West Wite Ox Boulevard.
December 24th, 2016 at 2:02:33 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
December 24th, 2016 at 9:29:47 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
My hotel in San Jose, Costa Rica, was next to the Parque Zoológico Simón Bolívar Parque Zoológico Y Jardín . One morning, when I had nothing better to do, I went there. It seemed like the place couldn't decide whether to be a zoo or park. However, they had a few owls, which helped in my never-ending quest to understand the difference between a búho, lechuza, and tecolte.

Strangely, my eyes were pretty much useless there for short distances without my glasses. Here I need them for reading books with small fonts but in Costa Rica I couldn't read signs or restaurant menus. Must have been something about the sudden change in temperature and pressure. So, I took pictures of these signs with the intent to read them later, because I didn't have my glasses with me at the time.

Sorry for the awful lighting. The sign was partially in the shade of a plant.

Here is my translation:

Owls and Owls

The owls and the owls present grey, brown, and black feathers, which permit them to be less visible during by day. The females look similar to the males but are bigger and heavier.

They are awake at night, have big eyes, and an excellent sense of hearing, which helps them to be excellent hunters.

Some of the owls have "ears," which are pointed, narrow on each side of the crown, which helps them them camouflage themselves. The owls have a strong horn, big head, round face, and do not present ears.

I struggled with how to translate cuerno in the context of the sign. I'm not sure what to call those things that appear like ears on some owls. If the sign is to be believed, they are not ears at all.

Getting back to my point, I think it could be said that a búho appears to have ears sticking up and lechuzas do not.

That still leaves the question is what is a tecolte? I asked several people in Costa Rica about this. About half said they never heard the word before and had no idea. The others sighed and said something to the effect of, "That is some word only Mexicans use for owl."

búho

Lechuza
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 25th, 2016 at 5:14:06 AM permalink
JB
Administrator
Threads: 10
Quote: Pacomartin

Yes. Ideally, it all would have been UTF-8 to start with, but it wasn't and hindsight is 20/20.
December 25th, 2016 at 1:44:41 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Wizard
That still leaves the question is what is a tecolte? I asked several people in Costa Rica about this. About half said they never heard the word before and had no idea. The others sighed and said something to the effect of, "That is some word only Mexicans use for owl."

They would probably correct. Tecolote m ‎(plural tecolotes) is based on an Aztec word tecolōtl .Wiktionary says it is also used in El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras.

Quote: Five idiomatic expressions of Costa Rican Spanish
1. “Gift me a beer!” – replacing dar with regalar
Nowhere else would you tell a waiter to “gift” you a pizza or to give you a beer (as a present). But oddly enough, somewhere down the line, Costa Ricans started substituting the verb regalar (to give as a gift) for dar (to give) when requesting products, services, or information. So if you want to order a drink, instead of saying, “Deme una limonada por favor” (Give me a lemonade please), you would tell your waiter, “Regáleme una limonada.” Although it sounds strange, this is completely normal in Costa Rica and would be understood perfectly. Using regalar in such a way isn’t limited to ordering food either, it can be substituted in many other situations as well. Here are some other ways in which regalar can be used.

Me regala su dirección? (Can you give me your address?)
Regáleme su número de identificación por favor. (Please give me your ID number.)
Regáleme la cuenta por favor. (Bring me the check please.)

2. When in doubt, use usted
Language students will already know that there is more than one way to say “you” in Spanish. In fact there are three: usted, tú and vos. Usted is used in formal situations while tú and vos are usually reserved for conversations between friends and family.

But in Costa Rica things are a little different. Here, usted is the dominant second person pronoun and is used in almost every situation – between friends and family, with children, babies and even pets! I was baffled when I first heard my homestay family ask their dog, “Tiene hambre usted?”

So if you’re not sure which form is appropriate, stick with usted. It works in all situations and will always be respectful and acceptable.

3. Forget about tú; Costa Ricans use vos
While usted can always be used, Ticos almost never use tú, and when spoken between locals it can sound downright strange. Instead of tú, Costa Ricans favor the informal vos. Most students aren’t very familiar with vos, but it is similar to tú and widely used in many countries including El Salvador, Nicaragua, Paraguay, Uruguay and Argentina. Conjugations using vos are a bit different but can be easily learned and understood. With a little practice you can add vos to your own arsenal.

