In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

July 15th, 2015 at 5:31:18 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: reno

Incidentally, Fox News gave Trump more airtime in June than any other GOP candidate. Which would make Fox either a victim of the fraud or an accomplice.

Of course they gave him more air time, he is the most interesting personality. Personality tunes people in. Various candidates get outsize coverage for various reasons. Democrat primaries in 2008 is a prime example. POTUS campaigns are a chess match. Trump has brought his queen out very, very early. I highly doubt he is a Hillary plant. He has off and on talked about running for years. With the big field he currently sees a fun party and invited himself. He also may just be concerned about the direction his country is going and want to force attention on the issue. He is drawing huge so he seems to have tapped an issue people care about.
The President is a fink.
July 17th, 2015 at 2:31:47 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: AZDuffman
He also may just be concerned about the direction his country is going and want to force attention on the issue. He is drawing huge so he seems to have tapped an issue people care about.

Trump can't win. It's simple arithmetic. Hispanics comprise 17% of the U.S. population.

Bush recieved a solid 40% of the Hispanic vote in 2004, McCain got 31% in 2008, and Romney got 27% in 2012.

Back in May 2015, only 60 percent of Hispanics disliked Trump. But after he started referring to them as "rapists" in June, his popularity among Hispanics dropped substantially. A July Washington Post-ABC News poll found that 81 percent of Hispanic voters had an unfavorable opinion of Trump, compared to just 13 percent who viewed him favorably. His net favorable rating with Latino voters is negative 68 points. Even by the most charitable assessment, those results can only be summarized as: Hispanic voters don't like Trump.

Liberal partisans loved to mock George W. Bush as being a stupid idiot, but in retrospect that was incorrect. Bush was smart enough to hire the right campaign team and disciplined enough to listen to them. Bush's team (read: Karl Rove) crunched the numbers and figured out that the road to the White House required netting a sizeable portion of the Hispanic vote. Trump hasn't figured it out.
July 17th, 2015 at 2:50:20 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Trump can't win. It's simple arithmetic. Hispanics comprise 17% of the U.S. population.

Walker if the nominee will take the election and at that time Trump will be working up his next big promo. Let Trump be the lightning rod. By the time he is gone from the race it will be forgotten. Meanwhile the Democrat Party will keep writing off the white vote, still by far the largest. We have had out-there candidates for years. Remember Sharpton and Jackson?
The President is a fink.
July 17th, 2015 at 3:26:44 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Walker if the nominee will take the election and at that time Trump will be working up his next big promo.

If you were Walker's campaign manager, what strategy would you use to beat Trump? (Personally, I'd appeal to the devout Christians in the GOP to consider Trump's parade of hot young trophy wives. Trump is a regular on Howard Stern's show, there's got to be plenty of vulgar, dirty audio soundbytes they can dig up.)

Much to the dismay of the party elites, Trump's popularity just keeps growing & growing among the grassroots GOP primary voters.

Meanwhile the Democrat Party will keep writing off the white vote, still by far the largest.

You really think the Dems are writing off the white vote? Jeez, you make it sound like Romney got 80% or 90% of whites to vote for him. Rubbish. Truth is, Romney got 59% of the white vote.

I'm not sure the GOP's emphasis on white voters is a good investment for the long-term growth of the party:

July 17th, 2015 at 4:16:43 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
edited
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 17th, 2015 at 4:37:23 PM permalink
AZDuffman
If you were Walker's campaign manager, what strategy would you use to beat Trump? (Personally, I'd appeal to the devout Christians in the GOP to consider Trump's parade of hot young trophy wives. Trump is a regular on Howard Stern's show, there's got to be plenty of vulgar, dirty audio soundbytes they can dig up.)

Much to the dismay of the party elites, Trump's popularity just keeps growing & growing among the grassroots GOP primary voters.

I would do everything I could to copy how Kerry took down Dean in 2004. Lots of parallels, and Walker is far more accomplished and competent than Kerry. Rope-a-dope. Let Trump punch himself out while you build the "ground game." Lots of retail campaigning. Trump is not going to get in the trenches. Try to get Trump to steal from Jeb.

