In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

May 19th, 2015 at 7:22:42 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Some criminals have ethic lines they won't cross, even when they'll do other criminal behavior. OTOH, not sure where ethics lies with people like this.

Quote:
Four organizations claiming to help cancer patients allegedly siphoned off more than $187 million to pay for lavish salaries, luxury vacations and other goods in what could be one of the largest cases of US charity fraud, authorities said Tuesday.

The US Federal Trade Commission and law enforcement officials from all 50 US states charged the organizations with being "sham charities" that stuffed the vast majority of donations in the pockets of directors, family, friends and fundraisers, according to documents filed in the southwest state of Arizona.

Quote:
It alleged that the donations were spent on cars, trips, luxury cruises, college tuition, gym memberships, jet ski outings, sporting event and concert tickets, and dating site memberships.

Professional fundraisers often received 85% or more of every donation, it added.

To hide the expenses and high salaries, the organizations inflated their revenue by reporting in-kind donations totaling more than $223 million made in other countries, but were in fact only pass-through agents for those goods.

Meanwhile only three percent of donations made it to cancer patients.

The organizations are the Cancer Fund of America (CFA), Cancer Support Services (CSS), the Children's Cancer Fund of America (CCFOA) and the Breast Cancer Society (BCS

http://www.thesundaily.my/news/1424221
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 19th, 2015 at 7:40:53 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quite common. I believe the courts have ruled that unpopular causes have a right to solicit and may not be hampered by constraints that might otherwise be applied to mainstream charities.
May 20th, 2015 at 2:30:28 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
Some criminals have ethic lines they won't cross, even when they'll do other criminal behavior. OTOH, not sure where ethics lies with people like this.

This is common. When you think about it 15% is kind of expected as that is a normal profit margin. Fundraising has lots of costs. It is a lucrative business. If you are a small charity you live with it as that is the price of doing what you do.
The President is a fink.
May 20th, 2015 at 9:43:06 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: AZDuffman
This is common. When you think about it 15% is kind of expected as that is a normal profit margin. Fundraising has lots of costs. It is a lucrative business. If you are a small charity you live with it as that is the price of doing what you do.

The article says only 3 percent of all the millions actually reached the people in need.

3 percent.

If 97 percent went to overhead and salaries, I'm pretty sure that is not efficient in any way.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 20th, 2015 at 10:44:38 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
The rumour going around about the Waco biker gangs shootout
All 9 bikers killed by the Police.
Wow.
Just a rumour.
Hope its not true.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 20th, 2015 at 11:02:51 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: terapined
Wow.
Just a rumour.
Hope its not true.

#BikerLivesMatter
The President is a fink.
May 21st, 2015 at 12:07:31 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: terapined
Wow.
Just a rumour.
Hope its not true.

I haven't followed this story, but it occurred to me, has anybody burned the city down or retaliated against the police because of these guys deaths?

Where is Sharpton? Where are all the weeping mothers and family's?

Maybe in these guys cases, everybody just thought oh well, they had it coming?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/05/18/us-usa-texas-shooting-idUSKBN0O20VC20150518
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 21st, 2015 at 12:28:31 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: petroglyph
I haven't followed this story, but it occurred to me, has anybody burned the city down or retaliated against the police because of these guys deaths?

Where is Sharpton? Where are all the weeping mothers and family's?

Maybe in these guys cases, everybody just thought oh well, they had it coming?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/05/18/us-usa-texas-shooting-idUSKBN0O20VC20150518

Assuming the context of the story is correct a brawl with weapons was already underway.

What options do the police have? Simply ignore it is one. Probably not a generally accepted option for a possibly lethal situation even without the police interfering.

These ID'd groups don't like to look all that friendly.

http://www.bandidosmc.com/

Can't imagine, "knock it off" is going to do it.
May 22nd, 2015 at 5:32:21 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: petroglyph

I thought about burning things down. But I had to go to work then remembered if I destroy the grocery store I will have nowhere to shop next week.
The President is a fink.
May 22nd, 2015 at 8:19:22 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Love this Fark headline

Josh "The LGBT Community is a threat to children's safety" Duggar has confessed to molesting more than five girls and resigned from the Family Research Council. His parents knew for 12 years and covered it up

The story link
http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/21/us/josh-duggar-child-molestation-allegations/index.html
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"