Climate Change -- conspiracy theory or is it time we all drive a Prius?

September 4th, 2022 at 6:49:19 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: rxwine
Scientists are well aware of normal erosion. What they've measured is accelerating erosion.

Data?
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
September 4th, 2022 at 6:55:07 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: kenarman
Data?

Different island data. But it's the first I came across.

Tracking erosion in the Magdalen Islands

Quote:
Researchers from Université du Québec à Rimouski have been monitoring erosion on the islands for decades. In one study, they estimated that from 1963 to 2008, the shoreline of the islands naturally eroded an average of 24 centimetres per year.

However, more recent UQAR studies have found that amount has doubled since 2005, with erosion amounting to about 46 centimetres — or half a metre — per year.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 4th, 2022 at 7:10:02 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Different island data. But it's the first I came across.

Tracking erosion in the Magdalen Islands

So erosion, nothing about sea level increase. You do realize that the Magdalen Islands are in the Gulf of St. Lawrence and surrounded by mainland Canada. No indication of sea rise on the mainland.

The position of the islands in the center of the Gulf means they get significant tidal current which accents the erosion.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
September 4th, 2022 at 7:20:49 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: kenarman
So erosion, nothing about sea level increase. You do realize that the Magdalen Islands are in the Gulf of St. Lawrence and surrounded by mainland Canada. No indication of sea rise on the mainland.

The position of the islands in the center of the Gulf means they get significant tidal current which accents the erosion.

I looked at it on Google Maps. Sure doesn't look landlocked from the N. Atlantic from high altitude.

I'll say this though. Erosion studies are complex especially when you factor other manmade interventions, dams, widening rivers, dredging etc., I think isolated islands where no one lives are probably the least complex. So, in general I don't think it is much of a readymade data point for proving one cause or another anyway.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 5th, 2022 at 2:47:09 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
If I wanted to tout climate change evidence to the general public, I wouldn't cite sea level rise, I'd pick something else

Climate change is going on, it's a natural process that we may be augmenting. We can study that, we need to. If we can quit using so much fossil fuel, that would be progress in more ways than one ... it's dirty, to put it plainly. What we don't need to do is panic.

Or have bad policy ... as has happened in much of Europe and Sri Lanka. Yet we still have this administration trying to copy these same mismanaged places instead of taking warning.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
September 5th, 2022 at 2:00:22 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Scientists are well aware of normal erosion. What they've measured is accelerating erosion.

And how do they do that when they have no basis for measurement over more than an insignificant amount of time?
The President is a fink.
September 6th, 2022 at 4:10:40 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: CNN
'Doomsday glacier,' which could raise sea level by several feet, is holding on 'by its fingernails,' scientists say

By Angela Fritz, CNN
this is the headline, which to be fair, was unlikely to have been written by Fritz. Headlines are generally written by other people and have frustrated article writers for centuries perhaps.

You can read the article and discover "the scientists" have said no such thing. https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/05/world/thwaites-doomsday-glacier-sea-level-climate/index.html

The headline writer instead probably was listening to Bill Nye. I have to say Nye pretty much heads the list for me of despicable journalists producing complete hyperbole when it comes to, well, about anything to do with science.

I am willing to be the farm that if that glacier lets go it will be to minimal immediate effect, if measurably at all. I don't dispute that if the ice of Antartica even melts partially that will be measurable. But this is not going to be what happens, as the Fritz article indicates. Mr. Nye, though, the 'science guy', wants us all to panic.

I had to find the video at youtube, the linked video didnt work for me
September 6th, 2022 at 4:14:22 AM permalink
odiousgambit
just who are you in bed with, CNN?

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/bill-nye-does-not-speak-for-us-and-he-does-not-speak-for-science/

https://www.acsh.org/news/2019/05/13/bill-nye-terrible-spokesman-science-14021

there's more of these

Nye probably went through college without taking any science courses at all. Few journalists do.
September 6th, 2022 at 6:36:45 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: odiousgambit

Nye probably went through college without taking any science courses at all. Few journalists do.

I would doubt that since he has a degree in Mechanical engineering, and studied aerospace engineering, and worked at Boeing as an engineer.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 6th, 2022 at 7:01:44 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: DRich
I would doubt that since he has a degree in Mechanical engineering, and studied aerospace engineering, and worked at Boeing as an engineer.
Settles that. So now I have to wonder how it all went to nought! JK