Of course it’s not always easy switching between formal and informal on the fly, but don’t fret. It’s perfectly safe and acceptable for foreigners to speak using only tú (or any other form with which you are comfortable).

4. ¡Pura Vida!
If you remember just one Spanish phrase from your Costa Rica trip it will undoubtedly be “Pura Vida”. The expression is unique to the country and is one you will hear daily and in many different situations. Translated literally it means “Pure Life“, but Costa Ricans use it broadly to convey a favorable sentiment or to respond positively to a variety of questions. Here are some common uses.

Como estás? (How are you?) Pura vida! (I’m great/doing well/feeling good!)
Nos vemos en el cine. (I’ll see you at the movies.) Pura vida. (Cool/ok.)
Ese mae es muy pura vida. (That guy is really cool/down to earth/a good person/friendly.)
Get used to saying “Pura Vida”, it will be an essential part of your Costa Rican vocabulary.

5. Referring to an adult as muchacho or muchacha
Muchacho/a means “boy” or “girl” and is a word you would normally use to refer to a child or someone younger than yourself. This is why I found it very hard to summon adult waiters, much older than me, by addressing them as if they were young children.

But as it turns out, this is not considered disrespectful in the least and is the preferred way to address workers in the service industry, employees in shops, etc. So don’t be afraid to grab a waiter’s attention by calling out, “muchacho!”. Of course this doesn’t work so well the other way around, as a Costa Rican friend of mine visiting the US quickly found out!
December 25th, 2016 at 5:17:48 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Another one is Costa Ricans never say "de nada." It was usually "con mucho gusto." It got to the point that if somebody just said "con gusto," I was a little offended, like they resented being asked.
December 25th, 2016 at 7:20:11 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Another one is Costa Ricans never say "de nada." It was usually "con mucho gusto."

I suppose the rule of thumb is that the purer the Latin American country is with Europeans, the more likely they are to use "proper" Spanish. Costa Rica has possibly the lowest population of indigenous people in Latin America (at 1%). Argentina is about 1.4% indigenous with another 1% who recognize indigenous ancestors.

Nicaragua is 5%. Peru is 45%. Mexico is about 10%-30% from different sources, by roughly 60% is Mestizo. I think in Mexico the indigenous languages had a stronger influence than may be indicated by the percentage because the historical population was so large and powerful.
December 25th, 2016 at 10:15:31 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
To continue our study of owls, consider this sign:

Here is yet two more terms for types of owls. I had never heard either term before.

It makes me wonder if owls are indigenous to Latin America, so the there were already many different terms for the different varieties. However, maybe in Great Britain there were not so many kinds so people just referred to them collectively as "owls."
December 26th, 2016 at 3:20:15 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Here is yet two more terms for types of owls. I had never heard either term before.

The word "owl" is based on an Old English word and is echomimetic (like "bow wow", "miaow", "squeak", "squeal", "screech" or "zap").

The word "sorococa" is in DRAE as a word from Honduras.
The word "estucurú" seems to be a native Costa Rican word. It may come from Mayan language.

I think that you may be mistaken in calling them "types" like in scientific classification, as they seem to be all different words of more ancient origin that come from different languages.
December 26th, 2016 at 5:54:48 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
My advice is not to obsess over trivial matters. Some animals go by different names for reasons trivial and obscure. and this is true in many languages.

Consider in English you don't eat cow or pig, but beef(*) or pork.

Or consider this:

Son: Dad, what do you call a male horse?
Dad: A colt
Son: And a female horse?
Dad: A mare
Son: And a baby horse?
Dad: A foal.
Son: And what horse is called "horse"?

(*) The explanation for this is that higher-class English people adopted the French terms for various meats after 1066, while keeping the English names for the animals. The rule of thumb is English for the beast and French for the feast.

This does have a few interesting consequences. For instance, the English "beefsteak" is "bifteck" in French and "bistec" in Spanish. No clue which came first and which language(s) adopted it. In any case, the cut of meat called "bistec" in Mexico is a thin slice of beef, like a milanesa.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER