Spanish Word of the Day

December 12th, 2012 at 9:18:32 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Feliz fiesta de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe!
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 12th, 2012 at 10:44:19 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Nareed
It's an idiom. DOn't look to the literal meaning.

What does the idiom mean?

Quote: FrGamble
Feliz fiesta de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe!

Dang! I didn't mention that to my housekeeper Lupe on her regular Tuesday visit. I just tortured her with trying to talk about Jerry Rivera in Spanish. Will it be too late this Tuesday to mention it? She was born on whatever day they celebrate the Virgin Guadalupe.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 13th, 2012 at 4:02:18 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Pacomartin
Quote: Wizard
Speaking of picar, what does it mean in this stanza:me pico mas y mas.
Colloquially in Mexico it can mean to fornicate, or "to get addicted, fascinated, enraptured". I assume that this last meaning is the one in the song.
December 13th, 2012 at 10:32:26 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Fecha: 12-13-12
Palabra: Maullar

Today's SWD means to meow. The word for a meow (noun) is miau.

I find it interesting how the animals make the same sound in every country, but the way it gets spelled to mimic how the animal sounds is different. For "meow" it is pretty similar. However, in English-speaking countries dogs say "woof," but in Spanish-speaking countries they say "guau." Don't ask me how to pronounce it.

Ejemplo time.

Era un noche oscura y tormentosa cuando un gato maulló. = It was a dark and stormy night when a cat meowed.
December 13th, 2012 at 10:40:15 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Catalan: “meu”
Chinese: “miao”
Cantonese: “mao”
Danish: “miav”
Dutch: “miauw”
English: “meow”
Finnish: “miau”
French: “miaou”
German: “Miau”
Greek: “naiou”
Hebrew: “Miau” and sometimes “Miya”
Hungarian: “miau”
Japanese: “nyan”, “nya”, “n’yao” or “myah”
Korean: “yaong” or “nyaong”
Norwegian: “mjau”
Portuguese: “miau”
Spanish: “miau”
Swedish: “mjau”

Que pasa raza?
December 14th, 2012 at 11:37:03 AM permalink
Pacomartin
For a non-native speaker. What verb tense is used in this mambo song?

Quien será la que me quiere a mi?
Quien será?, quien será?
Quien será la que me dé su amor?
Quien será?, quien será?

Yo no sé si la podré encontrar
Yo no sé, yo no sé
Yo no sé si volveré a querer
Yo no sé, yo no sé

He querido volver a vivir
La pasión y el calor de otro amor
de Otro amor que me hiciera sentir
Que me hiciera feliz como ayer lo fui

This cover is by Lisa Ono (July 29, 1962) Lisa Ono is one of the best Japanese interpreters of contemporary bossa nova.
December 15th, 2012 at 4:23:31 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin
For a non-native speaker. What verb tense is used in this mambo song?

The future.

Reminds me of the song Que Será, Será, which I think every Gingo knows means, roughly, "Whatever will be, will be."

Fecha: 12-15-12
Palabra: Embustear

Today's SWD means to lie. Just when I commit mentir to memory, I encounter this one. Did I ever mention my suggestion that synomyms should be banned?

The question for the adanced reader is pretty obvious -- what is the difference, if any, between mentir y embustear?

Ejemplo time.

No puedo embustear. Paco cortó el manzano. = I cannot tell a lie. Paco cut down the apple tree.
December 15th, 2012 at 11:51:47 PM permalink
Pacomartin
The question for the adanced reader is pretty obvious -- what is the difference, if any, between mentir y embustear?

Ejemplo time.
No puedo embustear. Paco cortó el manzano. = I cannot tell a lie. Paco cut down the apple tree.

Embustear (the verb) seems to be a rarely used word. It used more often as an adjective or a noun as a synonym for 'Mentiroso'.

The word mentir is a cognate of the word mente in Spanish (=mind) and mental in English. The word came into English by the standard means (via the Norman conquest). The semantic shift from 'mind' to 'lie' is that lying involves a shift of your mind (second thoughts) from truth to falsehood.

'Embustear' is broader than just lying. It can be a trickery, or chicanery, or a general falsehood. Etymology is unclear.
December 16th, 2012 at 11:41:42 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Fecha: 12-17-12
Palabra: Limosna

Today's SWD means charity. "What a minute Wiz, I thought the word for 'charity' was caridad!", you might be saying. Well, that too. Didn't I say something yesterday about banning synonyms?

I tend to think that cardidad is the softer term, implying caring and nice. While limosna is what you would give to somebody who was really down and out -- like without food or a place to live.

The question for the advanced readers is to find or refute a common root between limosna y limonada (lemonaid).

Ejemplo time.

Doy mi dinero a Limosna. Ella es una puta que vive allá. = I give my money to Charity. She is a hooker who lives over there.
December 17th, 2012 at 3:37:40 AM permalink
Pacomartin
The question for the advanced readers is to find or refute a common root between limosna y limonada (lemonaid).

I think 'Caridad' is the proper name equivalent to 'Charity'

The pronunciation of the word in Greek ἐλεήμων (eleēmōn) looks very similar to lemon, but the word lemon is of Arabic ليمون (laymūn) and ultimately Persian descent. There may be a relationship that I can't see.

I think the word limosna specifically refers to handouts that you give people in the street, where 'caridad' can have a more general meaning.