Climate Change -- conspiracy theory or is it time we all drive a Prius?

January 23rd, 2020 at 11:36:57 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I can find some fault with this video at places, but I think it does make some good points. I still maintain the attack on livestock as important for stopping climate change to be ridiculous on the face of it, and at least there should be a pretty high bar to clear scientifically before we just assume we can ditch the whole industry.

If you want to skip some of the emotional appeal start at 2:21

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 23rd, 2020 at 11:59:56 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: odiousgambit
I still maintain the attack on livestock as important for stopping climate change to be ridiculous

There were 75 million buffalo in this
country, they covered 4 states
in crap and farts. The climate
was doing just fine.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 23rd, 2020 at 12:44:45 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Evenbob
There were 75 million buffalo in this
country, they covered 4 states
in crap and farts. The climate
was doing just fine.

There's around 100 million cows, and cows produce more methane than buffalo. A cow can produce almost 40 percent more than buffalo in some cases. Wild buffalo are just leaner than a fat cow. And the cows digestive system is more inefficient even with the same consumption level.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 23rd, 2020 at 1:01:43 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
There's around 100 million cows, and cows produce more methane than buffalo.

Wow, you convinced me. I'm cutting
me beef back to only 3 times a week.
Save this planet! snicker...
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 23rd, 2020 at 1:10:57 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
There's around 100 million cows, and cows produce more methane than buffalo. A cow can produce almost 40 percent more than buffalo in some cases. Wild buffalo are just leaner than a fat cow. And the cows digestive system is more inefficient even with the same consumption level.

And a bison goes for 15-20yrs. Save the breeders, beef cows go every 5. That's 4 cows per one bison lifetime. Not to mention the barn. The heat. The irrigation. Feed planting, cultivation, harvesting and baling. Storing. Antibiotics. Transport. Medical treatment. Trucks. Trailers. Tractors. And an army of 800,000 people commuting to work it all.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 23rd, 2020 at 3:30:46 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Soon it won't be an issue, because meat alternative are getting so on point that it will be cheaper, healthier, and better for the planet to eat meat alternatives. Beef production will probably drastically decrease over the next several decades...
January 23rd, 2020 at 4:50:28 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler
Soon it won't be an issue, because meat alternative are getting so on point that it will be cheaper, healthier, and better for the planet to eat meat alternatives. Beef production will probably drastically decrease over the next several decades...

Not sure how faked meat is supposed to be better for you than the real thing. As I say, Beyond Meat is nothing special. They turn plants into beef. I'll let cows do that.
The President is a fink.
January 23rd, 2020 at 6:18:37 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: AZDuffman
Not sure how faked meat is supposed to be better for you than the real thing. As I say, Beyond Meat is nothing special. They turn plants into beef. I'll let cows do that.

I'm not completely sold on genetically modified food, even though we've been genetically modifying plants in old fashioned ways for a long time.

But that's mainly because food is something we take internally.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 24th, 2020 at 8:52:11 AM permalink
odiousgambit
There's around 100 million cows, and cows produce more methane than buffalo.
Really?

Quote: Face
And a bison goes for 15-20yrs. Save the breeders, beef cows go every 5. That's 4 cows per one bison lifetime.
I have to think this is all immaterial

Quote:
Not to mention the barn. The heat. The irrigation. Feed planting, cultivation, harvesting and baling. Storing. Antibiotics. Transport. Medical treatment. Trucks. Trailers. Tractors. And an army of 800,000 people commuting to work it all.
I 100% agree this is relevant stuff the video overlooks. But I still need convincing - so did that study the video cites

Quote: AZDuffman
Maybe it'll take decades for them to really admit it, but I bet eventually they'll concede fake meat is actually worse for the environment. OH! I know when they'll start saying that! When our overlords of the future decide it's time to now force everybody to become a vegan!
January 26th, 2020 at 6:20:07 AM permalink
odiousgambit
I don't know why you alarmists* and fellow-travelers are putting up a fight anyway - we only had 3 years to fix this in 2017 and we haven't done squat - so throw in the towel! 

https://weather.com/science/environment/news/climate-change-experts-3-years-global-warming

I am just now catching up with the current Weather Channel propaganda, having gotten disgusted with it years ago. They are really going into high gear now - there is supposed to be a new 'race to save the planet' special upcoming, and I saw a commercial for it - they gave it a subtitle that included the words "environmental justice". Wow is that scary. 

I can't seem to find when this is going to air, but lest I be accused of only tuning in to what I agree with, I'll watch it.

*I've discovered the first rule of climate change discussion is to go heavy on name-calling [both sides guilty]. Why should I be any different? Actually, I apologize, but ask for a little license in order to make it a better wisecrack