In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

January 19th, 2022 at 1:05:37 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
"A virtual focus group conducted on behalf of liberal organizations found suburban women described Biden as “old” “incoherent” “sleepy” and “lazy,” according to details published by The Washington Post."

They left out saggy-assed and poopypants'd.. LOL
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 19th, 2022 at 1:31:51 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
They also left out "dangerous," "narcissistic," "seditious" and "pathologically dishonest."

Oh, sorry, I thought Trump was the topic.
January 19th, 2022 at 3:27:40 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote:
BREAKING: Supreme Court rejects Trump's bid to block his administration's records from being handed to the Jan. 6 House committee

So. Much. Winning.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 19th, 2022 at 3:40:53 PM permalink
missedhervee
"Only Justice Clarence Thomas said the court should have granted Trump’s motion to block the handover of the documents."

So much for court packing.
January 19th, 2022 at 4:22:29 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: missedhervee
"Only Justice Clarence Thomas said the court should have granted Trump’s motion to block the handover of the documents."

Nobody has even attempted to pack the SCOTUS since Democrat FDR tried.
The President is a fink.
January 19th, 2022 at 4:53:06 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: missedhervee

I have no doubt his wife convinced him
She is a hard-core Trumper
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 19th, 2022 at 5:12:37 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman

He should have succeeded, I don't agree with everything that he did, but during the depression and then WWII he was force to implement a number of extreme measures that probably would be ruled unconstitutional by all but the most loyal judges. I think (I could be wrong) he ended up influencing the Court more than any other President by mere fact of being in power for four terms (not quite four full terms), but still 12+ years is a lot of opportunity to appoint Judges (not just to the Supreme Court). And, the Supreme Court pushed back on a lot of what he was trying to do.

But, Court Packing attempt was massively unpopular (even by his own party who had control, and even his own VP was outraged) because it made him look like a Dictator. He was lucky in the sense that he was able to stay in power because of the Depression and WWII, but in normal scenarios that could have been political suicide (which is probably why others are so hesitant to try or even speak about it). I don't think, absent WWIII we will see another attempt of Court packing (we have already seen that even economic turmoil is not enough to push in that direction). Roosevelt in many ways pushed the Constitution to its limits (and beyond), but he was successful.
January 19th, 2022 at 5:28:59 PM permalink
missedhervee
Quote: AZDuffman

I used the term as short hand for Trump ram-rodding through the appointment of those republican ideologues currently sitting on the court.

He must have expected a "Quid pro quo" for having nominated them, a "scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" deal.

Oops.
January 19th, 2022 at 6:12:39 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote:
Just in: Jan. 6 committee says now they have “already begun to receive records that the former President had hoped to keep hidden” after Supreme Court rejected Trump’s request for an emergency stay

The deep state moves fast.

Donny is pissing his pants (and probably getting aroused by the smell thinking of his fond memories in the Moscow Ritz-Carlton).
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 19th, 2022 at 6:41:23 PM permalink
missedhervee
Maybe, but do really think the man was stupid enough to leave a clear trail?

It's one thing to subpoena and receive a list of phone numbers he called or accepted calls from; it's quite another to subpoena and receive incriminating writings such as e-mails.

Given the (unfortunate and undeserved) gravitas associated with the fat oaf these days no charges should be leveled until or unless they've got him by the balls.

Jail to the (former) chief!

To the dunking stool!