In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

May 27th, 2015 at 10:19:58 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Missing Suntail Catamaran being short-crewed on a delivery run from South Africa to Thailand was subject aerial and satellite search months ago.

Inverted hull believed spotted six hundred miles from Madagascar or about sixteen hundred miles off course.

Its an unmarked hazard to navigation in a heavy shipping lane but owner hopes to plant radar reflector on wreck and search for logbooks.

Face: Go for it!! Without beast or being aboard, its up for grabs.
May 27th, 2015 at 12:11:06 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Fleastiff
Missing Suntail Catamaran being short-crewed on a delivery run from South Africa to Thailand was subject aerial and satellite search months ago.

Inverted hull believed spotted six hundred miles from Madagascar or about sixteen hundred miles off course.

Its an unmarked hazard to navigation in a heavy shipping lane but owner hopes to plant radar reflector on wreck and search for logbooks.

The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 27th, 2015 at 12:54:43 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: petroglyph

That looks like a Leopard. Nicest cat I've ever been in, and hoping the next BVI thread comes from inside one.

As for going and getting my own... it's in Madagascar. Even if I could get there, and then get out there, and then get it righted, and then get it working... I'd still be in Madagascar. And I don't have enough friends to man all the guns I would need to ever step foot into Africa.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
May 27th, 2015 at 4:42:50 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Yeah, its six hundred miles East of Madagascar and its been upside down for several months... care to venture an opinion on the salt water and electronics issues? Now THAT would be one heck of a DIY project.
May 27th, 2015 at 4:49:57 PM permalink
petroglyph
Yeah, its six hundred miles East of Madagascar and its been upside down for several months... care to venture an opinion on the salt water and electronics issues? Now THAT would be one heck of a DIY project.

They were probably right, it is a hazard to navigation.

Did they figure out how to stop those things from pitchpoling?

Do they still put escape hatches in the bottom of the hulls?
May 27th, 2015 at 5:10:44 PM permalink
Face

Easy.

Re-wire the engine. Put a cooler with beer inside. Change the sheets. Done =)
May 27th, 2015 at 5:22:25 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Face
Easy. Re-wire the engine. Put a cooler with beer inside. Change the sheets. Done =)
For You, Mayhem, The Fed and The Sheriff .... sure. But when you get tired of the beer, sunshine and fishing and want to go ashore and bring a Tourist Lady or two back with you.... having steam cleaned that mold and all the barnacles away will have been a necessary step.
May 27th, 2015 at 5:46:16 PM permalink
Face
But when you get tired of the beer, sunshine and fishing...

I'm done. It's over. Flea wins. Funniest post ever... XD

But really... it'd be a lot of money, but I fail to see the difficulty. It's just a fibreglass hull. Strip it and bleach it. After that, a lot of that stuff is simple replacements. There's no "beds" or "cabinetry", everything is a part of the hull. The beds are just mattresses in a shaped depression, cabinets are just a door over an open cubby. Provided the money, I could refurbish all four rooms, alone, within a day. Not including cleaning time, obviously, but once stripped and cleaned it's cake.

The galley would be the tough part, but do we really need teak decking and mahogany trim? No. The stove is just a stove, the fridge just a fridge, the gen just a gen. All the rest is just fancy stuff that fat old men use to get women too young for them. We'd give it the WarWagon treatment and be happier than pigs in s#$%. And if the ladies don't like it, they ain't the ladies for us =)
May 27th, 2015 at 7:33:37 PM permalink
Fleastiff
That is what hippies been doing for years. Buy an old fiberglass hulk, strip it and scrub it till you can't smell anything but Clorox, tinker with an engine relic a bit and sail to the Caribbean eventually winding up in some Central American haven where a Yankee Dollar goes a long way. Beats working at seven eleven.
May 27th, 2015 at 8:26:47 PM permalink
petroglyph
That is what hippies been doing for years. Buy an old fiberglass hulk, strip it and scrub it till you can't smell anything but Clorox, tinker with an engine relic a bit and sail to the Caribbean eventually winding up in some Central American haven where a Yankee Dollar goes a long way. Beats working at seven eleven.

I'm an old Uniflite man myself. Blister years were best. ; ) Love a hull that will take an o6 shell.

Not my photo's