Airport reviews

October 22nd, 2014 at 12:48:01 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Nareed

Especially if you depart from a GA terminal rather than a conventional airport.

One of the companies I do work for has its' own hanger at Mccarran airport in Las Vegas. You can just drive right into the hangar off a driveway on Las Vegas Blvd. assuming you have the access card. No hassles with parking or security checkpoints and no terminal to go through. Literally just park about 15 feet from the airplanes and get in.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 22nd, 2014 at 1:10:27 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: DRich
One of the companies I do work for has its' own hanger at Mccarran airport in Las Vegas. You can just drive right into the hangar off a driveway on Las Vegas Blvd. assuming you have the access card. No hassles with parking or security checkpoints and no terminal to go through. Literally just park about 15 feet from the airplanes and get in.

I believe it.

But then you have to wait your turn on the landing/take-off pattern to take off. And likely you need to set a firm departure time. GA terminals are often much less busy and one can take off at pretty much any time.

That's no small matter when you want to take off at a popular time. In commercial jets I've waited close to an hour after pushing off the gate for take off clearance.

Of course, at an airport with little commercial traffic, like Toluca or Cd. del Carmen, that wouldn't be a problem.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 22nd, 2014 at 3:53:24 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: DRich

Somebody is going to find a way to muck it up. They will use a leased plane to do some act of terror.
December 11th, 2014 at 7:28:49 AM permalink
Nareed
For my last trip I tried using the iphone's passbook app as a boarding pass.

It kind of worked.

To begin with Mexican airlines it only works with Aeromexico, which has a compatible phone app. But it does work.

First at Mex City's security, the scanner picked up the barcode image from the app and displayed my flight number and other data. Neat. For boarding I tried it again. the agent took the phone without hesitation, scanned the barcode, then told me to wait while she printed a boarding pass <sigh>.

So it's not worth the trouble. next time I'll just bring an online-printed-the-day-before boarding pass, like our cavemen ancestors did before 2013 ;)

I found Google Now far more useful. I've gotten over the whole spying thing. Anyway, besides reminding me of the flight, it also displays the weather at the destination, links to maps for directions to the airport, reminds me of hotel reservations, and once at the destination it shows some nearby places. IN the Nexus 7 tablet, but not on the iphone, the flight reminder card can link to Flight Stats to show whether the flight is on time.
December 12th, 2014 at 12:46:43 AM permalink
Pacomartin
For my last trip I tried using the iphone's passbook app as a boarding pass.

IBM's end of checkout lines commercial lines is now 8 years old.
December 14th, 2014 at 9:43:45 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
IBM's end of checkout lines commercial lines is now 8 years old.

I hear it will come right after the paperless office.
December 14th, 2014 at 5:47:40 PM permalink
Pacomartin
http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/ciudad-metropoli/2014/reactivan-lucha-en-atenco-contra-aeropuerto-1034993.html

What's up with the airport? I have heard of some small scale protests. Are they starting work?

MEX made the top 50 airports last year, so with the new airport it should make the top 25 within five years.

Pretty soon Mexico will look like the UK
December 15th, 2014 at 8:11:08 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
What's up with the airport? I have heard of some small scale protests. Are they starting work?

I've no idea. I haven't kept up with the news lately.
December 16th, 2014 at 8:13:29 AM permalink
Nareed
I had a thought.

Barcode reading scanners all work by shining a laser at the target and reading the reflection. This works also with QR codes and other types as well. When the codes are on paper. the process is easily understood.

But when the codes are an image on a smart phone, how does that work? The image on paper reflects light. The image on a phone emits light. Further the glass covering the phone also reflects light (look at it with the screen off). How, then, does the laser scanner get a reflection?
December 16th, 2014 at 3:06:34 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I had a thought.

Barcode reading scanners all work by shining a laser at the target and reading the reflection. This works also with QR codes and other types as well. When the codes are on paper. the process is easily understood.

But when the codes are an image on a smart phone, how does that work? The image on paper reflects light. The image on a phone emits light. Further the glass covering the phone also reflects light (look at it with the screen off). How, then, does the laser scanner get a reflection?

I believe LED scanners tend to work better with glass than the laser scanners.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.