Original Sin?

June 27th, 2018 at 9:12:53 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: aceofspades
Love is oxytocin - a chemical

No, love is an free act of the will to wish the good for the other.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
June 27th, 2018 at 11:28:34 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
No, love is an free act of the will to wish the good for the other.

According to the Church, 'love'
was forcibly converting Jews
wherever they could. It was for
their own good, the Church
claimed. 'Love' was Mother Teresa
sneaking around her clinic
in the dead of night converting
the dying who had no idea what
she was asking. To the Church, love
is just another 4 letter word..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 27th, 2018 at 8:28:16 PM permalink
FrGamble
No, Bob I'm sorry love is NOT forcibly converting anyone and no the only thing Mother Teresa was doing in the dead of night is cleaning wounds, feeding, and praying for folks like you.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
June 27th, 2018 at 9:19:04 PM permalink
Evenbob
No, Bob I'm sorry love is NOT forcibly converting anyone.

Yet that was the Church's stance during
forced conversion. They said they were
doing it for the persons own good, out
of love.

As far as Teresa, there are witnesses
who saw her do it. Lots of them. It's
why so many of the Indian doctors
and medical staff were against her.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 28th, 2018 at 3:45:50 AM permalink
FrGamble
If you can show me one instance where the Church's official stance was forced conversion I'll leave you alone for good.

I'm glad you like the evidence of personal testimony when it benefits you. However, with Mother Teresa you are always going to lose the eyewitness argument unless you could get those she was actually ministering to to say something bad, and that has not or will not happen.
June 28th, 2018 at 11:12:41 AM permalink
Evenbob
If you can show me one instance where the Church's official stance was forced conversion

St Augustine speaking for the Catholic Church hundreds of years ago said that forced conversion is good for it paves the way to real conversion. "It is indeed better (as no one ever could deny) that men should be led to worship God by teaching, than that they should be driven to it by fear of punishment or pain; but it does not follow that because the former course produces the better men, therefore those who do not yield to it should be neglected. For many have found advantage (as we have proved, and are daily proving by actual experiment), in being first compelled by fear or pain, so that they might afterwards be influenced by teaching, or might follow out in act what they had already learned in word." --Saint Augustine, Treatise on the Correction of the Donatists. Because of St Augustine, the Catholic Church endorsed forced conversion of unbelievers into the Church.
June 28th, 2018 at 11:14:14 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
If you can show me one instance where the Church's official stance was forced conversion I'll leave you alone for good.

I'm glad you like the evidence of personal testimony when it benefits you. However, with Mother Teresa you are always going to lose the eyewitness argument unless you could get those she was actually ministering to to say something bad, and that has not or will not happen.

Padre - is there an "official" Catholic document that specifically states that "God exists"...?
June 28th, 2018 at 12:19:49 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: aceofspades
Padre - is there an "official" Catholic document that specifically states that "God exists"...?

Yes, every single one, including the Bible.
July 1st, 2018 at 9:08:37 PM permalink
Evenbob
FrG has asked me about regrets in
relation to sin. I always say I
do not really have any regrets.
I ran across this somewhere and
cannot say any of them apply
to me. Not one. I always do
what I want to do, and that leads to
few regrets.

https://bestlifeonline.com/most-common-regrets/
July 2nd, 2018 at 12:37:22 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
I always do
what I want to do, and that leads to
few regrets.

This is literally the recipe for and the beginning of all regret.