sure it has an auto bilge pump, and someone has to look in it regularly to make sure it's not filling with rain or leaking.

I agree with Drich about having a slip, but that was the reason I sold my houseboat a few years ago. The slip rent rose to 700.00 per month, just to park it in a slip on the water.

In Kodiak, a 36 ft. slip was 1100 per year! in Cali, slips start at 700 per month, [don't knock the pacific ocean] or in Lake Powell, I'm assuming slip space is the same at lake Mead? Here the marina's are rigged, so big business or tribes are the only ones that can own water frontage.

ymmv
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 17th, 2019 at 12:12:50 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Aye. 90-150hp, depending on your checkbook.

This site is cool as hell. Can go bit by bit and "install" stuff you want. Different seats, different power, different carpet and accoutrement. It's a lot of fun. Until you get to the end and it says how much it all costs lol.

I was about to go on a tirade about "who tf they think they're fooling with this 'starts at $XX,XXX' nonsense", but here I am reading their s#$% and contemplating a purchase anyway.

Lol. Goddamnit ;)

Lowe Fishing Machine 18 FT
That is a great boat. I hate to see it when a guy spends all that money fitting it out, and then scrimp on the motor and slap "Black Death" on the back. If you are going to spend that much money, do yourself a favor and get a Yamaha. Look at serious mariners round the world, or up the Amazon river, or down at Murdoch bay, and know those guys are way out there, and spend their lives doing that type of stuff. Most of them have Yamaha's. Go look at what the pro's are using, or talk to some on the phone, ask 'em what they are running.

I had a friend in Ak that was so well known, Mercury gave him two 150's to use, just for the advertising. He changed them out mid season, because when it really matters, you just can't spend your time being broke down.

Oh, and as long as your fitting her out, get full canvas.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 17th, 2019 at 12:29:26 PM permalink
DRich
I would think that even the 90hp motor would move that boat along at 40mph.

Now that you are getting a new boat it would only make sense to run out and buy a new Escalade or Range Rover to pull it.
July 17th, 2019 at 1:53:07 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?