Airport reviews

October 21st, 2014 at 3:48:27 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: TheCesspit
In Portland... there's something to be highly recommended about a city that has mass transit for $2.50 from the airport into downtown.

The fact that San diego is only 1.5 miles from the trolley line to the airport always seemed ridiculous. The guys that built the cable liners at Excalibur-Mandalay Bay and at City Center have adopted their technology to go almost a mile for Toronto Airport. It's a shame they can do SAN airport.

October 21st, 2014 at 4:38:29 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: DRich
Most U.S. airlines allow you to bring food on the plane.

On domestic Interjet flights, before boarding there's an announcement barring food from the plane. Since most such flights I take are under 90 minutes, I don't mind.

On international flights, at least to and from Vegas, there's no such announcement. Still, for a 3-4 hour flight where only a small snack will be served, that's ok if you time your meals right. Typically I eat right before leaving Toluca. On the flight back I buy a yogurt in the gates area for the flight.

Quote:
The questionable part is if you can get it through security.

That's where I hear such things are stopped.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 21st, 2014 at 8:58:34 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: terapined
Vegas has Portland beat by 50 cents.
When I arrive in Vegas , I head downstairs to catch the Westcliffe Express bus to Downtown. 2 bucks. Don't even need a ticket, just 2 dollars which the machine on the bus accepts.

Portland's airport is probably further out than Vegas... and I gotta say I prefer the tram/light rail to the bus... no chance to check out the airport. Was there less than 15 minutes in the terminal, got straight on an earlier flight. Now chilling in Seattle, with a fantastic burrito and more free wifi.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
October 22nd, 2014 at 8:38:05 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
When I arrive in Vegas , I head downstairs to catch the Westcliffe Express bus to Downtown. 2 bucks. Don't even need a ticket, just 2 dollars which the machine on the bus accepts.

The Westcliffe Express bus is good because it drives on the freeway, and takes a lot less time than a normal bus.

The Portland system is 52 miles long, and the red line is 25.5 miles. The 5 mile extension from Gateway to the airport was built for $125 million and was slated to open the day before 9/11.

In europe there is almost always a rail link from the airport to the public transit. London extended their subway line to Heathrow in the mid 1970's. Las Vegas and San Diego are two good examples of airports that are less than 2 miles from the railed transit, but with no link.
October 22nd, 2014 at 9:07:32 AM permalink
Nareed

How's the bus fitted for luggage, if at all?

The shuttles out to Downtown and the Strip are ok, but I always worry on the way back that they'll be late.

On a related note, today a coworker lost a flight. His story is he arrived 30-35 minutes prior to boarding, without a pre-printed boarding pass, and was told the flight had already closed. So they couldn't issue him a boarding pass at the counter, thus he couldn't board. He hadn't even printed his boarding pass online. they told him if he had, then they could re-print his right there (odd).

Lesson: always print your boarding pass beforehand. And arrive at least an hour before boarding (not before departure, before boarding)
October 22nd, 2014 at 10:03:15 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Nareed

Lesson: always print your boarding pass beforehand. And arrive at least an hour before boarding (not before departure, before boarding)

I would have to quit flying if I needed to be there that early. My goal is to try to be at the gate 15 minutes before departure. I don't care if I am the last one getting on the plane. Of course I always have my boarding pass ahead of time. I don't fly as often as I used to but I would guess I have taken over 500 commercial flights in the last 15 years and was only late for one.

I have been recently getting to fly more on private jets. What a difference. I drive up, park in the hangar, get directly on the plane and we are lifting off within ten minutes. Completely hassle free.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 22nd, 2014 at 10:07:12 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Nareed
How's the bus fitted for luggage, if at all?

The shuttles out to Downtown and the Strip are ok, but I always worry on the way back that they'll be late.

On a related note, today a coworker lost a flight. His story is he arrived 30-35 minutes prior to boarding, without a pre-printed boarding pass, and was told the flight had already closed. So they couldn't issue him a boarding pass at the counter, thus he couldn't board. He hadn't even printed his boarding pass online. they told him if he had, then they could re-print his right there (odd).

The Westcliffe express allows luggage. There is a luggage rack in the bus.

The coworker should at the very least go online and check in whithin 24 hrs. Dont have to print but checking in helps.

The lost seat reminds of the celebrity WILL I AM. He tweeted recently and was furious at UA because he checked in late on an international flight and they allready gave his seat to someone else
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 22nd, 2014 at 11:43:01 AM permalink
Nareed
I would have to quit flying if I needed to be there that early. My goal is to try to be at the gate 15 minutes before departure.

Departure time, as posted, means when the plane will leave the gate. So while it seems safe to board 15 minutes prior to that, it's cutting it awful close. In any case I meant arriving at the airport 1 hour prior to boarding, with your boarding pass printed. In a big airport with a security choke point, that may be enough to allow you to board 15 minutes before the plane leaves the gate.

Quote:
I have been recently getting to fly more on private jets. What a difference. I drive up, park in the hangar, get directly on the plane and we are lifting off within ten minutes. Completely hassle free.

Especially if you depart from a GA terminal rather than a conventional airport.
October 22nd, 2014 at 12:12:19 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
That Toronto link (from Terminal 3 - 1 - Parking) is the crappiest and bumpiest monorail I've been on.
October 22nd, 2014 at 12:28:57 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

Renting cars is easier. I arrange alot of cars to be delivered to a private plane as long as I have a tail number.
Walk off the plane. rental car is right there :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"