Climate Change -- conspiracy theory or is it time we all drive a Prius?

September 18th, 2022 at 2:56:14 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: DRich
Quote: rxwine
Term of the day: cryptic biodiversity

Never heard of it but I did write some software called Island Biogeography about 40 years ago.

The Endangered Species Act was passed in 1973. The Senate passed the bill unanimously while the House voted for it 390 to 12, and it was signed into law by Republican president Richard Nixon. Given the rapid loss of symbolic species such as the bald eagles, grizzly bears and American alligators, there were few people who objected to a bill that protected species from extinction. Almost immediately a controversy arose over cryptic biodiversity when the ESA-listed snail darter — a type of small stream fish — halted the completion of the Tellico Dam in Tennessee. This species of snail darter was morphologically similar to five other species of snail darter.
September 27th, 2022 at 4:26:57 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Been watching hurricane Ian
It's heading right for my old neighborhood Tampa
Tampa hasn't been hit for over 100 years
This may be a major disaster
Pinellas County may be under water
The area is filled with mobile homes
Currently in South Carolina so I should be fine
Good luck Drich
One of the reasons I sold my home in FL was the hurricane threat and the rising cost of insurance
No doubt insurance rates will go up after this disaster
Hopefully nothing like the historic Andrew which cut a devastating swath through FL
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 27th, 2022 at 10:30:21 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
I thought there was a season not too long ago where a couple hurricanes hit or came close to Tampa?

I recall wondering if John Patrick weathered the storm.
October 2nd, 2022 at 9:20:03 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
. Anthony Grande moved away from Fort Myers three years ago in large part because of the hurricane risk. He has lived in southwest Florida for nearly 19 years, had experienced Hurricanes Charley in 2004 and Irma in 2017 and saw what stronger storms could do to the coast.

What he found was Babcock Ranch — only 12 miles northeast of Fort Myers, yet seemingly light years away.
Babcock Ranch calls itself "America's first solar-powered town." Its nearby solar array — made up of 700,000 individual panels — generates more electricity than the 2,000-home neighborhood uses, in a state where most electricity is generated by burning natural gas, a planet-warming fossil fuel.

The streets in this meticulously planned neighborhood were designed to flood so houses don't. Native landscaping along roads helps control storm water. Power and internet lines are buried to avoid wind damage. This is all in addition to being built to Florida's robust building codes.

Some residents, like Grande, installed more solar panels on their roofs and added battery systems as an extra layer of protection from power outages. Many drive electric vehicles, taking full advantage of solar energy in the Sunshine State.

Climate resiliency was built into the fabric of the town with stronger storms in mind.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 2nd, 2022 at 9:22:57 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
. Anthony Grande moved away from Fort Myers three years ago in large part because of the hurricane risk. He has lived in southwest Florida for nearly 19 years, had experienced Hurricanes Charley in 2004 and Irma in 2017 and saw what stronger storms could do to the coast.

What he found was Babcock Ranch — only 12 miles northeast of Fort Myers, yet seemingly light years away.
Babcock Ranch calls itself "America's first solar-powered town." Its nearby solar array — made up of 700,000 individual panels — generates more electricity than the 2,000-home neighborhood uses, in a state where most electricity is generated by burning natural gas, a planet-warming fossil fuel.

The streets in this meticulously planned neighborhood were designed to flood so houses don't. Native landscaping along roads helps control storm water. Power and internet lines are buried to avoid wind damage. This is all in addition to being built to Florida's robust building codes.

Some residents, like Grande, installed more solar panels on their roofs and added battery systems as an extra layer of protection from power outages. Many drive electric vehicles, taking full advantage of solar energy in the Sunshine State.

Climate resiliency was built into the fabric of the town with stronger storms in mind.

Quote:
The storm uprooted trees and tore shingles from roofs, but other than that Grande said there is no major damage. Its residents say Babcock Ranch is proof that an eco-conscious and solar-powered town can withstand the wrath of a near-Category 5 storm.

"We have proof of the case now because [the hurricane] came right over us," Nancy Chorpenning, a 68-year-old Babcock Ranch resident, told CNN. "We have water, electricity, internet — and we may be the only people in Southwest Florida who are that fortunate."
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 24th, 2022 at 7:59:51 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
The sun is what warms Earth in general providing about 1,361 watts per meter squared of heat, year in year out. That’s the baseline, the delicate balance that makes Earth livable. Changes in energy coming from the sun have been minimal, about one-tenth of a watt per meter squared, scientists calculate.

But carbon dioxide from the burning of fossil fuels is now trapping heat to the level of 2.07 watts per meter squared, more than 20 times that of the changes in the sun, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Methane, another powerful heat-trapping gas, is at 0.5 watts per meter square.

The sun’s 11-year cycle goes through regular but small ups and downs, but that doesn’t seem to change Earth’s temperature. And if anything the ever so slight changes in 11-year-average solar irradiance have been shifting downward, according to NASA calculations, with the space agency concluding “it is therefore extremely unlikely that the Sun has caused the observed global temperature warming trend over the past century.”

The other natural suspects — volcanoes and cosmic rays — had even less influence during the last 150 years of warming, scientists conclude.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/climate-questions-how-do-we-know-humans-triggered-warming/ar-AA13jBN0?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=dbb1858c1bdb47fba5541f571ef502d0
November 18th, 2022 at 8:54:30 PM permalink
Pacomartin
The new generation of Prius is radically improved. No word on pricing until next year,

Instead of a green alternative to a Corolla, it is now a green alternative to a Camry.
November 19th, 2022 at 3:04:22 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Pacomartin
The new generation of Prius is radically improved. No word on pricing until next year,

Instead of a green alternative to a Corolla, it is now a green alternative to a Camry.

Better green car here

The President is a fink.
November 21st, 2022 at 4:49:18 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: AZDuffman
Better green car here

That is a beauty.

Quote: Motor Trend

The '90 Mustang Limited Edition convertibles are called "7-Up cars" today because the program came out of 7-Up's canceled Mustang give-away contest
Ford planned to build 5,000 Limited Edition convertibles for '90; only 4,103 were produced
All Limited Edition convertibles were LX models with 5.0L engine, Emerald Green Clearcoat Metallic paint, white leather interior, white top, handling suspension, and power accessories
1,360 came with the five-speed manual; 2,743 had automatic overdrive
261 were exported
201 have been documented by the 1990 Limited Edition Mustang Convertible Registry
November 21st, 2022 at 3:26:02 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Pacomartin
That is a beauty.

I remember seeing one at the mall on display and was "WOW!" Of course my buddies hated it because it was not red or black. If I make my millions I might make one of those Dynacorn 66 body convertibles but painted that color.
The President is a fink.