You really think the Dems are writing off the white vote? Jeez, you make it sound like Romney got 80% or 90% of whites to vote for him. Rubbish. Truth is, Romney got 59% of the white vote.

I'm not sure the GOP's emphasis on white voters is a good investment for the long-term growth of the party

Yes, the Democrat Party has written off the white vote since at least 2000. They dump on whites all the time. Pro-affirmative action. Supporting colleges who admit less qualified minorities over "diversity." Howard Dean supposedly landed in some flyover state and said, "lets see what these hicks want." As we have seen on the site here, be against the embrace of illegal immigration and you are a "racist." Looking back it started in the 1970s, but back then they had way more union households.

I do not see the GOP emphasis on white votes, more of that they do not pander and micro-market to minorities. They more just have one message, all welcome but do not wait for an engraved invitation. The irony is the GOP field has the minorities this time and the Democrats several aging, white liberals.
The President is a fink.
July 22nd, 2015 at 12:16:43 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
(Charlize) Theron recalled that Obama said he enjoyed being on Kimmel's show because he reaches a younger audience. The "Mad Max: Fury Road" star then blurted out, "Well, if you're looking for a different demographic, I can take you to a strip club."

Mortified, she added, "I couldn't sleep for four weeks because every time I closed my eyes, I went 'Agh, oh my god, I said that.'"

For some reason, I'm thinking Obama couldn't sleep so well right away either.

reminder pic of Charlize Theron

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 22nd, 2015 at 7:21:31 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Watched the Sandra Bland video
Clearly both sides escalated this from a totally minor no signal violation when changing lanes.

What is shocking is the police released what they claim is the complete video.
Wow, what a crummy editing job.
Cars passing by totally disappearing while passing by.
Clearly not complete.
I wonder what was cut out?
Pretty damming to say complete when obviously edited.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 22nd, 2015 at 8:03:30 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: terapined
Watched the Sandra Bland video
Clearly both sides escalated this from a totally minor no signal violation when changing lanes.

I saw it this morning, did not see any editing except by the TV Station for probably running time.

Clearly the moment when he asked her to put the cigarette out is when the figurative control rods were pulled and chain reaction started. Now, he could have said a second time in a firm manner, "M'amm, I am asking you a second time to put the cigarette out while you are being detained." OTOH, she should not even have lit up during the process. This is common sense.

The first thing to remember is that she was being detained. When you are being detained, your behavior must change a bit. You need to be polite. You do not reach or make sudden movements. Both your and the officer's situational awareness has gone to a higher level. The goal is to end the situation and move on. You fight, if need be, in court later.

What must be realized is that if you wise off like this you force the officer to escalate. If you look at the stories of blacks in this situation that have made the news since 2009, a common thread is they escalated a situation that might easily have been solved by being polite. That professor guy who locked himself out of his house and the cops asked for ID, just show the ID. Instead he said, "YOUR MOTHER CAN SEE MY ID!" The guy in Ferguson, all he had to do was get off the street, Here, all she had to do was apologize and put out the cigarette. In each case, they instead escalated it.

I expect the usual race hustlers to make a field day of it. They will make more calls to federalize the police. Her family will sue, trying to hit the lottery. The cop will have to go into hiding.
The President is a fink.
July 22nd, 2015 at 8:58:45 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I saw it this morning, did not see any editing except by the TV Station for probably running time.

Check out the edits yourself
http://bennorton.com/dashcam-video-of-violent-arrest-of-sandra-bland-was-edited/

"A man leaves the truck in the center of the frame at 25:05. For the next 15 seconds, he walks toward the right of the frame and leaves. At 25:19, he suddenly appears again, promptly disappears, then returns at 25:22. The same footage of him walking is subsequently repeated"

"At 32:37, a white car drives into the left side of the frame, then promptly disappears in the middle of the road. Seconds later, the same car drives back into the frame and subsequently turns left. This footage is later looped several times.
A different white car also drives into the left side of the frame and turns left from 32:49 to 32:59. The previous white car again briefly enters the frame at 33:04, and once more at 33:06, yet it suddenly disappears both times. When these cuts are made in the footage, the lights on top of the truck in the center of the frame also abruptly cut out.
At 33:08, the exact same footage from 32:37 is repeated, followed by the same second white car at 33:17. "
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"