October 1st, 2016 at 6:24:07 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Hail in Mexico City from August 2014
December 15th, 2016 at 1:09:27 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Time to wake up this thread. I just got back from eight days of torturing the people of Costa Rica with my awful Spanish. This was the third trip in four years.

At one point I was sitting at a bar when a lovely young Latina girl approached me. Her motives you can probably guess. The young lass was wearing a tight-fitting Minnie Mouse shirt. So, of course, this brings on an onslaught of Disney trivia in broken Spanish. One of the questions was to name the Seven Dwarfs. For one of them she said "Enojado."

I tried to explain that Enojado was not the best translation of Grumpy. My temporary teacher didn't know what Grumpy meant so I tried to explain it. Then we couldn't seem to find a better word in Spanish for grumpy.

SpanishDict.com translated grumpy to Grunon*. As an alternative it listed malhumorado . My question is how do they translate it in the actual movie?

* Sorry, but my computer is not letting me make Spanish letters at all. Even copy and paste isn't working.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 15th, 2016 at 1:12:41 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Wizard
SpanishDict.com translated grumpy to gru���±���³n . As an alternative it listed malhumorado . My question is how do they translate it in the actual movie?

No clue.

I adore much of post-Disney Disney animation (ie from Beauty and the Beast/Little Mermaid onwards), and I haven't watched a dubbed movie in over thirty years.

You could look up "Blancanieves y los siete enanos" on YouTube.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 16th, 2016 at 6:35:13 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
* Sorry, but my computer is not letting me make Spanish letters at all. Even copy and paste isn't working.

To make the lower-case "ñ" try holding down the ALT key while typing 164. Upper case is ALT-165.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 16th, 2016 at 8:54:53 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Nareed
To make the lower-case "ñ" try holding down the ALT key while typing 164. Upper case is ALT-165.

For some reason, that doesn't work for me on this site. If it try it is like hitting the back button a few times. I can always make one in another application and copy it over.

I'll try that now: ñ

JB is on the problem of the Spanish characters. He thinks it is related to when the site went down a few weeks ago.

Back to the Seven Dwarfs. The one dwarf my temporary friend couldn't think of was Bashful. When I explained what bashful meant, she said the Spanish equivalent would be timido, which I always took to mean shy. While bashful and shy are pretty similar, is there any better translation for bashful?
December 16th, 2016 at 9:54:08 AM permalink
Pacomartin
JB is on the problem of the Spanish characters. He thinks it is related to when the site went down a few weeks ago.

The website suddenly lost the ability to do any characters at all. I used to be able to do British pound sign or the Euro sign. Also some very common characters like the dash no longer seem to work.
For instance if I copy this segment from Wikipedia with a simple dash
Pythagoras (c. 570 � c. 495 BC)

Back to the Seven Dwarfs. The one dwarf my temporary friend couldn't think of was Bashful. When I explained what bashful meant, she said the Spanish equivalent would be timido, which I always took to mean shy. While bashful and shy are pretty similar, is there any better translation for bashful?

I agree, as we think of mice as "timid", but not as "bashful".

http://www.omniglot.com/language/names/7dwarfs.htm
However, the above website lists the dwarf's name as timido.

Online etymology Dictionary lists the original meaning of bashful (adj.) as to "lose one's composure, be upset" (early 14c.),

But it says it is related to the Old French word baissier "bring down, humiliate" (see abash). But English "abase" is translated as Spanish "humillar". We don't think of the dwarf as being humiliated. The English word "composure" is translated as Spanish "calma". The English word consternation translates to "consternacion". None of these words is exactly what we mean by "bashful" in English.

AFAIK (unless Nareed correct me) the word doesn't have a completely accurate equivalent in Spanish
December 24th, 2016 at 9:38:04 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
áú¡¿ñ

¡I'm happy to say the problem with unusual characters has been fixed!
December 24th, 2016 at 9:50:01 AM permalink
JB
Administrator
Threads: 10
I should mention that the fix won't retroactively correct characters or character sequences that are already garbled.
December 24th, 2016 at 10:20:21 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Let me try posting something

América Móvil is the leading provider of integrated telecommunications services in Latin America. Through the development of a world-class integrated telecommunications platform, we offer our customers a portfolio of value added services and enhanced communications solutions in 25 countries in America and Europe. At June 30, 2016, the company had 364.5 million access lines, including 282.9 million wireless subscribers, 33.7 million landlines, 26 million broadband accesses and 22 million PayTV units. In Latin America, América Móvil operates under the brands: Telmex, Telcel and Claro.

Looks good!

£ Pound sign
€ Euro sign

Quote: JB
I should mention that the fix won't retroactively correct characters or character sequences that are already garbled.

Can you explain the problem?
December 24th, 2016 at 10:53:17 AM permalink
JB
Administrator
Threads: 10
Quote: Pacomartin
Can you explain the problem?

The server had its PHP version upgraded, and the new version came with a different default character encoding.