In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

May 22nd, 2015 at 6:13:27 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Everyone is watching everyone else.

Quote:
A drug cartel in the northern state of Tamaulipas used at least 39 surveillance cameras to monitor the comings and goings of authorities in the city of Reynosa across the border from Texas, Mexican officials said Friday.

The cameras were powered by electric lines above the city streets and accessed the Internet through phone cables along the same poles, according to a statement from state authorities. The cameras included modems and were capable of operating wirelessly or through commercial providers' lines.

The revelation came one day after President Enrique Pena Nieto visited the city, but authorities said the cameras were seized Monday and Tuesday.

Several of the cameras were trained on an army base, while others captured movement outside a marine post, offices of the attorney general and state police as well as shopping centers, major thoroughfares and some neighborhoods.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/cartel-surveillance-cameras-found-mexican-border-city-31244188
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 23rd, 2015 at 4:53:45 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Americans think 1 in 4 people are gay.

Limbaugh joked about this once, saying especially the millennials think the number is 30% or something. At the time I figured they do estimate way high, but saying 30% was just Limbaugh's brand of satire. But in the poll, that group estimates 28%, a bulls-eye for Limbaugh's estimate.

Curiously, social liberal/conservative or Dem/GOP don't skew much outside the mean. So the mis-information is not polarized. That is a huge surprise to me, I would have expected more polarization.

The same poll shows people overestimate the portion of the black and hispanic population by a factor of 2.

This explains a lot. I always had the feeling that the average person, not just the LIP, overestimated it. Largely because so many people think TV is reality and base their opinions on that. But to over estimate by a factor of five to ten? Shows how uninformed most of the nation is.
The President is a fink.
May 23rd, 2015 at 11:39:48 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
It is often a situational belief: a young girl who complains all the men she meets are either married or want to do her hair knows she is exaggerating. I know one young flight attendant who moved to Los Angeles when she got her pilot's license and she chose to live in "boystown" (West Hollywood) because it was close to LAX, Van Nuys and Burbank and with her erratic hours she wanted to live somewhere that had streets full of men at all hours of the day or night but none of them particularly interested in her.

In Key West, in San Francisco and in the Russian River area its likely to be a great majority. Some communes restrict not just members but even visitors by their sexual orientation.
May 23rd, 2015 at 12:06:12 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman

Limbaugh joked about this once, saying especially the millennials think the number is 30% or something. .

Often when I had Blacks in my cab,
I would ask them what percentage
of the US was Black. Not one of them
was even close. The most common
answer was 50%. Others ranged from
25-40%. When I told them it was 13%,
some of them said I was lying. When
I told them there were almost as many
Latinos as Blacks, they would get pissed
at my lying.

Ignorance is thing of awe when it's on
display.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 25th, 2015 at 7:17:19 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
CHAPTICO, Md. – Police have charged seven suspects in a senior prank that released 72,000 ladybugs in a public high school.

Deputies say the pranksters, who were wearing masks and hoodies, released a swarm of ladybugs throughout the school while two others waited in a car.

One suspect ordered the ladybugs online, deputies say.

That's a lot of bugs.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/05/25/7-suspects-face-charges-in-senior-prank-that-released-swarm-ladybugs-in-high/
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 26th, 2015 at 2:36:45 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine

Ah, senior prank time. The school neighboring mine had a pig released by the seniors I was told, meanwhile my senior class was like me just waiting to get out.
The President is a fink.
May 26th, 2015 at 11:38:22 AM permalink
Evenbob
I was sad to leave HS. I liked reading
and wasn't real fond of working for
a living.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 26th, 2015 at 11:58:23 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
I was sad to leave HS. I liked reading
and wasn't real fond of working for
a living.

When I was a kid the adults mainly my maternal grandmother said, "when you are out working you will wish you were back in school!" Well I did like college, but I never missed grade school or high school for one second. Prussian education model designed to make obedient people who will sit in place and do as they are told all day.
The President is a fink.
May 26th, 2015 at 12:32:18 PM permalink
Evenbob
HS was better than college. In HS they
don't expect much, college was too much
like having a job.
May 27th, 2015 at 9:41:44 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: terapined
Love this Fark headline

Josh "The LGBT Community is a threat to children's safety" Duggar has confessed to molesting more than five girls and resigned from the Family Research Council. His parents knew for 12 years and covered it up

The story link
http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/21/us/josh-duggar-child-molestation-allegations/index.html

The story gets better.
Jim Duggar ran for senator.
His platform
"Rape and incest represent heinous crimes and as such should be treated as capital crimes."

http://web.archive.org/web/20030210014933/http://www.jimbob.info/position.html
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"