In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

January 8th, 2020 at 8:53:32 AM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
Quote: AZDuffman
It got to the point that a member called other members “pedophiles” and little was done.
+1,000

Yep, and that guy made the accusation not once but TWICE. 🙄
January 8th, 2020 at 8:55:40 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Mission146
Why is breaking the Forum Rule on Personal Insult a mic drop? The only reason I don’t do anything is because I feel like I’m only technically a moderator here because:

1. I was a WoV Mod when this was started and was, therefore, made a mod here.

2. I am not a WoV Mod at this time.

3. I don’t post here often, haven’t posted here for months until a couple weeks ago and am liable to disappear for months again at any given time.

I like my green name, though, and would moderate here, if asked to be active on that front. This Forum isn’t too busy that it would be particularly onerous.

It's a mic drop, it is responding with links to CNN after a certain member stated that CNN had zero coverage on it... It's hardly an insult... That member routinely posts intentionally offensive things...
January 8th, 2020 at 9:10:17 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Gandler
It's a mic drop, it is responding with links to CNN after a certain member stated that CNN had zero coverage on it...

Correct.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 8th, 2020 at 9:16:47 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Am I the only one that wants another war similar to the first Iraqi war? I generally don't watch television news, but during the wars we get all sorts of good footage of missles and laser bombs. I am really curious what new toys our military has. I was fascinated by the stealth fighter when they released the information about it in the first Iraq war.

Just think of all of the new cool stuff we probably have now. I want to see what we have been spending all of this military budget on.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 8th, 2020 at 9:19:54 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Gandler
It's a mic drop, it is responding with links to CNN after a certain member stated that CNN had zero coverage on it... It's hardly an insult... That member routinely posts intentionally offensive things...

So, this that was said:

Quote:
There's not a single independent thought in you.

Is what? An objective observation? Because someone was wrong about one specific thing (CNN coverage) and because one repeated that because one was told that means that the person is incapable of a single independent thought?

I fail to see how the above attacks the writing, and not the writer, when it speaks only to the writer.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 8th, 2020 at 9:58:58 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
So, this that was said:

Is what? An objective observation? Because someone was wrong about one specific thing (CNN coverage) and because one repeated that because one was told that means that the person is incapable of a single independent thought?

I fail to see how the above attacks the writing, and not the writer, when it speaks only to the writer.

Of course that is an insult directed at the person 'incapable of a single independent thought'. But sort of like pass interference, every technical offense does not need refereeing. I was surprised to see that you are green here, by the way. I hope you do opt to moderate here, and do remember that this place is where the controversial issues are supposed to be discussed.
January 8th, 2020 at 10:13:00 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: SOOPOO
Of course that is an insult directed at the person 'incapable of a single independent thought'. But sort of like pass interference, every technical offense does not need refereeing. I was surprised to see that you are green here, by the way. I hope you do opt to moderate here, and do remember that this place is where the controversial issues are supposed to be discussed.

If pass interference takes place, then pass interference should be called and penalized. This being a different game, I would be inclined to call fewer penalties and penalize still fewer than that. In terms of actual bans in the political threads when I moderated WoV, I typically, not always did not issue a ban unless someone PM'ed a complaint to me AND I felt that a rule had been broken. If no rule had been broken (in my view) I would ask the person who sent the PM to please try to only PM me if something comes closer than x thing to actually breaking a rule.

That said, saying someone does not have a single independent thought is not going to help in understanding what someone thinks, or why they might think that way. Secondly, it's incredibly dismissive. Thirdly and finally, the same claim (which would still be equally insulting and unverifiable) can be lobbied back at the speaker.

And so we ask ourselves, do we want threads that discuss ideas? Or, would we prefer threads that amount to, "Democrats suck," "No, Republicans suck." I am neither a Democrat nor a Republican. A Conservative nor a Liberal. A strict Leftist nor a strict Rightist...so any such conversation along those lines would not apply to me at all, and by extension, be of no interest to me whatsoever.

I've always been green here, actually.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 8th, 2020 at 10:29:00 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
If pass interference takes place, then pass interference should be called and penalized. This being a different game, I would be inclined to call fewer penalties and penalize still fewer than that. In terms of actual bans in the political threads when I moderated WoV, I typically, not always did not issue a ban unless someone PM'ed a complaint to me AND I felt that a rule had been broken. If no rule had been broken (in my view) I would ask the person who sent the PM to please try to only PM me if something comes closer than x thing to actually breaking a rule.

That said, saying someone does not have a single independent thought is not going to help in understanding what someone thinks, or why they might think that way. Secondly, it's incredibly dismissive. Thirdly and finally, the same claim (which would still be equally insulting and unverifiable) can be lobbied back at the speaker.

And so we ask ourselves, do we want threads that discuss ideas? Or, would we prefer threads that amount to, "Democrats suck," "No, Republicans suck." I am neither a Democrat nor a Republican. A Conservative nor a Liberal. A strict Leftist nor a strict Rightist...so any such conversation along those lines would not apply to me at all, and by extension, be of no interest to me whatsoever.

I've always been green here, actually.

January 8th, 2020 at 10:48:20 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/us-military-contractor-whose-death-lead-soleimani-strike-finally-identified

"Hamid became a naturalized US citizen in 2017 after he and his family first came to the United States in 2011. He was laid to rest at the Greater Sacramento Muslim Cemetery in a service paid for by his company, Valiant. "

We have the potential for ww3 over the death of one Iraqi cum American, working in Iraq.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 8th, 2020 at 10:49:42 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: DRich
Am I the only one that wants another war similar to the first Iraqi war? I generally don't watch television news, but during the wars we get all sorts of good footage of missles and laser bombs. I am really curious what new toys our military has. I was fascinated by the stealth fighter when they released the information about it in the first Iraq war.

Just think of all of the new cool stuff we probably have now. I want to see what we have been spending all of this military budget on.

You got fooled. Most by far of what was dropped in the Gulf War was Vietnam surplus.
The President is a fink.