Original Sin?

December 9th, 2017 at 2:55:15 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
More Americans Turning To Witchcraft; Participation In Traditional Religions Declines

Modern Day Witches Call Theirs ‘A Beautiful Way Of Life’

"NEW PALTZ, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — At a time when participation in traditional religions is declining among Americans, the practice of witchcraft is on the rise."

I knew some witches 20 some years ago,
nicer and smarter people I've never met.
They actually think and participate in
their religion, and understand it. Cool
people to hang out with.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 26th, 2018 at 5:46:30 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
So, Garden of Eden, ideal real estate, they probably just ate plants.

Quote:
Loma Linda, California, a city where food and faith have worked hand in hand in cracking the code to a long life. Nestled among rugged hills in San Bernardino County, 59 miles east of Los Angeles, Loma Linda is home to one of the highest concentrations of Seventh-day Adventists in the world. Nearly half of the town's estimated population of over 24,000, identify as followers of the church. It is also America only's designated "Blue Zone," or, according to NPR, one of a handful of communities "across Europe, Latin America, Asia, and the US researchers have identified as having the highest concentrations of centenarians in the world."
The Seventh-day Adventists are known as America's "longevity all-stars" and they largely credit their long life spans to their vegetarian diets.

I thought their idea might be based of GOE, but it is apparently more of an idea of the body as a temple. (I think)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wellness/how-a-meatless-town-in-california-made-turning-100-no-big-deal/ar-BBIhLvD?li=AA5LBhu&ocid=spartanntp&ffid=gz
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 26th, 2018 at 6:26:34 PM permalink
Evenbob
It has more to do with never smoking or
drinking or doing drugs then with being
a vegan.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 28th, 2018 at 8:36:12 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
He really gets going.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 28th, 2018 at 9:45:05 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: rxwine
He really gets going.]

You gotta have the Southern twang to
preach the real gospel. It's not Jesus,
it's 'Jayzus'..
January 31st, 2018 at 12:32:32 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
This is to answer Evenbob following post originally posted in the vocation thread:

Quote: Evenbob
Only if that's your intent when you
start. Nobody begins with a blank
slate and ends up logically at a god.
Quite the opposite, in fact.

How then did the idea of God even begin? Even the smallest kid or a caveman can by reason alone realize that things that don't have the reason for their existence in themselves depend on something else for their existence. Then these same cavemen or small children realize that this can't go on forever, there has to be something that is the source and foundation of all that exists and this something must be eternal and uncreated. There are other ways to get to God, but I think this is probably the easiest and most obvious.

The only, and I mean only way to arrive at atheism is to desperately want it to be so. You have to will yourself into atheism, you cannot logically come to that conclusion. I would be happy to be shown how you logically arrived at thinking that there is no God.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 31st, 2018 at 1:42:27 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: FrGamble
How then did the idea of God even begin?

Gods, you mean. Every culture had gods
first, even the Jews. They took all their
gods and consolidated them under one
main god, Yahveh. Gods are a logical
conclusion to the ignorant and uneducated.
The more science you learn, the less logical
god gets. To a scientist, god is the very
last answer to any question they might have.
So far, the god answer has never been used
in science to answer anything. Nor will it ever
be.
January 31st, 2018 at 2:27:48 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
Gods are a logical
conclusion to the ignorant and uneducated.

This goes completely against what you just said about no one would arrive at God if given a blank slate. Let me know when your head stops spinning. If you continue to keep just saying contradictory things to get you out of trouble let me know when you have really settled on something and we can discuss it.

Quote:
The more science you learn, the less logical
god gets. To a scientist, god is the very
last answer to any question they might have.
So far, the god answer has never been used
in science to answer anything. Nor will it ever
be.

You are an awful philosopher and don't seem to respect science and its role. Please explain to me how so many of the greatest scientists who every lived were very faithful followers of God, many were priests (do you want me to post the list again?). The fathers of most of the major fields of science were religious. What you are saying is not only illogical (how does it follow that knowing science makes God less logical?!?), but it is also blatantly false based on history and facts.

Science does not have the ability to use the God answer, nor should it. If it could just say God did it there would be not exploration, no discovery, no growth in knowledge. The genius of science is that it must use observation and experimentation to achieve its truths. God does not fall under science's purview. If ever you hear a scientist claim that they have proof God exists or proof that God does not exist you can safely ignore anything he or her says.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 31st, 2018 at 2:46:29 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
" The Gods must be crazy"
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 31st, 2018 at 2:55:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: FrGamble
This goes completely against what you just said about no one would arrive at God if given a blank slate.

I should have been clearer that
educated people never arrive at
the logical conclusion that there
is a god, but the uneducated and
ignorant always do. If a scientist
is a god follower, it's because he
was raised that way and never
because he came to that conclusion
on his own thru logic. In fact, god
is completely illogical. That a supernatural
being outside the realm of natural
law created everything is preposterous,