In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

May 28th, 2015 at 6:01:53 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Will conservatives support the religious freedom of Anne Susan DePrizio, a nondenominational minister in Alabama who was sentenced to 30 days in jail last month for her stance on marriage.

http://www.advocate.com/politics/marriage-equality/2015/05/25/watch-alabama-jails-fines-minister-after-performing-lesbian-we

Religious freedom is a 2 way street
:-)
Do conservatives really really want religious freedom for ALL

http://www.christianpost.com/news/indianas-marijuana-church-granted-tax-exempt-status-plans-to-test-limits-of-controversial-religious-freedom-law-at-first-worship-service-139645/
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 28th, 2015 at 7:12:43 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: terapined
Will conservatives support the religious freedom of Anne Susan DePrizio, a nondenominational minister in Alabama who was sentenced to 30 days in jail last month for her stance on marriage.

No, I do not support her. She was told not to do something at the courthouse and she kept doing it. She should have obeyed the law and just done the ceremonies off-site and all would be well. It is improper to drag religion into the matter, it is simple "personal" beliefs. She is a homophile and free to have that stance, however she is not free to do as she pleases on county property, she must follow the law there.

Quote:
Do conservatives really really want religious freedom for ALL

Well, liberals do not want it for ANY, except atheists maybe.
The President is a fink.
May 28th, 2015 at 10:02:32 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-05-28/military-accidentally-sends-live-anthrax-9-states-fedex#comments

"CNN has more:

Four lab workers in the United States and up to 22 overseas have been put in post-exposure treatment, a defense official said, following the revelation the U.S. military inadvertently shipped live anthrax samples in the past several days."
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 28th, 2015 at 11:44:04 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: AZDuffman
Well, liberals do not want it for ANY, except atheists maybe.

I am for religious freedom as long as no special laws are written to give religious orgs exceptions to laws everybody else follows.
I also am against the free ride religion gets.
You own property, pay a property tax. No free rides.
Many religions are created simply for somebody to get rich.
L Ron Hubbard
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 28th, 2015 at 11:57:00 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: terapined
I am for religious freedom as long as no special laws are written to give religious orgs exceptions to laws everybody else follows.
I also am against the free ride religion gets.
You own property, pay a property tax. No free rides.
Many religions are created simply for somebody to get rich.
L Ron Hubbard

I was curious so looked up who might be taxing religion.

Looks like a dozen or so countries pay a religious tax

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_tax
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 28th, 2015 at 12:11:52 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: rxwine
I was curious so looked up who might be taxing religion.

Looks like a dozen or so countries pay a religious tax

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_tax

This is great that some countries have a religious tax.
There are some religions that are not really religions.
Take scientology.
Not a religion.
They see the tax breaks religions get.
Therefore scientology claims they are a religion so they get the free ride.
May 29th, 2015 at 1:09:48 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: petroglyph
I'm an old Uniflite man myself. Blister years were best. ; ) Love a hull that will take an o6 shell.
Steel??

>Not my photo's.....Oh, I was about to ask about the girl in purple.

Some naval architects have tried to solve the capsizing problem with multiple weights that slide through the main hull to the leeward side, but the best solution seems to be the wave piercing ones that once they clear the water add enough weight to the windward side to provide lateral stability.

NOTE: As to Face's most sensible attitude toward the waters involved, yeah. The owners are rich, the sailors were two rich old yachtsmen from the UK and one rich young yachtsman from Natal. It seems the wreck has now sunk since it can not be relocated and questions the families had may go unanswered. Now as to a nautical war wagon in the Caribbean that could probably be arranged rather cheaply. Indeed many of those expensive boats just travel from one shoreside tavern to another.
May 29th, 2015 at 2:14:15 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Fleastiff
Steel??
Thick figerglass

>Not my photo's.....
Quote:
Oh, I was about to ask about the girl in purple.
That's part of why I mentioned they weren't my photo's. Same boat I had and lived on in several ports in Alaska. Thirty two ft. sports sedan. Twin Chryslers, all of 1.2 gallons per mile.

Quote:
Indeed many of those expensive boats just travel from one shoreside tavern to another.
If they were going anywhere, they would just have the crew move them and fly down to join the vessel when it's re-supplied.

We probably have both known people offered crew jobs.

Maybe a good job for Face? Wonderful place to raise a child, aboard, and home schooled.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 29th, 2015 at 2:28:24 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
How do blackmail laws work?

So a man approaches Dennis Hastert and threatens him: "Give me $3 million or I'll reveal your secret." If Hastert pays the hush money, wouldn't that make Hastert a victim of blackmail? He didn't threaten the man, the man threatened him! So rather than prosecute the anonymous blackmailer, the Feds are prosecuting Hastert for exceeding bank withdrawal laws. Weird. Seems to me the banking crime is far less serious than the blackmail crime.

On the other hand, the government's bizarre strategy might make more sense as the story unfolds. The Feds are hinting to the media that Hastert's secret involved underage high school boys. When you can't prosecute Al Capone for murder, bust him for tax evasion.
May 29th, 2015 at 3:26:12 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Not really. The prosecution is for lying to a federal officer. He should have just said 'Goodbye Gentlemen' and nothing more. A blackmailer doesn't need to have anything incriminating, just something that will make headlines and its cheaper to pay than lose your office.

Sometimes prosecutors go after drug kingpins, sometimes they make a cushy deal with a kingpin and round up all the underlings. They jury is not supposed to inquire into prosecutor's motivation.