Climate Change -- conspiracy theory or is it time we all drive a Prius?

May 12th, 2022 at 2:40:57 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: missedhervee
follow up: https://www.livescience.com/south-pole-coldest-winter-record

Yes, that is cetainly an anomoly...just like Portland hit 116 degrees last June (summer had barely begun), which beat the old record for highest temp ever in Portland by ten degrees.

Think of it...ten degrees higher than the prior all time record for any day of the year in Portland.

Temp in Pakistan hit 120 degrees already.

A simple illustration. Fill your bathtub with water and put a solid large block of ice at the opposite end. Measure how long you can stand it before it gets really cold.

Test 2. Take the same block of ice and chop it up. Put all the chopped ice in the bathtub and get in.

Which tub water was colder faster and which ice is melting faster. (both the same tub even though the ice is melting)

It just to show obvious shit isn't as obvious as people make things out to be.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 14th, 2022 at 3:45:17 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
anyone trotting out weather phenomenon as indication of climate change is just demonstrating they don't know the difference between anecdotal and real evidence. You would think that since it is possible to make the case either way with various weather events, people would just stop. Hey, I'm human, I noticed the Oregon heat wave and said 'wow'. That was after I noticed the Texas cold wave and said 'wow'

In our area people are wondering why this Spring has been so cold. If I was a journalist, I'd think about touting this as evidence of a new Ice Age on the way, but would have to dismiss that idea ... wouldn't make it into print, doesn't fit the favored narrative.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
May 14th, 2022 at 5:49:39 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: odiousgambit
anyone trotting out weather phenomenon as indication of climate change is just demonstrating they don't know the difference between anecdotal and real evidence. You would think that since it is possible to make the case either way with various weather events, people would just stop. Hey, I'm human, I noticed the Oregon heat wave and said 'wow'. That was after I noticed the Texas cold wave and said 'wow'

In our area people are wondering why this Spring has been so cold. If I was a journalist, I'd think about touting this as evidence of a new Ice Age on the way, but would have to dismiss that idea ... wouldn't make it into print, doesn't fit the favored narrative.

So, you want to kill all the news media always trying link some agenda to some event? That would be the left and the right.

I kinda see your point, but the number of eyeballs that read someone's personal battle with lung cancer, is going to be 1000 times what a scholarly article is going to produce. If you want to make sure even more of the public has no idea what's going on in the world we could do that.

Technically, they should mention that specific events aren't proof of anything. But not to mention it at all, seems neglectful until the science community reverses positions.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 14th, 2022 at 7:17:20 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: odiousgambit

We are having a warm spring here in south Florida. Temperatures 5 to 8 degrees above normal most of the spring. I don't know what the cause is and I don't care. It is wonderful to be warm.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
May 21st, 2022 at 8:12:43 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
Australian voters have delivered a sharp rebuke to the center-right government, ending nine years of conservative rule, in favor of the center-left opposition that promised stronger action on climate change.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/australian-voters-deliver-strong-message-on-climate-ending-conservative-government-s-9-year-rule/ar-AAXyPmO?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=4d9d7faa27ca41b9950583076e1759f5
May 21st, 2022 at 9:25:52 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: rxwine
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/australian-voters-deliver-strong-message-on-climate-ending-conservative-government-s-9-year-rule/ar-AAXyPmO?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=4d9d7faa27ca41b9950583076e1759f5

Australians were pretty upset about the lockdown, weren’t they? Though green stuff may have been part of the election, it looks like there was a lot of dissatisfaction with the incumbent government.

The “winning” party did not get enough seats to take total control without working with other factions.

The linked story is just a tad over slanted towards one issue.
May 21st, 2022 at 10:06:00 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: RonC
Australians were pretty upset about the lockdown, weren’t they? Though green stuff may have been part of the election, it looks like there was a lot of dissatisfaction with the incumbent government.

The “winning” party did not get enough seats to take total control without working with other factions.

The linked story is just a tad over slanted towards one issue.

If I remember correctly, the vast majority of the Australians live on the coast.
June 15th, 2022 at 4:20:01 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/14/us/texas-energy-record-solar-wind-climate/index.html
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 15th, 2022 at 6:07:11 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: terapined
https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/14/us/texas-energy-record-solar-wind-climate/index.html

Wind and solar are not reliable enough to depend on. They are doing a great job right now, but too high of wind and cloud cover take away from their reliability overall.

We embrace renewables here…we also know we need fossil fuels at least for the near future.

We need safe nuclear energy as one of the renewables. That one does not have the weather issues that wind and solar experience.
June 16th, 2022 at 4:47:59 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: RonC
We need safe nuclear energy as one of the renewables. That one does not have the weather issues that wind and solar experience.

In August 1920 during a massive multi-state western heatwave California instituted rolling blackouts after 6 PM, the first ones since ~2000 when the governor was voted out of office. The sun had gone down, but people went home and turned on their AC. The governor ordered the electric utilities to submit a report, which I assume must have included a child's book that showed that there was no more sun in the evening.

Traditional electric generation includes turbines operated by natural gas called "peakers". They are very expensive to run, but not nearly the economic cost of rolling blackouts and the resulting heat death toll. So you run the "peakers" at periods of peak demand.

Many people see the future need for "small modular reactors" (SMR) to supply a baseline of emission free electricity generation. Western United States has three operating nuclear power plants, one in California that will be shut down in 2025, one in Washington State, and the biggest one in the country 100 miles from the California border in Arizona. Although California organizations own a sizeable percentage of this plan, it will be illegal under California state law to use any nuclear generated electricity even if it is imported from another state.

The Russians have had tiny electricity generation reactors since the 1970s to power small communities or about 5000 people in Siberia. The concept is not new, but it has been very expensive in past decades.

The first US SMR plant will be built in Idaho at the naval base where they have built over 50 small reactors for submarines and ships over a period of decades.

The phrase “too cheap to meter” was used in a 1954 speech by the then-Chairman of the Atomic Energy Commission, Lewis L. Strauss. The occasion for the speech was the 20th anniversary of the National Association of Science Writers, held in New York City on September 16, 1954.