Original Sin?

March 2nd, 2017 at 10:11:48 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Nareed
Again: the universe is not the equal of its constituents. We've agreed there is a qualitative difference.

Yes, and you are greater than your parts as well, but still did not create yourself or are eternal.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
March 2nd, 2017 at 10:14:58 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: rxwine
If the Bible were written to be more logically consistent, at least it could be a better book in that way.

If Christianity were represented by a large jigsaw puzzle, and FrGamble was explaining it as he put it together, when a piece wouldn't fit, he would just lay it atop the hole and then proceed with an explanation why that's exactly the right way to assemble it.

That's the way I perceive his method.

There are so many missing pieces to me understanding Christianity and life that you never have to worry about me trying to force a fit or just saying good enough. I am going just for the low hanging fruit. The most I can ever reasonably understand is the outside border of any puzzle. There the pieces make it easier to see how they fit together. Anything in the middle of the puzzle I am hopelessly lost. The best I can do is say these look like they kind of go together. If you think you have life figured out and all the pieces fit I would be very, very, interested to hear about it.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
March 2nd, 2017 at 10:39:45 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble
Yes, and you are greater than your parts as well, but still did not create yourself or are eternal.

But following your method, you'd conclude I reproduce by mitosis.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 2nd, 2017 at 10:59:59 AM permalink
FrGamble
I don't quite follow you but I do think we actually do reproduce by mitosis or meiosis.
March 2nd, 2017 at 11:32:21 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Myth comes from the search for truth

That end up using mostly false arguments.
Most myths result from seeing an outcome
and trying to reason out a cause. Like the
silly creation story in Genesis.

Quote: evenbob
Crash Course's definition of myth: An untrue
story not to be taken seriously.

Quote:
Here you are either lying or speaking out of ignorance and I wish you would do neither. Here is the video please watch it,

Already saw it, where do you think the
quote came from. Go to 3.56 sec in:

"Because we use the term 'myth' to describe
something that isn't true, we can come away
with the definition of 'myth' as a story that is
false and not to be taken seriously." He then
explains how myths were powerful and taken
seriously long ago, even though they were
obviously made up of false stories. Myths
were created to make a point, the more fantastic
the story, the more of a point it made.

He's wrong about the American Dream. It
wasn't about a dream of coming here and striking
it rich. It was about doing better than where
you came from. Maybe owning a business, or
even a house. It's mostly about your kids doing
better than you, which until Obama, was a still
what people worked for. It's hardly a myth.

Quote:
Can you give me one scholar of mythology who would agree with your above statement?

It's a given that myths are fanciful made up
false stories, do you really think a man has
been sentenced to push a boulder up a hill
forever? Or the woman in the video causes
the change of seasons? You go into studying
myths knowing they aren't true, to find out
why people made them up and why they had
such an impact on ignorant minds.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 2nd, 2017 at 11:37:27 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
There are so many missing pieces to me understanding Christianity

That's because it's a made up myth that
has a hollow center. Everything there
is to understand about it has to be made
up first, invented like Tolkein writing LotR.
Middle Earth only existed in Tolkein's head,
just like Jesus still living and saving you from
anything is a fanciful story you've been told
and bought into.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 2nd, 2017 at 2:48:03 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I don't quite follow you but I do think we actually do reproduce by mitosis or meiosis.

So you're saying I can split myself in half and create two distinct beings? Or I can split myself in four and create four distinct half-beings who just need to join with other half beings?

The point is cells reproduce one way (and mitochondria another!) Gametes reproduce a different way. And humans don't reproduce either like skin cells or ova.

That's what a qualitative difference means.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 2nd, 2017 at 7:30:18 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I think you know this is not true. There are numerous miracles that do not have any natural answer to why or how it is possible.

Well I just saw Mother Mary leading a tween driven metal concert. Maybe that's one.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 2nd, 2017 at 7:44:14 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob

Already saw it, where do you think the
quote came from. Go to 3.56 sec in:

"Because we use the term 'myth' to describe
something that isn't true, we can come away
with the definition of 'myth' as a story that is
false and not to be taken seriously." He then
explains how myths were powerful and taken
seriously long ago, even though they were
obviously made up of false stories. Myths
were created to make a point, the more fantastic
the story, the more of a point it made.

Did you not get that they were explicitly warning us against using the word myth to describe something that isn't true. You seem to be missing the point entirely. He even explicitly says that myths as stories were seen as fantasy as far back as the 6th century BC. What mythology studies is why these myths are so important or significant to people that they have such amazing staying power. What profound truths are being passed on that allows these mythical stories to be so treasured for generations and generations.

Quote:
You go into studying
myths knowing they aren't true, to find out
why people made them up and why they had
such an impact on ignorant minds.

You always sabatogue yourself when you are so close to making sense and being correct. Your last line about ignorant minds is well...ignorant.
March 2nd, 2017 at 7:49:59 PM permalink
FrGamble
Jesus is not a myth. He is a real person who lived, preached, died, and was risen from the dead. His impact on the Earth is real and obviously not a myth. Real people saw Him Risen from the dead and these real people spread the Good News of salvation through Jesus until they died. Many came to believe in Him and have experiences of the Risen Lord as well and continued to spread the Good News throughout the whole world and still today continues to grow. The world was changed not because of a myth but a real historical person and history that you can research yourself.