Original Sin?

March 1st, 2017 at 5:12:49 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Nareed
The universe isn't the equal of the parts within it. I thought we agreed on that.

We did, the universe is awesome!!! However it is still contingent.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
March 1st, 2017 at 5:44:18 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble
We did, the universe is awesome!!! However it is still contingent.

Proof?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 1st, 2017 at 7:05:23 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I'm not quite sure of what you are asking. You give evidence of a miracle and then seem to want an explanation as to why not everyone gets a miraculous healing? This is again where the supernatural comes into play. There are far more miracles in which no one gets a crazy cure but rather they receive a peaceful spirit and the gift of hope through the trials they may face. This prayer is always answered.

SEE ABOVE - for ridiculous excuse for failure.

Pretty sure I can prove miracles the same way. Pass around cloths that are said to be from the pope and aren't really. If enough go out someone will claim a miracle. Our miracle Catholic lottery winner is Harriot. Her eyeball popped out while coring some apples. It has returned to its socket. Hurrah to Pope Whathisface!

I don't claim any evidence for anything creating the Universe beyond the Big Bang. I'm saying no discovered answers have ever had a supernatural evidence for whatever previous thing was a mystery. Including any and all supposed interventions on Earth by your god or any other claimed god.

None zero zilch. All your evidence of god is worth alien UFOs and ghost evidence. Once you move beyond that, we'll have something.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 1st, 2017 at 7:38:41 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Joseph Campbell would be sooooooooo very disappointed in you Bob, .

All myths come from false arguments, did
you think they came from logic and truth?
That's why they're called myths, they aren't
true. And both Jesus and Yahweh come
from combined myths, that's a fact.

Crash Course's definition of myth: An untrue
story not to be taken seriously. They also say
myth has been replaced by science. Just like
religion is being replaced. I studied all of this
a long time ago, I'm not sure about seeing it
again. Most myths are silly primitive things,
superficial ways to explain how the world
works by superstitious uneducated people.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 1st, 2017 at 10:52:47 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
If the Bible were written to be more logically consistent, at least it could be a better book in that way.

If Christianity were represented by a large jigsaw puzzle, and FrGamble was explaining it as he put it together, when a piece wouldn't fit, he would just lay it atop the hole and then proceed with an explanation why that's exactly the right way to assemble it.

That's the way I perceive his method.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 1st, 2017 at 11:58:50 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine

If Christianity were represented by a large jigsaw puzzle, and FrGamble was explaining it as he put it together, when a piece wouldn't fit, he would just lay it atop the hole and then proceed with an explanation why that's exactly the right way to assemble it.

No, he would take out a huge mallet
and pound on the piece till it fit. Pound
and pound. Not as elegant as a shoehorn,
but it kinda works.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 2nd, 2017 at 10:00:43 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Nareed
Proof?

The exact same reasoning and evidence used to show that you are contingent or the chair you are sitting on is can be used to show the universe does not have the reason for its existence in itself and is not eternal. Ask do I have to be here? Am I dependent on anything else for my existence? Is there evidence that I have not always existed? These will lead you to the conclusion, that modern cosmology agrees with, that you, your chair, and the universe are contingent things that came into being and require a cause.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
March 2nd, 2017 at 10:04:50 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: rxwine

I'm saying no discovered answers have ever had a supernatural evidence for whatever previous thing was a mystery. Including any and all supposed interventions on Earth by your god or any other claimed god.

I think you know this is not true. There are numerous miracles that do not have any natural answer to why or how it is possible. This doesn't mean they are supernatural necessarily but it should give you more pause then you seem to have in the sentence below:

Quote:
None zero zilch. All your evidence of god is worth alien UFOs and ghost evidence. Once you move beyond that, we'll have something.

There is all the evidence you need to believe in God and to compare it to UFOs just shows you don't want to discover it or seriously think about it. Nothing I can do there my friend but pray for you.
March 2nd, 2017 at 10:08:24 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
The exact same reasoning and evidence used to show that you are contingent or the chair you are sitting on is can be used to show the universe does not have the reason for its existence in itself and is not eternal.

Again: the universe is not the equal of its constituents. We've agreed there is a qualitative difference.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 2nd, 2017 at 10:10:42 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
All myths come from false arguments, did
you think they came from logic and truth?

For someone who says they have studied myth you show an alarming ignorance here. Myth comes from the search for truth and they pass on truth through the powerful means of stories. Stories that are fictional or somehow connected to fact or reality but only in an oblique way.

Quote:
Crash Course's definition of myth: An untrue
story not to be taken seriously. They also say
myth has been replaced by science. Just like
religion is being replaced.

Here you are either lying or speaking out of ignorance and I wish you would do neither. Here is the video please watch it, then apologize for mischaracterizing their definition of myth, and then together let us learn something about this important genre of human communication:

Crash Course: Mythology

Quote:
I studied all of this
a long time ago, I'm not sure about seeing it
again. Most myths are silly primitive things,
superficial ways to explain how the world
works by superstitious uneducated people.

I am going to call you out here and say you did not really study it. This is not at all what Joseph Campbell would say about myth. Can you give me one scholar of mythology who would agree with your above statement?