Original Sin?

March 11th, 2016 at 12:48:11 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: Nareed
It seems it's not possible to discuss religion with a believer who will not resort to innuendo and self-righteousness.
Now that's some funny stuff! Who the heck is discussing religion anyhow? Certainly not me.
March 11th, 2016 at 12:52:48 PM permalink
pew
If you really want to talk past someone er....discuss religion call out f.r.gamble. He seems to like that tediousness.
March 11th, 2016 at 12:56:48 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: pew
If you really want to talk past someone er....discuss religion call out f.r.gamble. He seems to like that tediousness.

All religious talk is tedious, how could it
not be. You're discussing nothing at all,
it can't be anything but tedious.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 11th, 2016 at 1:27:12 PM permalink
pew
Quote: Evenbob
All religious talk is tedious, how could it
not be. You're discussing nothing at all,
it can't be anything but tedious.
Amen.
March 14th, 2016 at 7:20:34 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble
This little video might be helpful to you:

I thought about it. Then I decided 7+ minutes of Christian apologia was 6:30 minutes too long.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 11th, 2016 at 5:11:09 PM permalink
Evenbob
That is true, but be careful of your use of the word "proof". Remember faith is involved in just about everything we do

The more we discuss god and Christianity,
it becomes glaringly evident that all you
have to go on is faith. But isn't that how
it's supposed to be? If there was solid
evidence for everything you claim, faith
would never enter into it it. I don't use
faith for the sun coming up tomorrow, I
have hard facts that say it will.

When evidence and proof are absent, what
you have left is faith. You have religion.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 12th, 2016 at 11:26:08 AM permalink
Evenbob
edited
April 12th, 2016 at 1:19:56 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
If there was solid
evidence for everything you claim, faith
would never enter into it it. I don't use
faith for the sun coming up tomorrow, I
have hard facts that say it will.

Correction, you do have faith that the sun will come up tomorrow. There is no proof that it will and no 100% guarantee. There is strong evidence and facts but if tonight you say for sure that the sun will come up tomorrow you are making an act of faith. It is the same reason you can say your wife loves you or that your food is not poisoned. You have a large collection of experiences, facts, and other evidence that show you clearly that this is the case. However, it still takes faith to act on what you believe and to trust your wife and your food.

As sure as I am that the sun will rise tomorrow is as sure and certain as I am that the Son has risen. I have a large collection of experiences, facts, and other evidence that show me clearly that this is the case. I have faith, but that faith is grounded in evidence.

Quote:
When evidence and proof are absent, what
you have left is faith. You have religion.

Proof you do not have, but when evidence is absent you have something that is not worthy of trust. You have something that is the opposite of religion and faith.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 12th, 2016 at 1:31:15 PM permalink
Evenbob
Correction, you do have faith that the sun will come up tomorrow. There is no proof that it will and no 100% guarantee.

It's come up every day for hundreds of
millions of years. You're just being silly
now.

Quote:
when evidence is absent you have something that is not worthy of trust. You have something that is the opposite of religion and faith.

Then you have nothing, I guess. Hey,
you said it, not me. You are most
certainly lacking in even the most
rudimentary pieces of evidence, the
well is dry. Christians are clinging
to their faith by their fingernails,
always hoping against hope some
real evidence will turn up someday.
April 12th, 2016 at 2:20:54 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Faith isn't an on/off switch, and you should consider the quality of the evidence when determining how much faith to put in something.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan