Original Sin?

March 10th, 2016 at 2:57:19 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: Nareed
Far more cling to any interpretation that leaves in any god.

One, the strength of Christian, Muslim or Jewish belief in general or of a person in particular is irrelevant. Before these religions existed, people believed as strongly in other deities with different types of practices. I would no more believe in Amun-Ra because Hatshepsut was the god's wife of Amun, than I would believe in Jesus because Francis is his vicar on Earth.

Two, I stated what criteria any evidence would require to meet. Do you think it's unfair, or held at a different standard than scientific evidence?
I think your criteria is fine. Someone rising from the dead would fit pretty well. That's probably why Jesus used it, so there could be no equivocation.
March 10th, 2016 at 2:59:02 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: pew
Thank youze guys for totally making my point. Anything but god a priori.

I (vaguely) recall a quote - "If the human brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't".

I can admit there can be a god, for no other reason than I cannot prove there's not. But to think that you or I or anyone ever, even if we could combine our collective mental processes into one superthink, could understand It or, as youze guys claim, actually know this being, is ridiculous on such a level so as to be offensive.

Could there be? Sure. Could be alternate dimensions, could be mirror Earths, could be lands where life is based on methane instead of carbon. But your god? The Creator of All has mannerisms insanely similar to humans? And us? We are the Great Creation?

I'll admit, your balls are bigger than mine.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 10th, 2016 at 3:09:24 PM permalink
pew
Quote: Face
I (vaguely) recall a quote - "If the human brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't".

I can admit there can be a god, for no other reason than I cannot prove there's not. But to think that you or I or anyone ever, even if we could combine our collective mental processes into one superthink, could understand It or, as youze guys claim, actually know this being, is ridiculous on such a level so as to be offensive.

Could there be? Sure. Could be alternate dimensions, could be mirror Earths, could be lands where life is based on methane instead of carbon. But your god? The Creator of All has mannerisms insanely similar to humans? And us? We are the Great Creation?

I'll admit, your balls are bigger than mine.
I appreciate your sentiments and agree with you for the most part. It is hugely important subject that interested people can actually have an intelligent dialog and discussion over. Just not on this board.
March 10th, 2016 at 3:21:21 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I think your criteria is fine. Someone rising from the dead would fit pretty well.

Maybe.

It would depend on many factors. Even today it's possible to pronounce someone dead when they're not. In ancient times this happened more often than you'd think.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 10th, 2016 at 3:23:27 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I appreciate your sentiments and agree with you for the most part. It is hugely important subject that interested people can actually have an intelligent dialog and discussion over. Just not on this board.

I disagree. I think a few here could have that convo. Just not about the Judeo-Christian god, nor any other god ever conceived within any religion that has ever existed, nor any ideas ever thought about any of these gods, nor any attributes given to any of these gods.

In other words, they're all the same, and dreadfully simplistic. Talking about creation, though, is often interesting. Maybe even fun.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 10th, 2016 at 3:27:02 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Face
could be lands where life is based on methane instead of carbon.

Methane is a gaseous compound made of hydrogen and carbon :)

Much has been made in science fiction about lifeforms based on silicon, as it is chemically comparable to carbon ( they're on the same group in the periodic table). To spare you the physics, the additional electron shells found in silicon make this unlikely. For a point of comparison, simply contrast diamond and quartz. The former is crystalline carbon, the other is crystalline silicon. There are similarities, but they're very different.
March 10th, 2016 at 3:55:24 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
A quote from a book telling us that people won't believe something proves what?

It certainly doesn't tell me what I am willing to believe.

It certainly doesn't tell you what I am willing to believe either.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 10th, 2016 at 4:45:28 PM permalink
pew
Quote: Dalex64

It certainly doesn't tell me what I am willing to believe.

It certainly doesn't tell you what I am willing to believe either.
It most certainly does. It isn't 100% as I'm sure someone would see the evidence in an unbiased manner but alas they would be the exception that proves the rule. It's a very insightful passage as evidenced on these very pages.
March 10th, 2016 at 8:37:28 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Nareed

Two, I stated what criteria any evidence would require to meet. Do you think it's unfair, or held at a different standard than scientific evidence?

This little video might be helpful to you:

“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
March 11th, 2016 at 6:30:46 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Dalex64

Well, it relates what Luke imagined Abraham would say to an unnamed man we don't even know for sure existed :)

I think it all goes back to believers thinking that because they find their beliefs so dazzlingly obvious, in some cases, everyone else will too. If they don't, and many, many people don't, then there must be something wrong with them, as there cannot be anything wrong with their beliefs.

IT's a common refrain in the Bible. It's not uncommon today, either. It's just "God" is not invoked as much as he used to be. Just look at politics. One side thinks the other side is criminal and evil. The other side thinks their opponents are mentally ill and evil. And they trade positions every so often.