In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

June 26th, 2015 at 3:33:29 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
June 26th, 2015 at 10:23:33 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
strange: emirates flight to dubai from sydney declared Mayday 300 miles east of sri Lanka but upon landing at columbo's airport there was no fire or smoke in the cockpit and the emergency was downgraded to a "technical fault. airport not yet modified for a380s.
June 27th, 2015 at 5:58:42 PM permalink
AZDuffman
This is completely insane.

Currently 4 million Californians -- 17 percent of the state's adult population -- have a suspended license for failure to appear or pay.

Think about that for a minute. Assuming not every adult is licensed to drive in the first place and some minor rounding and you get that 1 in 5 drivers in CA has a suspended license! For failure to pay only! Of course, some people do pay and get a suspended license, say for speeding or a DUI. One wonders what is the total of suspended licenses out there?

CA has long been in need of revenue for its huge state government. It is easy to see where for years they decide to add another $25 or $50 surcharge and not notice or care how it totally adds up. It seems to be just another part of the prison-industrial complex where the lower classes get jammed up in a legal system and no way out.

Many jobs require a driver's license, sometimes even when you rarely if ever drive. (My dad was like this, he was uber-careful of any kind of ticket.) I used to have to hire people in a job that required driving, lots of people had a record so bad it was no-go. To imagine 1 in 5 blows my mind. Then there is that most people need to drive somewhat to get to work.

You all have heard me talk about this 20% underclass who just cannot get off the rim of the edge of life. Funny how this number manages to add to the same 20%! The moral of the story may well be that you may vote the guys who promise to "tax the rich" into office, but in the end they will get the rest in some other way. So think before you vote for more of a welfare state.

Meanwhile, CA should be ashamed of itself. Jerry Brown is a loon, but I will applaud where it is due for his amnesty here.
The President is a fink.
June 28th, 2015 at 2:29:12 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: reno
Damnit, I had a great story about a skunk (the animal) that raised its tail and hissed at me last night. I've never had a skunk threaten me, my adrenaline was pumping. I live in an urban area where skunks are rare, which made the encounter all the more unnerving.

I stayed up for all night and then had to work all day. Complete monsoon, non stop torrential downpours and a high of only 62*. After 9 hours of that and being up all night, I ended up passing out in my chair at 6p. Instead of waking up a few hours later like usual, I woke up completely confused, not knowing what happened or even what day or time it was.

I got up, saw that it was now 0500, and decided to start my day. After being up 36hrs and then sleeping 12 straight, I was still out of it. I crept through my dark house, eyes still closed, grabbed my smokes, and stepped out for one. Soon as I lit it, I heard the unmistakable sound of tin foil rustling.

Open my eyes, focus, sure enough there's a skunk right in front of me, just looking at me. Maybe 5' away. I was so out of it about all I could think was "Well, this might as well happen", so I just closed the door and had my smoke. It just sort of eyed me a moment, took one more whiff of the foil it had scattered, and waddled out my back door.

Thank the gods. Last time a skunk lit up in my garage I missed two days of school from the stink.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
June 28th, 2015 at 4:12:16 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Face
After being up 36hrs and then sleeping 12 straight, I was still out of it.

I'm too old for the playboy lifestyle.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 28th, 2015 at 6:53:31 PM permalink
Face
Quote: Evenbob
I'm too old for the playboy lifestyle.

Me too, EB. Jesus Christ, me too.

I couldn't tell you how many times I said to myself "You're not a junkie anymore. There's no reason for this!" I was completely wrecked, and it really did feel as if I had been on a bender even though I hadn't had anything but 30 cigs and a mess of Mt Dew to stay awake. Bleh. Such a dirty feeling being up that long. I've been in a weird daze ever since, almost like PCS.

Just got the chills thinking about it. Hopefully that was the last time I'll ever do that.

When you see a skunk that you just surprised only 5' away and just think "/sigh. Whatever", you know you're not quite with it =)
June 28th, 2015 at 6:59:25 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Face

When you see a skunk that you just surprised only 5' away and just think "/sigh. Whatever", you know you're not quite with it =)

Skunks are the worst, even though a mom
and her baby skunks are pretty cool in
their little line.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 28th, 2015 at 7:39:19 PM permalink
Face
I rather like them. Smart as the devil, they are. And they look sort of puffy and fat, but they're nimble and slick as a weasel. Cute, too.

But setting one off is definitely bad news. I love the smell of skunk when it's been properly diluted. I think most country folks like it. But straight out the pipe it is so god awfully overpowering your olfactories damn near beat their way out of your head from it. It's like the burning of some chemically manufactured material, like PVC and styrofoam, only condensed. I seriously did miss two days of grade school when the dog set one off in the garage.

Funny (gruesome) story, I plunked one coming back from somewhere my senior year. Didn't take long to hatch an idea for the senior prank. So after we dropped off the Probe GT, I hopped in my S-10 to retrieve it. The plan was to drop it off in the front foyer of the school for a good surprise the following morning. Stupid me with my cloth tonneau cover didn't foresee the problem ><

My truck was never the same. Even months later that smell was still baking out of it.
June 29th, 2015 at 12:44:28 PM permalink
AZDuffman
WMT discriminates against a customer, refuses to make a cake!

The whole thing shows where we are headed with our PC culture.
The President is a fink.
June 30th, 2015 at 6:25:24 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
A lot of gay pride parades in various cities all over the world.
A lot of odd sights to see.
Not talking about the people in the parade.
Orthodox Jews are against gay marraige so they protest, well, try to protest, hmm, protrest yet dont attend protest.
They felt they just had to protest, but they just could not bring themselves to view the parade.
The bizarre answer.
Hire a bunch on mexican day laborers, pay them to dress up as orthodox jews and protest.
bizarre
http://www.mediaite.com/online/orthodox-jews-cant-protest-gay-pride-parade-hire-mexicans-instead/
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"