Climate Change -- conspiracy theory or is it time we all drive a Prius?

March 12th, 2021 at 10:56:53 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: AZDuffman
Quote: JimRockford
The NYTarticle from 1995 is in anticipation of the IPCC assessment of that year and reports on the contents of some draft sections. The reporter also says:
Quote:
At the most likely rate of rise, some experts say, most of the beaches on the East Coast of the United States would be gone in 25 years.

The above quote has nothing to do with the report and is not attributed to any scientist. The IPCC assessment of 1995 predicts sea level rise of 13 to 95 cm by 2100 with the most likely rise of 50 cm. We still have 80 years to go. It makes no prediction of sea level rise in 2020.

Refuting a reporter hyperventilating about beach destruction 25 years ago is not the same as refuting climate science.

Except that we keep hearing the same hyperventilating from the climate change believers time and time again.

That's a fair point, but you have to consider the source (or reporter's lack of source). It's common for non-believers to shoot down BS from people who don't know what they're talking about. People used to laugh about Ted Danson's predictions. As if it mattered.

The actual climate models are getting better and more sophisticated, but even the early models were pretty accurate.
https://www.carbonbrief.org/analysis-how-well-have-climate-models-projected-global-warming
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
March 12th, 2021 at 11:13:20 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
This was shown on ABC's Good Morning America in 2008, with Bob Woodruff hyping the ABC special 'Earth 2100'.

They predicted, by 2015, most of NYC would be under water, gasoline would cost $9 per gallon, and a gallon of milk would cost $12.99.

Fortunately, Obama arrived just in time and saved the planet.

March 12th, 2021 at 11:28:24 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
That's a good example of what I am talking about. It's not science. Hell, it's not even journalism. Science fiction on a TV morning show is not a climate model.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
March 12th, 2021 at 11:37:12 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Tanko
This was shown on ABC's Good Morning America in 2008, with Bob Woodruff hyping the ABC special 'Earth 2100'.

Is Bob Woodruff a scientist??????????????????
ROTFL
Good Morning America is a TV show
Its not science, its entertainment
Its the boob tube. Its Mental masturbation
It has nothing to do with science
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 12th, 2021 at 11:43:58 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
well let's all make sure we aren't making decisions like about who to vote for, based on listening to reporters AND activists, or Ocasio-Cortez starts to sound good
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 12th, 2021 at 11:53:44 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: odiousgambit
well let's all make sure we aren't making decisions like about who to vote for, based on listening to reporters AND activists, or Ocasio-Cortez starts to sound good

??????????
The smart logical people listen to all views
I'll listen to media regarding science but it does not equal listening to scientists.
Common sense is to weigh what you hear according to the source
Media on health is a weak source
New England Journal of Medicine an excellent source on health
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 12th, 2021 at 5:20:13 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

That's a good example of what I am talking about. It's not science. Hell, it's not even journalism. Science fiction on a TV morning show is not a climate model.

What was that silly sci-fi global warming movie about 2004? I remember a woman I knew at the time actually believed it was a prediction not a sci-fi. She sent out an email to all her friends scared for the future. How many other sheep like that out there?
The President is a fink.
March 12th, 2021 at 7:53:18 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
climate science.

ox·y·mo·ron
noun
a figure of speech in which contradictory terms appear in conjunction

There is climate and there is
science, the two cannot be
connected.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 17th, 2021 at 11:35:57 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
An argument I hadn't heard before. Nuclear becoming too expensive compared to other options.

https://www.dw.com/en/nuclear-climate-mycle-schneider-renewables-fukushima/a-56712368
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 18th, 2021 at 4:56:18 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
The expense of nuclear power has been a problem for a long time.

Subsidizing it to get a safe power source and zero carbon emissions makes sense though, especially if it is true that if we quit making each new plant 'custom' the cost can be lowered to something competitive.

Each point made, someone can counter I assure you. I've been listening to that side of the argument recently quite a bit; good to see the other side.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]