Climate Change -- conspiracy theory or is it time we all drive a Prius?

September 6th, 2022 at 8:23:24 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Now this is how to properly sensationalize a news story.

Chimpanzee Escapes Zoo, Returns via Bicycle Wearing Rain Coat

All true, but not exactly as it might seem

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/news/chimpanzee-escapes-zoo-returns-via-bicycle-wearing-rain-coat-videos/ar-AA11wz4a?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=345e66a50f4e4d83a7b15234ce347c73
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 6th, 2022 at 11:09:25 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: terapined
The Nobel winner won his medal in a completely different field not even remotely connected to climate science.

Ivar Giaever (Born April 5, 1929 (age 93)) has been expressing his skepticism of global warming for decades, calling it a "new religion."

The work that led to Giaever's Nobel Prize was performed at General Electric in 1960 regarding. Followi electron tunnelling in semiconductors. Giaever's research later in his career was mainly in the field of biophysics. In 1969, he researched biophysics for a year as a fellow at Clare Hall, University of Cambridge, through a Guggenheim Fellowship, and he continued to work in this area after he returned to the US.
September 6th, 2022 at 3:27:25 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
I think lots of the western US about to shatter their all time highs this week. By a lot!

70 and rainy here…. Send me some of that dry heat!
September 8th, 2022 at 8:04:43 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
This year, scientists revealed that two-thirds of the Great Barrier Reef shows the highest coral cover seen since records began in 1985. The good-news report got a fraction of the attention that the 'death' of the reef got.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
September 11th, 2022 at 10:41:09 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I suppose everybody reacts differently according to their preformed beliefs, which cannot be challenged, of course. But I see evidence fairly regularly that "Science" is being corrupted by faith. Faith in global warming theories, that is. The new religion for so many. Of course, money gets involved too.

Another person will look at this and say, "no, you, sir, are hereby providing evidence that people are going to ignore Science. I see no signs of corruption!"

But I came across this article which I started reading for a different reason and soon enough realized "uh oh these people are going to try to link the worst extinction event ever found to the current climate change situation ... i.e. the Permian–Triassic extinction event. "Umm, no, surely not. They won't will they? " Oh yes they will, here it is

Quote: link
The situation in the late Permian — increasing greenhouse gases in the atmosphere that create warmer temperatures on Earth — is similar to today.

"Under a business-as-usual emissions scenarios, by 2100 warming in the upper ocean will have approached 20 percent of warming in the late Permian, and by the year 2300 it will reach between 35 and 50 percent," Penn said. "This study highlights the potential for a mass extinction arising from a similar mechanism under anthropogenic climate change."

https://earth.stanford.edu/news/what-caused-earths-biggest-mass-extinction#gs.c0x4we
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
September 11th, 2022 at 12:40:12 PM permalink
rxwine
If you don’t believe science should make predictions on current theory, then you need to address all sciences. There some in every science doing that.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 11th, 2022 at 1:57:14 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Scientists are really good at measurements and collecting data generally, and can sometimes amaze, like collecting data on planets 100 light years away or whatever it is. They aren't good at making predictions, and they suck at politics
September 11th, 2022 at 4:06:16 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: odiousgambit
But I came across this article which I started reading for a different reason and soon enough realized "uh oh these people are going to try to link the worst extinction event ever found to the current climate change situation ... i.e. the Permian–Triassic extinction event. "

It has long been theorized that the mass extinction in the P-T exinction event was linked to massive carbon dioxide emissions which raised global temperatures, but in the case of the P-T extinction the cause was massive volcanic eruptions in pesent day Russia over a 2 milliion year period.

I don't think that the concept that enough carbon dioxide will raise global temperatures is a matter of scientific question.

The question is can human activity creae this effect in a matter of centuries vs 2 million years of extensive volcanic activity.
September 11th, 2022 at 4:26:07 PM permalink
rxwine
You don’t necessarily need all human causes. You just need a perfect storm event.

“A perfect storm is a meteorological event aggravated by a rare combination of circumstances.” Where human causes play a part.
September 17th, 2022 at 3:47:52 AM permalink
odiousgambit
The whole video is good, but might threaten some preconceived notions ... so to avoid knots in panties, perhaps some here should not see it... however, I invite you to at least check in on some sea level changes you might not have heard about

I've set the YouTube video to start at the right time

https://youtu.be/jgivtoYVdNs?t=831